• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Living Superheroes World (Come join the fun and the debate)

Bront

The man with the probe
Keia said:
What about a Justice League Unlimited sort of environment. All the heroes have been recruited to a mega team. Those that are hangin out at the base or on call are available for missions.
Don't forget insurance. Do you know how much it costs for a superhero's insurance policy?

LogicsFate

First Post
Bront said:
Don't forget insurance. Do you know how much it costs for a superhero's insurance policy?

Yeah not many heroes can arrord it, it horrible

though that bring up collateral damage

We should only opperate in cities with extensive Good Sumeritan laws!

Super Girl

First Post
LogicsFate said:
What would we do with out you? :p

The most important detail right now,(In my oppinion) is location, the JLU works fine because there's strong people mixed in with the weaker heroes, something more local might be better, where heros might only get calls for thugs and criminals and lesser villians, until we get some higher powered people

I like the JLU type setting, though I doubt we would end up playing in the DC universe, so we would have to decide if we were the Unlimited group, so to speak, or if we were the prime 7. If we were the add on type group, then the Prime 7 would be NPCs mentors that would be GM tools to recruit groups of people for missions, ie Wonder Woman grabs Hawk and Dove.

Phoenix

First Post
Just as a side note, what are the thoughts on the following:

1. Hero-type: Is the world going to be dark and gritty, demanding more realistic and violent heroes, or are we going to be creating powderpuff girls?

2. Powers: If people are going to be receiving powers from one source, do they all know it? Should they all know it? Perhaps the mystery of gaining and learning powers before they know the price of them is a part of their character development.

3. World-Spanning: Though many of these games rely on single modules and adventures to develop the player's characters, but with heroes and villians with Hyper-Intelligence/Charisma/Wisdom +20 their influences will be felt on a grander scale. Is there going to be a general menace, can the PCs effectively use their massive powers on a scale larger than the adventure.

4. Living-Mutants: I know some people love the LG, but (and this ties into 3) if there is nothing for the PCs to do other than deal with a single situation at a time, those 20th level PCs/NPCs will have a great time knitting at home between 'adventures'.

5. Flexibility: Can the PCs be more than nobodies? With the sufficent character build, can they be the ruler of their own country, ala Dr Doom? What kind of things will you be looking for in a PC?

6. GMs: Will there be a skeletal timeline of events for the GMs to work off in their games, knowing full well ahead of time what other games will be introducing and the effects on the game world as a whole?

Love and Kisses,

Phoenix

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
We wouldn't be playing in any preconceived world. (like Marvel's or DC's)

Nor, if my opinion will be heard, will we allowed those characters in the games...

It would be hard on alot of people to see someone play spider-man badly, same with Batman, or anyone else for that matter. :)

Also SG, I don't follow your comments about the unlimited or the prime 7 idea... :\

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Phoenix said:
1. Hero-type: Is the world going to be dark and gritty, demanding more realistic and violent heroes, or are we going to be creating powderpuff girls?

I think there is room for both types of heroes in this environment... and though no one has pointed this out yet but evil characters are allowed in LEW.

Phoenix said:
2. Powers: If people are going to be receiving powers from one source, do they all know it? Should they all know it? Perhaps the mystery of gaining and learning powers before they know the price of them is a part of their character development.

This is one of the things we are discussing right now... Mechanics wise I cannot comment, I have no idea if they made any changes to this in 2nd edition.

Phoenix said:
3. World-Spanning: Though many of these games rely on single modules and adventures to develop the player's characters, but with heroes and villians with Hyper-Intelligence/Charisma/Wisdom +20 their influences will be felt on a grander scale. Is there going to be a general menace, can the PCs effectively use their massive powers on a scale larger than the adventure.

Intelligence, and to the lesser part charisma and wisdom are going to be limited to the player can come up with...

I've played a character with a charisma like that and truth be told she's never been as famous as she should be, nor that convincing also. I'm not sure how this will work other than to say it will have to be addressed.

Phoenix said:
4. Living-Mutants: I know some people love the LG, but (and this ties into 3) if there is nothing for the PCs to do other than deal with a single situation at a time, those 20th level PCs/NPCs will have a great time knitting at home between 'adventures'.

I’m not sure I follow this... LG? Living Mutants? Knitting between adventures... I would hope that some time is spent in the heroes normal identity but that might be too much to ask for.

Phoenix said:
5. Flexibility: Can the PCs be more than nobodies? With the sufficent character build, can they be the ruler of their own country, ala Dr Doom? What kind of things will you be looking for in a PC?

I imagine they could be... It’s not set and stone nor is what we are looking for. Without anyone having the new rulebook its sort of hard to decide on what is needed PC wise.

Lets make a world first.
Phoenix said:
6. GMs: Will there be a skeletal timeline of events for the GMs to work off in their games, knowing full well ahead of time what other games will be introducing and the effects on the game world as a whole?

Yes.

Phoenix

First Post
Brother Shatterstone said:
I’m not sure I follow this... LG? Living Mutants? Knitting between adventures... I would hope that some time is spent in the heroes normal identity but that might be too much to ask for.

Sorry, my reference to Living Greyhawk was solely based on my contempt for its inflexability. I'd hate to see another game where PCs of any calibre are restricted to actions determined by the adventure...

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Phoenix said:
Sorry, my reference to Living Greyhawk was solely based on my contempt for its inflexability. I'd hate to see another game where PCs of any calibre are restricted to actions determined by the adventure...
Ah, I see. I’ve never played Living Greyhawk so I wouldn’t be a good judge of things but I doubt we will be like that. For better or for worse I would suggest looking at LEW as an example.

Knight Otu

First Post
Having little to no idea about the M&M rules, my comments will be limited until I actually have the book(s). Thankfully, mutantsandmasterminds.com provides a lot of previews, including, as Velmomt mentioned, the character creation chapter, which allows some playing around.

Some comments to make:
If there is a common origin, it should be at least mysterious, if not mostly unknown. Just a preference of mine, though. And of course, flexible.
What are taverns in LEW should be HQs here, certainly. Depending on whether supervillains are allowed (I'm more inclined to say no), there should be one or two such HQs. To a lesser degree, it also depends on the scope.
As I noted above, I'm not sure if players should have villains as characters in this genre and style of play, but that is more of an organizational concern. It would certainly be interesting to see, but may be harder to pull off.

Those who know LEW know that there is a need for a few people to organize stuff. Are there people who'd volunteer for that at this point?

Kylara

First Post
Also SG, I don't follow your comments about the unlimited or the prime 7 idea...

I got the reference, at least I think I did. The prime 7 were Superman, Wonderwoman, Batman, Green Lanter, Martian Manhunter, Hawkgirl, and Flash. They set up the Justice League, they are the leaders, they were the first, they make the decisions.

The Unlimited part would be Super Girl, Captain Atom, Green Arrow, Vixen, Vigilante, Captain Marvel, etc. They are the rank and file. A situation would arise, a Senior team member would grab a few of the junior members, and off they would go on an adventure. Well thats the way it was in the show at any rate.

I think the question was, if we do JLUish type thing, would the PCs be the founding members that make all the decisions, or would there be a hierarchy of NPCs as the founding members/primary decision makers. NPC team leaders I guess is another way to put it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads