• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost

WizarDru

Adventurer
NegZero: I see your point, I'm just not ready to buy into it, yet. I'll need more before I'm willing to go down that road. I don't think Locke is deranged at all...I just think he's a little unnerved by everything. He really does see this as a miracle. Desperately lonely and depressed from being a prisoner in his own body? Sure. But he strikes me as one of the most clear-headed characters. After all, this is what he wanted...he's more alive than ever before, from what we see. Which may play into your theory, but like I said, I'm not there, yet.

I DO like swrushing's theory that this thing is intelligent, and maybe Locke communicated with it, somehow. The show has played fair, but likes to mislead, so I could see it going either way. It's a lot of fun to speculate, anyhow. ;)

What I do wonder is if everyone will get this image of Locke as dangerous great white hunter, and then when the time comes, find he's not really the man they think he is. I think Locke is up to it, but he's something of a myth, for the moment.

I also think the idea that Jack isn't really a doctor is spot-on, and I'm interested to see where it leads. Damn, this show has some great characters. Of course, everyone's favorite bassist is about to suffer some really nasty DTs. Wonder how that'll play out?

Rackhir

Explorer
With regards to the "Wish Fullfillment/Leaving the Island" aspect of things. I can see a fair number of characters, in their heart of hearts NOT wanting to leave the island. As pointed out Lock is getting to live out his fantasy. Kate as a criminal with a reward on her head has a strong incentive for not going back. Perhaps the kid, doesn't want to go back to america. The korean couple, especially if they are North Korean could have LOTS of reasons to not want to go back there. The bickering, to be married, couple might not want to go back, because neither of them is sure they really want to get married which they would probably be forced into if they do get back. That's all I can think of off hand at the moment, but you get the idea.

I do like the idea of them being dead/in some sort of midway zone. It could explain the creature as well. The creature could be yanking people out of the "dead zone" and back into life and or that being "killed" on the island actually means you've returned to life. Since Locke wants to be there very much the creature might not have been able to force him back.

It could also explain the spontanious healing, since if you are dead there's no reason why real world wounds should/would persist, especially if the will to over come them is strong enough. Another example might be the pregnant woman, her baby could have survived her death. Thus seeming dead on the island, but eventually died and thus came back to life on the island.

Bringing the island food, theory into things as well, according to greek mythology if you ate food from the land of the dead then you had to remain there. Which if tied into the real wounds not being present in the dead zone of the island might also explain why eating native food seemed to be linked to some of the spontanious healing, like the pregnant woman's baby.

fett527

First Post
I think it is still difficult to conjecture at this point. I'm not buying the manifestment of desires. Many of the reasons why have already been pointed out (Why didn't Walt wish Vincent back to him?). I would be disappointed of something doesn't come out of all the weird stuff associated with Walt so far- the Polar bear, the rain stopping.

I certainly loved the story behind Locke so far. This was much more interesting than last weeks episode.

I am not going to guess at what the monster is, don't have any idea really.

(Sorry about the spoiler mistake earlier, wasn't thinking.)

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Locke… and/or is his kill. (Call it a gut feeling but I think WYSIWYG is the truth about him.)

The biggest mystery, or at least reoccurring mystery, to me is the plane wreck itself… Planes do not break apart into 3 sections… Well at least in the air, after you hit the ground it’s anyone call. Yet we evidently have three sections, the tail section which has been see ripping apart at about 30, 000 feet more than a few times, and is probably lost out at sea…)

The middle section, which is where all the survivors are from.

The cockpit, which landed so far away from the middle section that I can see it as having been connected at the point of impact

So really what happened to the plane? :\

WizarDru

Adventurer
The real trick is trying to figure out what was a budget concern, what was a concession to plot, what was just done to look really cool versus an actual clue/herring.

For example: much has been made of not showing the actual crash and not doing lots of close-ups and work with the animals, but I suspect these were more production-based concerns than actual plot points. M. Night Shamaylan pointed out that the reason they never used their filmed footage of the train wreck in "Unbreakable" was that it looked bad. A TV series has to make do with even less money...and that special effect for the shattering of the plane must have been expensive. Showing the crash probably would have been prohibitively expensive and might not have worked.

Which doesn't mean that they did or didn't crash, but I suspect it less. It's a trick of the show: we don't know the ground rules, yet. Until we know the world's reality set, everything is just conjecture. Could the plane have been hit by wind shear? Otherwise, it was pretty odd.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
WizarDru said:
For that matter, if they were getting what they desired or feared....what's the deal with the french-woman's message? I can accept they might hear a 'you're doomed' message (although they were all clearly hoping to get a message out, to be saved), but the cryptic nature of the message, it's being in French and the strange details (such as the iterative count and guesses to its significance) make it hard for me to believe that it was by desire. ..

I don't necessarily buy the whole "wish" granting theory myself, but here's a possible scenario for the message. As I recall, they weren't getting any signal at first, but then started to pick something up. The person who translated the message was the blonde girl. Now, she doesn't strike me as being the most optimistic person on that island- she seems (from what I've seen) downright convinced that they are stuck and are going to die on that island.

Wish-translating doesn't necessarily equate to good wishes (the old, "be careful what you wish for" adage). If she's already convinced that they aren't going to get off of the island, then she may have created a self-fulfilling prophecy by "providing" the message- and robbing everyone of their hope.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
WizarDru said:
Showing the crash probably would have been prohibitively expensive and might not have worked.

Oh I'm not asking to see the crash... I'm just wanting them to tell me how a airplane “fell” apart into 3 parts at 30,000 feat… I got no problem with the tail going bye bye a loss of cabin pressure could do that. (which airline had the top half of one of its planes rip off over Hawaii back in the 80's early 90's? Where's Ranger REG when you need him?)

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
As I recall, they weren't getting any signal at first, but then started to pick something up. The person who translated the message was the blonde girl. Now, she doesn't strike me as being the most optimistic person on that island- she seems (from what I've seen) downright convinced that they are stuck and are going to die on that island.
On the contrary, she's the one who has been assuming they'll be rescued any minute now.

I dunno about the fear/wish theory. I will say, though, that it's possible that what the boy most wanted was for his dad to be killed. It's not that uncommon of an immature thought... most kids take it back very quickly, realizing that they don't really want their parent dead, but the thought can come up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads