D&D 5E Licensing so far....

JesterOC

Explorer
I guess I have less of kind view of their public relations ever since someone complained that it felt like an alpha (not me) and a developer replied that yes it is more like an alpha and it you don't like it you can leave. Which is not the best way to handle a frustrated user. The post has since been removed.

But I don't have any ill will towards them, I want them to succeed, it is just that this is looking like WoTC's standard digital tool release. I would like them to create multiple license agreements with multiple companies and let the best tool win.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Perhaps the problem lies with Android playing second (or third) fiddle to iOS. But they are talking about being almost ready to deploy iOS, but I would hazard a guess that the Android version is about 1-2 months off.
Android doesn't play second fiddle. Android is more difficult to support because there are so many (theoretically infinite) hardware configurations to support. Even with the two new iPhone sizes, there's still a relatively small number of configurations to worry about for iOS. It's not hard to find app developers being candid about the fact that while they produced for both platforms, just keeping the Android side up to date and bug-free quickly became too much for them to manage, as much as they might wish otherwise. (In many cases, they're Android users in their personal lives.)

An open platform is a double-edged sword.

But an open platform would also solve this: There's no shortage of D20 apps, for all platforms (I'd bet even Nokia and Windows Phone are set for them). If WotC would open up their material with a new OGL license, the marketplace would quickly create all the tools needed. Premium packages like Dungeonscape would still have an audience, but other niches would get filled very quickly, at at a variety of quality and price points.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
The best thing about 5e is that I don't feel I need Dungeonscape or spell cards or even adventure modules. The core system is very streamlined, it's easy to prepare an adventure and easy to run. But as the thread isn't about that, I'd give WotC a B regarding licensing. Horde of the DQ is far from perfect, but isn't bad, especially for a product released at the same time as the PHB. Gf9 dropped the ball a bit with spell cards imo from what I've heard. The miniatures are decent, about what I'd expect, I don't regret purchasing a few boxes. Dungeonscape seems good for an alpha, and I have to agree that it's not bad so far. I'll have to reserve judgment on it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I guess I have less of kind view of their public relations ever since someone complained that it felt like an alpha (not me) and a developer replied that yes it is more like an alpha and it you don't like it you can leave. Which is not the best way to handle a frustrated user. The post has since been removed.
Developers likely spent their college years learning coding, not PR. And a small team may not have a PR person to manage their forums. It's not ideal, but hardly an inexplicable scenario.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Uh, we don't even have the DM's guide. It seems that they aren't even done making the game itself yet, so why should digital tools be out already?

Yeah, this. And even then, a couple months doesn't seem like a very long time to wait for digital support. Then gain, I come from a generation where you had to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery, so I guess I'm more patient than the new generation ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases