D&D 5E Losing HP as you level up

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Or you could do something wild and crazy, like -and hear me out - NOT tank your characters Con score and this never becomes an issue.

I mean, I know it's hard to resist the urge to play someone with chronic Tuberculosis or some incredibly debilitating magical wasting disease. But if you hold strong and choose to play and adventurer who isn't unnaturally frail and weak, it just might work out better in the long run.

Mallus

Legend
I'm pretty comfortable with the ruling I've always used: the minimum HP gain for going up a level is 1, regardless of CON modifier and die roll.

It's a) in keeping with the spirit of the game --i.e. gaining a level represents an increase in PC power/durability-- and b) isn't torturously overthought.

Argyle King

Legend
But if hp are luck, skill, etc - as well as meat - then it looks a bit odd again. It's one thing to say that some hp are sheer toughness, and so good CON leads to more hp; but another to say that the feeble are so feeble that the god's curse them as they struggle through life!

I'm glad you brought that up because it caused me to consider my viewpoint even more. Upon further reflection, your thoughts further bolstered my confidence in the ruling.

You're right, D&D HP are a combination of luck, skill, and etc -as well as meat. What better way to represent pressing your luck than by rolling dice? The level up options are to take the average or to try your luck as a PC for the promise of possibly gaining more. In the event you roll high, you gain more HP due to luck, skill, or whatever. In the event you roll low, luck was against you and you now have less of it (as well as less HP).

I appreciate you pointing out what are D&D HP are suppose to be and helping me to further evaluate why I like the ruling.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=58416]Johnny3D3D[/MENTION] - not quite the response I was expecting; and that's not how I understand the "luck, divine protections, etc" part of hit points - but interesting nevertheless!

Remove ads