• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lost

Fast Learner

First Post
Looks like heroin to me, too. It's normally considered "brown" in color, though that light-brown yellowish seems to be "normal." His withdrawal is going to be hell, hell on Earth.

stevelabny

Explorer
time for me to jump back in after not commenting last week.
i still have to believe that the maifestations are real. it obviously cant manifest EVERY thought the any of the survivors have, and some of the things on the island are obviously REAL and not just manifestations. So the question is to figure out how "it" picks and chooses what to manifest.

I loved the quick swerve on "Colonel" Locke being revealed as an office flunky. And the wheelchair bit at the end was nice, and although this could be explained as a shock to his system, it also fits into the mainfestations.

Now whether these manifestations are supernatural like the word manifestations implies, or there is some sort of real-world explanation consisting of covert operations and government doctors experimenting on a group of people, i dunno. But there is a definite connection the thoughts of the survivors and what is happening around them. I think :p

whether people are behind "it" or the "it" is intelligent like swrushing suggests, i think there is clearly SOMETHING intelligent on the island with them.

I agree that the lack of camera on the animals and the plane crash itself is a budget concern and nothing more.

I also thought the Jack not being a "real" currently practicing doctor was brutally obvious from day 1. He comes across like the Dr.Strange origin type. Young rich doctor injures someone, or doctors for money only, then has some problem (injury, alcholoism, cowardice, grief, etc) that causes him to stop practicing. This is also the main reason why he doesnt want to know about Kate's past...he doesnt want to tell everyone that he wasnt a currently practicing doctor himself.

Also, this fits in with what Rackhir said, that MOST of these people don't want to leave the island for one reason or another. I tend to like most of Rackhirs speculations. I could even buy the "theyre all dead" thing the way he explains it.

Shallown

First Post
I was thinking that perhaps Locke's paraplegia was Psychosymatic. I don't know all the basis in reality butin TV reality it is possible that the paralysis is all in his mind. His "Don't tell me what I can't do" may be a self defeating loop. While he says that his unconscious mind keeps him paralyzed not allowing him to actually walk. Some of things about him seemed to suggest this to me. His fantasies with the phone chick and so forth.

Also would a boss actually make fun of a handicapped man like his was. What if his boss knows its all mental and somehow takes a cruel pleasure giving him crap about it. It seems that supervisor might not take chances in a corporate world of mocking the guy in the wheel chair in front of witnesses. BUt he may mock a person who is not quite all there.

Just an idea that crossed my mind.

I think they are going to throw out way toomany red herrings to figure anything out yet. I am just starting to catalouge clues and seeing which thread into something that may be the island's plot. Especially since I think the show will be much more about the characters than the island. The island may be the biggest red herring yet.

later

Fast Learner

First Post
His paralysis may have been psychosomatic, but it may have been a matter of pinched nerves and such that couldn't be operated on, but that the jar from the accident miraculously fixed.

It doesn't explain how he was able to walk, though... he obviously would have had terrible muscle atrophy. Unless... he's schizophrenic, and one personality can walk while the other can't, and he was getting exercise while in the walking personality (who isn't the one that goes to work or was going walkabout), and upon landing on the island the walking personality took over. Heh.

Chun-tzu

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Unless... he's schizophrenic, and one personality can walk while the other can't, and he was getting exercise while in the walking personality (who isn't the one that goes to work or was going walkabout), and upon landing on the island the walking personality took over.

Point of clarification: Schizophrenia is commonly (and mistakenly) equated with Multiple Personality Disorder, but the two are completely different disorders. Schizophrenia is much more common than MPD, and common symptoms include hearing voices, paranoia, and flat affect (lack of emotions). It has nothing to do with multipe personalities, which is extremely rare.

[Edited for clarification.]

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Nellisir said:
I think they're just embarrassed to show they were too cheap to go out and film real animals...
Too cheap? This show has some of the best visuals I've ever seen. I don't think they've been cheap about anything - I'd bet the per episode costs are very very high.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads