Looking for a VTT platform that is...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have been thinking about hosting a VTT for ENW/ENP (and for Level Up, integrating with our A5E tools site). We don't have the resources to make one from scratch, but we might be able to hack/modify an open source platform.

a) browser-based
b) open source (for commercial applications)

My initial thought was Owlbear Rodeo v1, which is now open source, but it's for personal use only.

It may be that such a beast does not exist, but I thought I'd ask around and see if anybody knew of one.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Dmhub just partnered with mcdm .... Their VTT supports the srd pretty well, and is customizable. I'd check with them.

I assume foundry is out, for some reason? You have an active group supporting you there.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Most of the smaller players don't support rules very well (yet, or ever).....

DMHUB - good rules support, easy map maker, MCDM appears to trust them as a partner
Game Master Engine - 3d, no rules support, doesn't work on the apple OS, great people
Wildshape - 3d, hasn't been updated in a LOOOONG time, nice guy, no rules support
scenegrinder - unsure on rules support, newer, a lot of people recommend this, but I haven't tried it yet
mirrorscape - 3d, eventually virtual, REALLY expensive to buy stuff (most of the pieces you have to pay for), no rules support yet
rpg stories - 3d, lots of great maps available, no rules support yet, about to launch another KS to fund sci fi assets and other stuff, seem like good people on their discord
the rpg engine - 3d, tons of assets, not sure it does much for rules yet, but they crank out updates like crazy, the art won't be for everyone
talespire - the virtual dwarven forge vtt, so many great assets, no rules support yet (and it's been a few years since they launched)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Another option is to work with demiplane to implement the rules, and have a way to port dice rolls and stuff to a VTT from there (I think this would work somehow). No idea how that works exactly, but they have great tools from what I see.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The C# engine within DMHub is not open source. I'm not sure how much of it that is though.
good point, I was thinking more about the ability to build rules systems.....I mean, does ENWorld really want to do dev?

also, some of the VTTs I posted above are browser based, but not all of them. I missed that part. Anyway, there's a list to at least look at up there. I'm sure I missed a couple......

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I assume foundry is out, for some reason? You have an active group supporting you there.
It’s not open source. We’re specifically looking for an open source browser based software that we can install/host and modify and integrate into our tools site.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Another option is to work with demiplane to implement the rules, and have a way to port dice rolls and stuff to a VTT from there (I think this would work somehow). No idea how that works exactly, but they have great tools from what I see.
Again, not open source. Also, we’ve approached Demiplane a couple of times but they don’t seem to be interested.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Most of the smaller players don't support rules very well (yet, or ever).....

DMHUB - good rules support, easy map maker, MCDM appears to trust them as a partner
Game Master Engine - 3d, no rules support, doesn't work on the apple OS, great people
Wildshape - 3d, hasn't been updated in a LOOOONG time, nice guy, no rules support
scenegrinder - unsure on rules support, newer, a lot of people recommend this, but I haven't tried it yet
mirrorscape - 3d, eventually virtual, REALLY expensive to buy stuff (most of the pieces you have to pay for), no rules support yet
rpg stories - 3d, lots of great maps available, no rules support yet, about to launch another KS to fund sci fi assets and other stuff, seem like good people on their discord
the rpg engine - 3d, tons of assets, not sure it does much for rules yet, but they crank out updates like crazy, the art won't be for everyone
talespire - the virtual dwarven forge vtt, so many great assets, no rules support yet (and it's been a few years since they launched)
Yeah, again none of that software is open source.

I’m not taking about putting our material on an existing platform, I’m talking about taking a platform and modifying it to our ends and hosting it ourselves.

Owlbear Rodeo 1 is open source but only for oersonal use. Otherwise that would be a really strong choice.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah, again none of that software is open source.

I’m not taking about putting our material on an existing platform, I’m talking about taking a platform and modifying it to our ends and hosting it ourselves.

Owlbear Rodeo 1 is open source but only for oersonal use. Otherwise that would be a really strong choice.
got it. I'm surprised you want to go that far. Good luck.

Remove ads