• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Light, Dark, Underdark - November's Unearthed Arcana

Interesting stuff.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I really just don't understand how so many DMs here have all their monsters constantly rushing *around* the guy in front that letting that Tunnel Fighter guy take two to four additional swings at them is really such a huge deal. Do NONE of your monsters ever just stop and attack the guy in front?

If you don't want the Tunnel Fighter to take so many "free" Opportunity Attacks... have all your monsters just gang up on the Tunnel Fighter instead!

I think too many times DMs have this ridiculous AD&D urge to "game the system" by always trying to take out the squishies in the back!... when in truth, there are very few monsters that would have both the intelligence to go after the less-armored caster in back, while at the same time have the stupidity to try and rush past the guy with the huge honking greatsword standing in the way.

For those kind of monsters... they each DESERVE to get a single wallop as they run on by.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It's weird how Shadow Sorcerer gives you a use for sorcery points at level 1, even though you don't have any sorcery points until level 2.

Well, that's a good catch. And I agree, at first blush, that it what it sounds like/how it was written...and should have been more clear...assuming that is not their intention (since it would be some sloppy bad design to not know what it is you are actually writing for/with).

However, with a second look, it could be (rather easily) meant that you get to do that as you level/get sorcery points. Though, again, "clear language" or not, they really could have gotten/should have been able to easily get that across without confusion.

IOW: At 1st level, this feature gives you darkvision. At 2nd level (or any time after when you actually HAVE sorcery points), you can spend a SP to cast Darkness. And then, any darkness you cast in this fashion/with this feature, you can see through.

So it's an ability that you get at 1st level, but it has multiple level "parts." Least, I think, it's a plausible simple interpretation that doesn't "break" anything. So that's how I'll use it (if I ever do).

Weathercock

First Post
I don't think it would work like that...
while the OA's happens before the triggering action, and OA for entering reach as for polearm master has to happen once the enemy is already inside your reach, otherwise you can't hit him. so you really only get 1 free attack, then they are inside your reach even if you stop them.
and tbh you can do this even without the style... the style only makes it apply to more creatures

They are inside your reach, but thanks to Sentinel, you end up (usually) being safely outside of theirs, as they're forced to stop 10 feet away from you. All that's left is to make your normal attacks against the enemies now harmlessly within your reach, and then simply step back and repeat the process on your next turn.

I really just don't understand how so many DMs here have all their monsters constantly rushing *around* the guy in front that letting that Tunnel Fighter guy take two to four additional swings at them is really such a huge deal. Do NONE of your monsters ever just stop and attack the guy in front?

If you don't want the Tunnel Fighter to take so many "free" Opportunity Attacks... have all your monsters just gang up on the Tunnel Fighter instead!

I think too many times DMs have this ridiculous AD&D urge to "game the system" by always trying to take out the squishies in the back!... when in truth, there are very few monsters that would have both the intelligence to go after the less-armored caster in back, while at the same time have the stupidity to try and rush past the guy with the huge honking greatsword standing in the way.

For those kind of monsters... they each DESERVE to get a single wallop as they run on by.

Sentinal+Polearm Mastery means that any enemy with less than 10 feet of range means that they don't actually get to attack the tunnel fighter at the front, just stare menacingly at him while he slowly pokes them to oblivion.

Of course, you could tailor every single encounter to revolve around your group's tunnel fighter, but that might also run the risk of making other players feel alienated.

Last edited by a moderator:

MYV

First Post
They are inside your reach, but thanks to Sentinel, you end up (usually) being safely outside of theirs, as they're forced to stop 10 feet away from you. All that's left is to make your normal attacks against the enemies now harmlessly within your reach, and then simply step back and repeat the process on your next turn.

If they have 5ft reach yes, but as i said before you can do this without the fighting style already...
We can argue that poleram master is an OP feat (i think so) but it has nothing to do with tunnel fighter.

Moreover after the 1st few lvls, many monsters are of Large size, thus having 10 ft reach, and making this whole combo useless for defending yourself.

Mercule

Adventurer
Fair point. I'm seeing a lot more movement in 5E than in 3E (which is good, IMO). I'm not sure whether it's so much that monsters charge past the front line as that they shift during combat to avoid being sandwiched with the Rogue, reach the slightly squishier Wizard (who shouldn't be that close to the front, IMO), and other minor steps that leave them within the threatened area of the meat shield but still able to select their targets. The net impact of the Tunnel Fighter style would be a single AoO per round -- I think; it's really something I'd have to see in play.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Moreover after the 1st few lvls, many monsters are of Large size, thus having 10 ft reach, and making this whole combo useless for defending yourself.

Size is not an indicator of reach. If you scrub through the Monster Manual I think you may be surprised by how many large creatures do not have reach greater than 5'.

Usually reach is from Huge humanoids (Giants), or large creatures with snake-like necks or long tails/tentacles (like dragons, hydras, and well, snakes).

Quartz

Hero
I don't know if anyone already noticed since i haven't read all the posts here but,
close quarter shooter AND the archery fighting style are not mutually exclusive.
If you manage to get both (from multiclassing or champion) you get all those benefits AND + 3 to hit...
Thats so OP IMO

Who says the bonuses stack? CQS is overpowered on its own anyway.

Quartz

Hero
3. A Dragon Sorcerer going for fire could benefit from a level of Warlock (Undying Light) for Charisma to fire (and radiant) damage. Once they hit 6th level Sorcerer for Elemental Affinity they could be adding 2xChr all fire spells.

I forget where it is in the books, but there's an explicit entry somewhere that says you never stack the same bonus.

Remove ads

Remove ads