• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LOST: The Final Season (Spoilers)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I enjoyed it, but not nearly enough answers.

And they KNEW fans wanted answers, and advertised this season as one giving answers. This idea that it isn't the show for you if you want answers? Yeah, did yah SEE the ads for this season? All focused on answers. They use that word...this season, we get all the answers.

What is the island? What is the light? The numbers? Why did some people heal? Why did some people get the power to speak with the dead? What evil entered Sayid in the pool? What did smokey become smokey from the light? Why didn't kids live on the island, and why was aaron originally so special? What was the sickness? What was up with Walt's powers? What was the deal with the four toed statue and all the hieroglyphs? The time travel? And on and on.

weem

First Post
I don't care about the characters, did they explain anything about the island?

Yea, the show IS the characters. If you don't care about them, the rest doesn't matter.

I liked the ending - it may not have been entirely unpredictable, but I enjoyed it.

It's been an amazing show.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yea, the show IS the characters. If you don't care about them, the rest doesn't matter.

I liked the ending - it may not have been entirely unpredictable, but I enjoyed it.

It's been an amazing show.

This "the show is the characters" theme feels made up after the fact to adapt to what happened, rather than what actually happened with this show.

Again, the entire ad campaign for the final season was focused on answers, not characters. Most of the fan base was built on mystery, not characters.

Plus, the show was often NOT about putting characters first. They routinely kill characters. They lose other characters every season based on real world things like two actors getting arrested in a drunk driving incident, another wanting to leave the show (Eko), another growing too fast (Walt)...don't tell me this whole show was about characters when characters took second place to larger mysteries and plot often.

Ask any random person on the street what Lost was about, and they will likely mention numbers, and a hatch, and experiments, and a ton of non-character-related themes. They will probably mention any of a number of season finales, which were mostly plot related, not character related.

Yeah, the "it's all about the characters" is an excuse. It was sometimes about the characters, but often about plot. And they didn't answer a lot of major questions they asked. Entire themes set up from the beginning of the show were just entirely dropped unanswered.

Again, I liked the ending, but it was not enough. They needed to answer at least a handfull of questions.

Fast Learner

First Post
Yup, I've always felt it was a character-driven show with some fun mysteries around them to keep it interesting. They answered questions about the characters very much to my satisfaction.

John Crichton

First Post
Yup, I've always felt it was a character-driven show with some fun mysteries around them to keep it interesting. They answered questions about the characters very much to my satisfaction.
Absolutely. Without the characters the rest of it is meaningless.

That's why I really don't at all mind the loose ends and even completely ignoring some of the stuff they left on the floor a log time ago. :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It was a good ending, reminded me a lot of Magnum, P.I., before they brought it back for a another season.

Yes, I want to see something on Hugo's island with Ben as number 2 but as endings go, this was good.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Why couldn't just Cthulhu have risen from the ocean floor and killed 1d6 survivors per scene? That would have explained everything in an insane and incomprehensible way and everybody would have died.

Janx

Hero
I enjoyed it.

I will begin my LOST game* soon. It amuses me that the plot basically comes down to: "An immortal bad guy wants to get off the island. For him to do that, he has to climb down a hole and unplug a drain. That will cause the island to sink, but renders him mortal. You can keep the island from sinking if you put the plug back in the drain within a few hours. He doesn't know where the hole is, and the guy who does know is a secretive douche who refuses to explain things to people. Hope you can get out alive."
QUOTE]

My current intepretation is a bit different

Jacob's foster mom seems to have gotten the job to protect the light. The light is where dead people are supposed to go, hence why men seek it out.

the island is a sort of purgatory, where souls get sorted out and then head for where they're heading (presumably the light).

Jacob's mom got confused on all this, and basically tried to block this from happening. So when she passed the job onto Jacob, he didn't know much about it either.

Thus, everybody on 815 is dead, and all of this was just a wierd "I'm dead" dream.

That's sounding a lot more like Dallas.

I'm not wholly satisfied with the ending, as there are some holes in my explanation (which I shouldn't have to assemble my own explanation after the series finale).

Why did we waste so much screen time on the airplane escape, when it wasn't even going to matter?

What about Walt and Michael, and Eko?

The ending was incomplete.

weem

First Post
-- Something weird happening - my quotes being duplicated etc - see next page for reply --

Last edited:

Remove ads