ZEITGEIST List of Pop Culture References in Zeitgeist

This is real niche, but there is a figure of speech, "A pun is the lowest form of humor."

Some genius later invented a story about a group of comedians who get lost in the mountains with only two books: a collection of puns, and a naturalist's guide to mountain cats. They were getting stalked by something, and so - hoping to get some advice on surviving - they flipped to the section on pumas, and learned that puma species are named after conquerors. The Carthaginian puma is seen on the highest peaks. The Mongol puma is seen in middle elevations.

One of the comedians points out that they're actually in a mountain valley, at a pretty low elevation. So what cat is this the habitat for?

Well it turns out, "A Hun is the lowest form of puma."

---

I'd just remembered that joke when I needed to come up with a name for the evil ocean pirate plane in the Gyre.

Tormyr

Adventurer
So I think I found an obscure reference, not necessarily "pop culture". There is an oil painting of an explosion in the player's guide section "Explosive Alchemicals" that is titled "The Explosion of the Delft Magazine". Was Stover Delft named after the city in the Netherlands?

The Khalundurinn was explicitly requested by the comic's author, who pledged to our Admiral o the High Seas project on Kickstarter at the tier that would have us name a ship whatever he wanted.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Bree is at least as old als LotR, I suppose :)

But I have to admit that I regularly draw comparisons to ZG in a couple of shows that I watched. The last ones were Carnival Row (d'oh), The Alienist and Fullmetal Alchemist.
And I still believe that there would be one WoW designer who knows RangerWickett's adventures.

Remove ads