D&D 5E Lord of the Rings 5E Is Coming Next Month

The 5E-powered version is coming in May

For those who prefer to adventure in Middle Earth using the D&D 5E ruleset rather than Free League's The One Ring game (which made over $2M on Kickstarter in 2021), the 5E-powered version is coming in May!

b6ec37c0-3a8d-4365-8979-4403f0f52864.jpg

This will be a 236-page hardcover book containing 6 new classes, journey rules, and magic which represents the more low-key magic of Tolkien.

Additionally, Shire Adventures is a 104-page book with 5 short adventures and setting details for The Shire region of Middle Earth.

That's not all though -- there will be a RIvendell compendium, and a Loremaster's Screen too.

These will be landing on May 9th.

niklinna

satisfied?
I am mildly interested in trying any one of these games now that I've had this peek. (I even looked at Lord of the Rings Online but of course they're dropping mac support as Apple gets ever more aggressive about not-backward-compatibility. I suppose I should be grateful though; MMOs are a huge time sink.)

I'm really interested in hearing how systems like the travel system compare between the two versions. (I have run really mediocre travel adventures in the past and want to see all the choices in tools available to improve upcoming travel adventures.)

Don't forget that Cubicle 7 is releasing the Journey rules, among other former AiME systems they apparently kept the rights to, as stand-alone supplements for your 5E games. This is probably why the AiME and LotRR systems are not compatible in those areas. Free League had to change enough to make it their own.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Don't forget that Cubicle 7 is releasing the Journey rules, among other former AiME systems they apparently kept the rights to, as stand-alone supplements for your 5E games. This is probably why the AiME and LotRR systems are not compatible in those areas. Free League had to change enough to make it their own.
True. The question there, though, is whether I wait for Tales of the Valiant, which apparently will have the rules in the GM's book, along with monsters and other AiME-derived systems, or get the Journeys book, which also adds a ton of tables for generating events and locales travelers might encounter along the way.

But either way, yeah, I'll be getting the rules at some point this year, unless it turns out the Free League version of the rules are shockingly better to the degree that it doesn't make sense to get the C7 one. (Which seems unlikely, honestly.)

Weiley31

Legend
is whether I wait for Tales of the Valiant, which apparently will have the rules in the GM's book, along with monsters and other AiME-derived systems,
Tales of the Valiant(Project Black Flag) is Kobold Press. The continuation of the AiME rules/ideas is Cubicle 7 via their C7D20 system and via their Broken Weave stuff (which started out life as the Vault 5E stuff and first manifested with their Unchartered Journeys book).

Weiley31

Legend
But either way, yeah, I'll be getting the rules at some point this year, unless it turns out the Free League version of the rules are shockingly better to the degree that it doesn't make sense to get the C7 one. (Which seems unlikely, honestly.)
Also, the Free League version of LoTR caps off at around Level 10 for its classes. I'm not quite sure if there are rules in there for character advancement beyond that.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ToV has no DMG, only PHB and MM, you must be thinking of something else.
Tales of the Valiant is the Kobold Press books, because I am not smart.

C7d20's Gamemasters Guide will include the info:
Cubicle 7 said:
The C7d20 Gamemaster’s Guide will offer GMs a suite of new rules modules that they can plug into their game, such as journey rules, options for non-violent conflict, rules for playing games of political intrigue, gritty survival rules, and much more. The aim of the Gamemaster’s Guide is to give the GM plug-and-play rules options they can use as the basis for a whole campaign, or as the need arises during adventures.
A lot of that (all of that?) looks like it's lifted from AiME and had the Sindarin serial numbers filed off.

In any case, the question remains: Pick up Uncharted Journeys when it comes back in hardcover later this year for the journey rules plus lots of juicy tables, or pick it up via the C7d20 Gamemaster's Guide.

Remove ads

Remove ads