• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Interesting stuff.

MYV

First Post
I don't know if anyone already noticed since i haven't read all the posts here but,
close quarter shooter AND the archery fighting style are not mutually exclusive.
If you manage to get both (from multiclassing or champion) you get all those benefits AND + 3 to hit...
Thats so OP IMO

Uchawi

First Post
I still wish there was a way to focus on specific martial classes to grant ability, versus granting a style that impacts spell casting hybrid classes in addition to mundane. I guess one way to distinguish the style is to set the maximum amount of AOO based on the extra attack feature (total amount of attacks per level).

rollingForInit

First Post
Unlimited AoOs caused a lot of problems in Pathfinder. My group that has come over from Pathfinder are already crushing 5E encounters. I don't think I want to see Sentinel and Polearm Master builds with unlimited AoOs locking down monsters that are already too easy to beat. Archery is already too strong. Some tank build with Sentinel that can lock down a bunch of creatures why Sharpshooter/Archery Style players blow them down isn't something I look forward to as a DM. I would prefer the game stay more fluid without ridiculous mechanics turning it into a game of group synergy absent any sense of dramatic and dynamic combat.

My group had the same "issues" in 4e. Our group powergames quite a lot and we play quite strategically, so we cut through "hard" encounters like they were nothing. Just gotta design tougher encounters if that's the case, and if that is a problem. Have stronger enemies. Have more enemies. Have enemies that the players aren't used to dealing with. Have encounters that puts the party at a disadvantage.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't know if anyone already noticed since i haven't read all the posts here but,
close quarter shooter AND the archery fighting style are not mutually exclusive.
If you manage to get both (from multiclassing or champion) you get all those benefits AND + 3 to hit...
Thats so OP IMO

Well considering that you have to be a high level Champion or a fighter/ranger, its not so bad.

Multiclassing is bad in 5th. Powerful combos are the only things making it decent.

As for champions, an OP basic attack is the whole point of it.

Weathercock

First Post
My group had the same "issues" in 4e. Our group powergames quite a lot and we play quite strategically, so we cut through "hard" encounters like they were nothing. Just gotta design tougher encounters if that's the case, and if that is a problem. Have stronger enemies. Have more enemies. Have enemies that the players aren't used to dealing with. Have encounters that puts the party at a disadvantage.

The problem is that it sets a new precedent for the rest of the party to meet. If one ability is so powerful that it allows a character to easily breeze through every battle, then the rest of your party members might feel not only are the challenges put before them trivial, but that they're also left out or even a liability compared to their superior comrade. On the other hand, if you make your encounters far more difficult to compensate for the overpowered member of your party, especially something as overpowered as this, you risk the possibility of making things too difficult for the other members of your party to keep up. Both ends have the effect of pushing both players to end up narrowing their ability selections towards a more overcentralized, stagnant set just in order to keep up.

For players who are more casual and conceptual about their mechanical choices, this ends up leaving them feeling far less useful compared to their more mechanically inclined players. And while that might not necessarily get in the way of RP directly, feeling like a liability or even a non-participant in combat can definitely take its wear on a player. And for those who do like to metagame, it lowers the breadth of viable options to play around with considerably, giving them less to work with and making gameplay shallow and stagnant.

MarkB

Legend
I really like the Shadow Sorcerer quirks - they're flavourful, and I could have fun with a character with any one of them (or even all of them).

The Undying Warlock's flaws, on the other hand, seem boring and samey, to the extent that I can see no practical difference between Option 1 and Option 6.

MYV

First Post
Well considering that you have to be a high level Champion or a fighter/ranger, its not so bad.

Multiclassing is bad in 5th. Powerful combos are the only things making it decent.

As for champions, an OP basic attack is the whole point of it.

Well i disagree,
a champion has to be 10th lvl, wich is only half way, so not so high lvl.
while multiclassing is pretty strong in this edition considering how many strong options are gained in the 1st few class lvls.

For example for a ranger, multiclassing one lvl into only 1 lvl of fighter to get +2 to hit is a no brainer and stricly better than going full ranger.
And since the combo of the 2 styles is so powerful and sinergic, its gonna be convenient for many builds to just multiclass.

Gimul

Explorer
It allows a player with the fighting style to swing far more times than character without that fighting style when a large number of AoOs are allowed. It also creates problems if they create feats like Polearm Master that allow for AoOs when approaching a player or Sentinel when allowing AoOs for a player that moves away regardless of using Disengage. It will create long-term problems with any feat that allows an AoO for other situations. I watched this crap with Combat Reflexes in Pathfinder with abilities like Come and Get Me where the player was able to swing an absurd number of times. Combat Reflexes that maxed AoOs at a Dex modifier + 1 was bad enough. When the Mythic Adventures book came out allowing for unlimited AoOs, Come and Get Me and some similar abilities can't remember the name of became ridiculous.

Allowing an unlimited AoO abilities opens the door to absurdity. It becomes worse when some game designer forgets and puts in an ability that synergizes with a feat to create ridiculousness. 5E is already far too easy a game. A fighting style like this just makes a DM's ability to challenge more difficult.

I've dealt long enough with extra AoO min-maxing in Pathfinder. It's one of the things I hated about that game. AoOs are supposed to be limited. I'm putting a limit on the AoOs. I hope Mearls gets control of this kind of crap quickly.

On top of that, being able to swing that many times compared to say something with much better reflexes looks stupid in my mind's eye. I
Adding a ranged attack option to your monster/npc stat block is not challenging. Neither is actually attacking the tank instead of ignoring him. Nor is handwaving 10'-15' of movement or not laying out every grid with choke points.

Can a character get an absurd number of attacks? Sure if you feed him a conveyor belt of lemurs; but aside from allowing a player to feel awesome or force a situation to complain about, why would you? Those 1 billion lemurs that just streamed past the character happily triggering OAs, could have each simply thrown a rock and obliterated him.

I can understand simply not liking something, or recognizing that something may be open to potential abuse. But the DM, and not a player, is in control of an encounter; and I don't really see how a "rules lawyer" type player would hold any advantage in the application of this fighting style.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I must say i am impressed with this UA i think the ranger is heading in the right direction minus those god forsaken spells!!!!! The shadow sorcerer is great crammed full of flavor however i feel it is a bit of a slap in the face to BM hunters as it attacks all on its own

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well i disagree,
a champion has to be 10th lvl, wich is only half way, so not so high lvl.
while multiclassing is pretty strong in this edition considering how many strong options are gained in the 1st few class lvls.

For example for a ranger, multiclassing one lvl into only 1 lvl of fighter to get +2 to hit is a no brainer and stricly better than going full ranger.
And since the combo of the 2 styles is so powerful and sinergic, its gonna be convenient for many builds to just multiclass.

10th level is high level at most tables according to players. Few tables get that high.

And multiclassing is a nerf as it slows down your progression too much. You have to you power combinations just to compete

So no. Stacking these 2 styles is strong but its a HUGE nerf if you dip more than 2 levels of either class.

Remove ads

Remove ads