• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to make Egypt-like fantasy world

d4

First Post
Kesh said:
... does anyone remember having to shuffle through card files anymore? :cool:
sigh... i miss the card catalog. much better than the computer system, IMO. just something about the physicality of it.

the main public library of San Francisco has an entire wall wallpapered with their old cards from the card catalog.

Klaus

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
An interesting period of history for Egypt would be the "cold war" with the Hittites that erupted at Qadesh. Shortly after that was the religious upheavel of Akhenaton. I read a book that hypothesises that Tutankhamen was murdered by dissidents, which is a fascinating idea. And the invasions of the Sea Peoples a little bit later is another fascinating idea for an ancient Egypt campaign.

Actually, Akhenaton's heresy took place about a hundred years before Seti I and Ramses II faced the Hittites at Kadesh. By then, Akhenaton's capital of Amarna was already a deserted ruin, rumored to be crawling with demon.

The tribulations leading up to (and following) the Battle of Kadesh were best covered in Christian Jacq's Ramses series , which takes very minor historical liberties, but has a very DnD-ish feel to it. Higly recommended reading for anyone thinking of starting an Egyptian campaign.

s/LaSH

First Post
Also (and slightly ironically), I'd be very keen on seeing someone using dwarves in an egyptian setting. Tolkeinesque dwarves, the traditional sort. After all, the Egyptians built some amazing things out of stone - it's like the perfect place for dwarves to live!

Why? If you want D&D style deities of an Egyptian flavor, you're better off getting the actual Egyptian deities from Deities and Demigods, not the Mulhorandi ones.

Gnome Berzerker

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Why? If you want D&D style deities of an Egyptian flavor, you're better off getting the actual Egyptian deities from Deities and Demigods, not the Mulhorandi ones.

I've never seen Deities & Demigods, but I think I might pick it up now. Sounds cool!

Klaus said:
Actually, Akhenaton's heresy took place about a hundred years before Seti I and Ramses II faced the Hittites at Kadesh. By then, Akhenaton's capital of Amarna was already a deserted ruin, rumored to be crawling with demon.
:eek: :eek: Whoops! Got my timing turned around there... For some reason I had thought that Tutankhamen was right before the Sea Peoples, which brought the Hittites down completely and replaced them with... the Phrygians, I think?

Remove ads