D&D 5E Lore books for 5e that I would actually buy

dave2008

Legend
For me personally, I would only buy setting lore. I despise with the fury of ten thousand natural 1s how "kitchen sink" settings file everything that is interesting off a setting race and then leave it as some bare mechanical effects.

In Eberron a Warforged was a sentient weapon created under a monopoly by House Cannith but sold to all of the nations involved in the Last War. But the Treaty of Thronehold that ended the war both declared them free people, and closed all of the Creation Forges. So you have warforged who may or may not have served, who may or may not be used to the idea that they were not even slaves but self-guided equipment. They may support the Treaty that freed them, hate it as a slow genocide - or both. People are used to seeing them as weapons, and now see them as reminders of a war most want to leave behind. Some will still treat them as slaves, others try to "save" them.

In FR, they are metal men with some mechanical influence.

Heck, look at how Eberron or Dark Sun has refreshed the stale lore of other races and classes, allowing stories much different than the default.

So I dont' want any "generic" lore - I don't want to play in a game that can use it. So if you want me to have a chance to purchase it, make it setting lore.

All of that said, I homebrew my settings, something I enjoy doing greatly. So it's lore books for games I play in.

Like I started with: "for me personally...".
Just be clear, this is not at all what the OP was talking about. However, it does completely fall within the title of the thread, so good on you!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I love the idea too. I don't care to much about specific setting lore, but I would be interest in the type "lore of the game" books you describe. The first one would have to be on dragons of course:
  • The origin of D&D dragons
  • Changes of dragons through the editions (maybe talk to @Echohawk for these)
  • Designing dragons
  • dragon gods
  • etc.
That would be great as long as it was honest. WotC seems to want to sweep certain older depictions under the rug..

Irlo

Hero
What I would absolutely love is for books that bring together lore on specific topics. For example, a Monster Lore through the Ages. Have a section on Orcs that covers how orcs have been portrayed in different editions and settings...and so on for a variety of monsters. Same with cosmology, magic, classes, etc. Add rules variants for the different approaches.
I'd buy books like that. Not orcs specifically, but others. That's exactly how lore should be presented -- lots of options, different takes on the subjects, and mechanics to support them when needed. D&D is made for that sort of thing, adapting and editing to fit ones needs, and examples like these would go a long way to opening the game to a wider range of persepectives. I wouldn't need deep dives, but a wide shallow sea of opportunity.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just be clear, this is not at all what the OP was talking about. However, it does completely fall within the title of the thread, so good on you!
I kinda took it he was answering his own question. But reading through the rest of the thread now and you're right and it's more just about the meta-lore. Ah well.

I've lived though Moldvay's Red Box Basic to current, the evolution over time of lore isn't something I personally pay for, though it does sound like others would be interested and that's good.

If I was interested in meta-lore, I'd try to convince @Snarf Zagyg to write about it. :D

Mercurius

Legend
I've long hoped for a Worlds of Dungeons & Dragons book - with write-ups on every world every published, including lots of pretty maps.

Each entry would have a background on how the world was developed, and how it changed over the years, and an overview of the setting itself -a travelogue, if you will. The major settings would be 10-20 pages, minor ones 5-10 pages or less, and "micro" settings (e.g. those covered only briefly and/or in Dragon or web enhancements), less than 5 pages.

dave2008

Legend
I kinda took it he was answering his own question. But reading through the rest of the thread now and you're right and it's more just about the meta-lore. Ah well.
I think your fine. The OP was talking about what they want is meta-lore; however, I think it is fair game to say what you want. I was just pointing out that yours was a different approach than the OP.

Remove ads