Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Interesting stuff.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Lets test something:

Paladin 7 - Oath of Vengeance - Relentless Avenger: "When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, you can move up to half your speed immediately after the attack and as part of the same reaction. This movement doesn't provoke AoO"

"and as part of the same reaction" I would interpret this as a key requirement. If your OA doesn't use up your reaction then no triggering of Relentless avenger since that was intended as the limiting mechanism. Since this is effectively in playtest mode I wouldn't get too hung up on RAW.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Tunnel Fighter should have been called Opportunist. EDIT: Scratch that, forgot about the Monk class ability by that name. Bleah.

Also, as a fighting style, I think it'd be better served by removing the bonus action requirement and the melee opportunity attacks against creatures that moves more than 5 feet while within reach.

Alternatively, add a bit more to the style as written (+1 to an attribute?) and upgrade it to a feat.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I really like this Unearthed Arcana article. The Shadow Sorcerer has just become my favorite sorcerer origin yet! The Undying
Light Warlock is very... weird, but in a good way!

Ristamar

Adventurer
Would Tunnel Shooter work without the +1 to hit? (Just the ignore cover/fire in melee)?

I'd prefer it kept the +1 to hit and dropped the "ignore cover" element. I don't like it in Sharpshooter, either. It removes a huge tactical element from combat, though at least it's restricted it to 30' in Close Quarters Shooter.

Zephyros

First Post
"and as part of the same reaction" I would interpret this as a key requirement. If your OA doesn't use up your reaction then no triggering of Relentless avenger since that was intended as the limiting mechanism. Since this is effectively in playtest mode I wouldn't get too hung up on RAW.

I read this "part of the same reaction" as a timing event and not a requirement, because the trigger is the Attack of Opportunity and not "when you use your reaction to make a attack of opportunity...". But maybe the DM could set this requirement to balance things out, not a problem.

Edit. But then, if he use his reaction because of the second part of the Tunnel Fighting he could repeat the strategy at least one time ^^

Mercule

Adventurer
Thinking on this more, I've decided I don't like the random table of quirks. It's not that I mind having quirks offered, but I really, really don't like the soft implication that you have to have one. So, it's probably just a presentation thing.

Serpine

Explorer
So I was just thinking of the entertainment of a third level multi-class character with Fighter 1 / Ranger 2 that takes both Archery *and* Close Quarters Shooter as fighting styles, one from each class. +3 to hit and various special effects.

Likewise, with Undying Light, if you actually want a living Patrons, it'd be as easy to introduce one as it would be to remove the devil from the Fiendish pact.

Indeed. Or you could have Celestial Warlocks (I like that suggestion in this thread much better then Undying Light) have to spend time / resources questing to find ways to keep their body and mind from deteriorating under the onslaught of energies that should not be accessed directly. Fluff is adaptable like that.

jgsugden

Legend
Archery + Close Quarters on a multiclass or a Champion is going to be ...very accurate.

Tunnel Fighter + Pole Arm + Oath of Vengeance shouldn't combine for the aformentioned reaction requirement on the Oath, but just Tunnel Fighter + Pole Arm is ugly- a 5 X 5 box where you get one attack using no action whenever an enemy enters the area. A Human (Variant) Fighter can pull that off at level 1. That is ridiculous.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Time to "Disengage!" And advance.

It just reminds me that at the point a tactic/defense becomes too good. You never get to use it.

Remove ads

Remove ads