Looking for a VTT platform that is...

aramis erak

Legend
We have been thinking about hosting a VTT for ENW/ENP (and for Level Up, integrating with our A5E tools site). We don't have the resources to make one from scratch, but we might be able to hack/modify an open source platform.

a) browser-based
b) open source (for commercial applications)

My initial thought was Owlbear Rodeo v1, which is now open source, but it's for personal use only.

It may be that such a beast does not exist, but I thought I'd ask around and see if anybody knew of one.
GTove is open source and browser based for the client, but requires a google drive.
The server is also open source.

It has physics based dice, decent rendering, easy map calibration, vertical stacking of maps; supports mac, windows, linux and android, and, at present, doesn't require hosting your own server unless you're customizing.
It is, however, fairly bare bones. It lacks a lot of the automation of the commercial ones.

It lacks voice chat, but discord is good; I use GTove weekly for my sunday game.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I know you say you want a 100% open source option, but I am going to argue for looking at Foundry anyway. Since I've moved to having to play online, I was looking for a VTT to use for all of my games. I wanted to pick just one because I don't want to have to deal with all of the issues with learning multiple UIs or how to write macros. Foundry was my choice because it has all the features I was looking for and it was a one-time purchase. I'm 100% not looking for more subscriptions right now. I also suggest that the draw of any game system would have to be very strong to use a new VTT. For what it's worth, I was also brave enough to say that to Matt Colville who's making a game I'm very interested in. (Matt's not a Foundry fan and has been pretty clear about it in the way he would be clear about anything).

My group is grumbling a lot about the new edition of D&D and they have wanted to try out other game systems to find the right one which is "D&D adjacent". I can say for certain that we'd try it out in Foundry because we're already there. Another VTT? Probably not. I know a lot of people who use Foundry are evangelists, and I'm not trying to do that at all. I still play in a Roll20 game, for instance. I'm just suggesting what I think would be a good option. Do with that what you will.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
(turning the volume down on the Foundry war drums...)

You might check out MapTool. It's not a 100% match; it's not browser-based but it is open source. It also uses a lot of macros, and so it can have quite a learning curve. It's the only one I've used myself, and only briefly, before I went back to Roll20.

Mythic Table is gaining a lot of traction on Reddit. It's an open-source VTT as well, and it's a lot easier to code since most of its object data is written in a human-readable .JSON format.

Fari App is free and open source as well, and it's fairly new. I'm not sure if it's browser-based, though (their press releases all seem to be on Twitter, and I have an allergy) but it looks like it might be.

PlanarAlly is probably the newest kid on the block...the developers are still writing the documentation! Might be worth checking out, especially if you want to get in on the ground floor of a new VTT program.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
images

Zaukrie

New Publisher

You might check out MapTool. It's not a 100% match; it's not browser-based but it is open source. It also uses a lot of macros, and so it can have quite a learning curve. It's the only one I've used myself, and only briefly, before I went back to Roll20.

Mythic Table is gaining a lot of traction on Reddit. It's an open-source VTT as well, and it's a lot easier to code since most of its object data is written in a human-readable .JSON format.

Fari App is free and open source as well, and it's fairly new. I'm not sure if it's browser-based, though (their press releases all seem to be on Twitter, and I have an allergy) but it looks like it might be.

PlanarAlly is probably the newest kid on the block...the developers are still writing the documentation! Might be worth checking out, especially if you want to get in on the ground floor of a new VTT program.
That mythic table website hasn't been updated in a long time (the features? 2020. The FAQ, 2021). That would make me nervous.

Maptool hasn't been updated since July.....that isn't ideal either.

I'm interested in all 4 of these....at least you found some open source ones! Unlike me, who missed that part of the request.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hey now, as much of a fan as I am, I am also a "don't yuck someone else's yum" so I really did not what to come off in the same way as some of the more ... enthusiastic ... supporters can be. There are a lot of great VTTs out there for different systems.
Same here (though I prefer Roll20 since it's browser-based); I was just having a laugh.

Honestly, though? For what @Morrus is looking for, I think Owlbear Rodeo would be perfect if there was a way to get a commercial use license. Probably not, since that would be a huge can of worms for a software developer.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know you say you want a 100% open source option, but I am going to argue for looking at Foundry anyway. Since I've moved to having to play online, I was looking for a VTT to use for all of my games. I wanted to pick just one because I don't want to have to deal with all of the issues with learning multiple UIs or how to write macros. Foundry was my choice because it has all the features I was looking for and it was a one-time purchase. I'm 100% not looking for more subscriptions right now. I also suggest that the draw of any game system would have to be very strong to use a new VTT. For what it's worth, I was also brave enough to say that to Matt Colville who's making a game I'm very interested in. (Matt's not a Foundry fan and has been pretty clear about it in the way he would be clear about anything).

My group is grumbling a lot about the new edition of D&D and they have wanted to try out other game systems to find the right one which is "D&D adjacent". I can say for certain that we'd try it out in Foundry because we're already there. Another VTT? Probably not. I know a lot of people who use Foundry are evangelists, and I'm not trying to do that at all. I still play in a Roll20 game, for instance. I'm just suggesting what I think would be a good option. Do with that what you will.
We’re on Foundry (and Fantasy Grounds and to a lesser extent Roll20).

We’re not looking for recommendations for platforms to be on. We’re looking for software to modify and integrate into our tools site. These are two very different activities (and are not mutually exclusive).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Aha! Thank you! I will check those out.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
We’re on Foundry (and Fantasy Grounds and to a lesser extent Roll20).

We’re not looking for recommendations for platforms to be on. We’re looking for software to modify and integrate into our tools site. These are two very different activities (and are not mutually exclusive).
What is the plan?

But Foundry is a community effort, right? Why do you want your own VTT, are you growing your employee/contractor count? I admit, I'm unsure what the goals are here (which is fine, I'm a random guy on the internet).

Remove ads