• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lobo's AU: Sunless Citadal Game

Lobo Lurker

First Post
The road less travelled...

Your group heads out of town using the Old Road. It looks like it was once in good repair, but has since fallen into disuse. While it isn't filled with broken bricks, it is full of dried out runnels, cracked clay, scattered pieces of stones and the detritus of time (Yina spots a rag doll half-baked into the clay strewn soil.

On either side of the road, a barren wasteland stretches forth as far as the eye can see. In the distance you can see a pair of wagons and a large number of cattle or sheep heading towards Oakhurst. The barking of dogs can be faintly heard in the distance.

As you continue your trek, the sky slowly darkens. True to the old man's words, you haven't seen a single living thing (apart from the scrub & sparse bundles of tough grasses that seems to thrive in just about every environment). As the last of the day's light fades, you give thanks to whatever diety or divine force you worship that there is only light cloud cover... the stars should be bright tonight, and with some forboding, you not that there is no moon.

OOC: You can camp or continue trying to navigate by starlight. The road is lined with scrub and stones, so you won't wander from the road unless you want to. However, it may be hard to spot the ravine noted on the map as it's located just a short way's distace from the road.
Note: Yossariad, Yina, & Strahm have lowlight vision, and can actually see pretty well at night. But Ma-Barak & Alfonso are basically blind (unless someone has a light-source).

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Yina pries up the doll from the road, thinking it might belong to one of the children. Watching the road carefully, she makes her descision.*

"We got a late start, I say let's get a few more hours' travel under our belt. I don't want to take foolhardy chances with traveling at night, but nor do I want to leave the children any longer than necessary," she opinons.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
"With light this bright, let us travel by night." Then, serious for a second, Yossariad adds, "Yina's right about the children. The sooner we get there, the better."

Krug

Newshound
"That's a nice rhyme," says Strahm. "Very well then, lets continue on our way." The greenbond sighs, poking at the ground with his staff.

Barak

First Post
Ma-Barak

The giant shakes his head, wondering to himself exactly which of his companions are able to see the gesture.

"It would not be overly wise to carry on, methinks. Not all of us are blessed with night-vision, and even those who are could miss the ravine during the night, which would actually prolonge our travels. Also, while it is probably folk-tale, that warning of the ghost is not to be ignored. It must be based on -some- truths, which would indicate a predator nearby, most probably one that hunts by night, from which we could better defend ourselves if we were to have a stationary camp, complete with fire."

Krug

Newshound
"Well we should vote on it, and not take all night," says Strahm, scratchiing his mane. "I don't want to change my mind again; it confuses it enough. So Yossariad and Yina and I are for continuing, and you Ma-Barak wish to camp. It sounds like we have a majority? Let us keep on going."

Sorry to be bossy but seen decisions like this stump a PBP party for weeks... :p

Lobo Lurker

First Post
The Abyss Beckons

As you walk through the night, Strahm notes a series of pylon-like structures (rather like totem poles... w/out the totems) looming out of the darkness. Ma-Barak gets the distinct sensation of emptyness off the right side of the road... a mild echoing in the passage of the light breeze.

A gulf of blackness, darker than the surrounding night lies before you, outlined by the ritually marked poles.

Consulting the map (via a lit torch or Strahm casting a Lesser Glowglobe (0th level spell)) you determine that you have indeed arrived at your destination.

The poles seem to be ritualistic in nature, but very, very old and unmaintained (some look like they've fallen into the ravine below). It looks like someone scrawled fresh runes into the poles a few years ago. A relatively new silk rope has been tied around one of the poles that hange precariously over the yawning maw of blackness below. No light is visible. The sound of bats hunting in the night is the only sound to reach your ears (if you don't know, it's a faint, high-pitched, and repetive chirping-sound).

Krug

Newshound
"I suppose we're here," says Strahm. "Shall we descend with the rope?" Strahm examines the runes, casting glowglobe if necessary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads