D&D 3E/3.5 List of Problem 3.5e spells? Where?

ciaran00

Explorer
Also, any DM worth his salt will make sure that any wish from an efreeti is NOT worth 1,000 or even 1,000,000 XP. I would *totally* grant the wish. My players would be smart enough never to ask.

ciaran

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
ciaran00 said:
Of course they cease to exist. You can't CURE people anymore. Doesn't mean that time reverses and they don't get cured in the past because the spell ran out. See the distinction? Next point, please.
I think you've missed the point.....anyway.....

Hardhead

Explorer
ciaran00 said:
Also, any DM worth his salt will make sure that any wish from an efreeti is NOT worth 1,000 or even 1,000,000 XP. I would *totally* grant the wish. My players would be smart enough never to ask.

ciaran

So you'd grant the wish and then screw them over somehow? Wish says "You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.)" If they just wish for something that falls under one of the "standard" uses though, there's nothing you can do, unless you house rule Wish.

The Hanged Man

First Post
Nail said:
Arg.

Look: How is helping in combat any more immediate than granting a wish (1 standard action)?

The issue is whether it's "more involved," not "longer." The actual rule is:

If you choose to exact a longer or more involved form of service from a called creature, you must offer some fair trade in return for that service.

Gate already says you can freely order the creature to act for one round/level. "More involved" means something other than just "longer than one round per level," or else the phrase "more involved" is meaningless - any exception would already be covered by the "longer" language.

Although "more involved" isn't defined anywhere, granting a wish seems well within a "more involved" activity. It is the most "involved" thing that can be asked. Although creatures w/ wishes as SU abilities don't pay an XP cost (usually), IMO wishes are the sort of "more involved" activity addressed by the spell. Actually, if wishes aren't "more involved," it's hard to imagine what would be, as death through combat is not.

Also, you couldn't use an efreet wish to get a ring of three wishes. It's outside the wish guidelines, as too expensive.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Nail said:
Huh.

I guess I can't see the problem; it's a 4th level spell, after all, of rather limited utility. Care to elaborate? Experiences?
Nevermind my post I think I interpreted what was meant by grapple attempt wrong. I was think about actions attempted in a grapple rather than an attempt to start a grapple. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

isoChron

First Post
Does anybody else see a problem with Blasphemy ?
Balor and his poor Kobold wait for party. (Some tunnel or narrow passage perhaps.)
1. Balor casts Blasphemy (no one in the group is level 20) and all are dazed and can take no action at all.
2. Kobold starts killing party one by one while Balor casts Blasphemy (at will!) every round.
3. TPK...
Am I missing something ? Even 6 characters of Level 19 have no chance against this trap. (OK, being evil helps :) )

Darklone

Ok. Freedom of Movement: I think I remember that the spell description used the expression grapple attempt... e.g. the initial grapple check to start a grapple, nothing else during a normal grapple.

Blasphemy... Isn't there a limited area of effect? I'd expect any group of that level NOT to be caught in such a small area. Ask my level 1 players about sleep. If they are all in the area of effect... they deserve to be dead.

SRD: Blasphemy
Evocation [Evil, Sonic]
Level: Clr 7, Evil 7
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30 ft.
Area: Nonevil creatures in a 40-ft.-radius spread centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None or Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Any nonevil creature within the area of a blasphemy spell suffers the following ill effects.
HD Effect
Equal to caster level Dazed
Up to caster level –1 Weakened, dazed
Up to caster level –5 Paralyzed, weakened, dazed
Up to caster level –10 Killed, paralyzed, weakened, dazed
The effects are cumulative and concurrent.
No saving throw is allowed against these effects.
Dazed: The creature can take no actions for 1 round, though it defends itself normally.
Ok. At first: The kobold can't CDG dazed creatures. So it'll take some time for him to kill anyone. SR helps... how many players might have that?
Second: What is right, 30ft Range or 40ft radius???????

Last edited:

Endur

First Post
Any GM worth mentioning will laugh at you if you try Balor Mining or Infinite Inherent bonuses.

Just because you can open a Gate, doesn't mean the Solar or other creature has to grant you a wish for free.

Likewise, just because most Balors have a vorpal sword, doesn't mean you get one when you shapechange into a Balor. Most GMs are going to treat the SU Vorpal Sword as a typo. The Sword is equipment, not a part of the creature. Its just listed on the SU line because the Sword is worth more than the treasure the creature would normally have.

With regards to Blasphemy, it is a dangerous spell. Particularly when you can cast it over and over again. Being Dazed forever is no fun. Hopefully, you'll have someone in your party who is immune to Daze. Or you'll know ahead of time what you face, and cast silence.

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
On getting Efreet to cast Wish for you.... This seems pointless for the purpose of getting inherent bonuses. In order to get greater than a +1 bonus, the wishes have to be cast in immediate succession, and you'll never be able to get higher than a +5 in any case.
Grant a creature a +1 inherent bonus to an ability score. Two to five wish spells cast in immediate succession can grant a creature a +2 to +5 inherent bonus to an ability score (two wishes for a +2 inherent bonus, three for a +3 inherent bonus, and so on). Inherent bonuses are instantaneous, so they cannot be dispelled. Note: An inherent bonus may not exceed +5 for a single ability score, and inherent bonuses to a particular ability score do not stack, so only the best one applies.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases