• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for gnome fighter concepts

psijack

First Post
thanks guys! some really good ideas there.
we're starting out at first level in the campaign ( set in cormyr i belive)
i like the concept of the mount, and ive also been thinking about the ranger..and it hadn't occured to me to try a paladin..(i have no idea what the rest of the party alingment/composition will be)
about TWF, i've wondered if that would be effective style for a gnome ..
:)

thanks again!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
psijack said:
about TWF, i've wondered if that would be effective style for a gnome ..

Why not? He will not be the strenght powerhouse anyway, so you can as well go for quantity (of attacks). And if you dare to play a TWF rogue, all those extra dice from sneak attack will still be d6 (as will flaming weapons etc).

Magic Slim

First Post
Rozman said:
Barbarian/Ranger

I concur (art by C. Pozias - Punch daggers, baby!):

Slim

Attachments

• gnome_barbarian.jpg
    gnome_barbarian.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,808

psijack

First Post
well, we rolled dice last night, and heres the numbers i got :)

13, 8 , 15, 15, 13, 9
well I've got my heart set on ranger now.
stat wise, i think ill go like this :
Str-13 (origonally 15-2)
Dex-15
con-11 (9+2)
Int-13
Wis-13
Chr-8

the problem that i see with this is low hit points and weaker fort save than average ranger,and a lousy charisma. (which will hurt on the wild empathy)i also thought of swapping the Int and con so that i would have a higher con and hit points, but not as many skill points :)
i am also looking to be useing a rideing dog and a lance for attacking :)
so, any suggetions, criteques? more helpfull advice? :D
thanks again !

FrankTrollman

First Post
Always, without exception, demand to be a Forest Gnome.

It's just like being a regular Gnome except that you get +1 on attack rolls against Orcs, 2 bonus languages, your speak with animals ability is on all the time and you cannot be found by the scent ability of others.

If there's a downside to that race, I'm just not seeing it.

---

Don't take more than 2 levels of Ranger. I'm really serious about that. You'll get the extra Archery Feat - and that's really good, but there's nothing else in the class which really leaps out at you.

Your character is below average, so don't try to be good at everything - you won't be. But you can be a really good Mounted Archer. With mounted Archery you can full attack and still have your mount move the full distance.

I suggest:

Ranger (get 4x all those skil points, take Mounted Combat)
Ranger (Get Rapid Shot, and skill points)
Fighter (Take Mounted Archery, and PBS)
Fighter (Take Precise Shot)

Now, don't take any more levels of Fighter (because you no longer get anything for taking level 3), and don't take any more levels of Ranger (Endurance is largely meaningless for you).

At this point it would probably be wise to take levels of Barbarian until you qualify for Deepwood Sniper. Remember, Deepwood Sniper does work while you are on the back of a mount taking double moves.

-Frank

HighlandsBear

First Post
Might want to check out the swarmfighting feat in races of faerun if you're going to have multiple small size fighters in the game.

Paladins look like a good choice now for small size fighters with their multiple smites now, although that doesn't fit your stats really.

Particle_Man

Explorer
What the heck. You've got the stats to go for whirlwind attack. I say go straight fighter and go for it. You can combine this with small sized spiked chain and combat reflexes to be annoying. That and the fab five (improved crit, the two weapon foci, the two weapon specializations) should keep you feated up for a while.

Just watch out for kytons. :eek:

jgsugden

Legend
I say go for the gnome rogue. Then get leadership with a second gnome rogue for a follower. Then, take one level of sorcerer to get reduce person (or get a good use magic device and a wand).

This allows you and your cohort to be tiny little rogues.

While tiny, the two of you can enter the square of a medium size creature and get the benefit as if you were flanking (3.5 DMG pg 29.) It also increases your AC by +2 and gives you a +2 to hit (a traditional weakness of the gnome is the

I just like the idea of la pair of ittle pointy hatted gnomes slipping between your legs and stabbing you for 35 points of damage each.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads