D&D 5E Low Level Teleportation

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay, I kinda hate that 5e doesn’t have a class or subclass that can teleport frequently/at will before level 6.
How much of the power budget of a subclass would that take up?

let’s say we are looking at Warlock, Monk, and Rogue, for this. Unless y’all think another class could do it.

I want to make a melee combatant that teleports as a primary tactic. I’m fine with shorter range to start, no shorter than 15ft, though. And if it starts that small, I’d want it to increase later.
It would be cool if the subclass could afford to do something else as well.

anyone done or seen anything like this for 5e?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
What I've seen tends to be at will starting at 6th or limited to X/day as a lower level or racial ability. At will teleport starting at first seems a little strong to me. enough that that class or subclass would have a very limted repertoire beyond that through tier one play. Maybe an ability that scaled through level 1-5 on a per day basis and became at will as the 6th level rock?

Just off the top of my head some thing like:
Level 1 2/day
Level 2 3/day
Level 3 2/SR
Level 4 3/SR
Level 5 4/SR
Level 6 At will with boundaries (in shadow or whatever, there is usually limiting condition)

doctorbadwolf

Not sure how open you are to 3PP material, but the YouTuber Taking20 has published his Mist Walker class for 5e which is exactly what you're wanting.

They are an Int based warrior who teleports around as a primary combat tactic.
I’ll check it out. My main reluctance would be that it’s a class, rather than a subclass that I can add into dndbeyond, and whose core class balance point I already know pretty well.

What I've seen tends to be at will starting at 6th or limited to X/day as a lower level or racial ability. At will teleport starting at first seems a little strong to me. enough that that class or subclass would have a very limted repertoire beyond that through tier one play. Maybe an ability that scaled through level 1-5 on a per day basis and became at will as the 6th level rock?

Just off the top of my head some thing like:
Level 1 2/day
Level 2 3/day
Level 3 2/SR
Level 4 3/SR
Level 5 4/SR
Level 6 At will with boundaries (in shadow or whatever, there is usually limiting condition)

but the thing is, stuff like shadow monk has a 60ft bonus action teleport. That’s a lot of distance.

what about 2/SR gain the ability to use your movement to teleport, with each foot costing 2 feet of your movement? Lasts 10 minutes.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Check out the Mist Walker - it uses points to power a range of abilities sort of like Ki. It seems like a useful way to approach the problem and it scales nicely with level as well as providing meaningful choices to the player about resource use on an encounter by encounter basis.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
As a gut feeling, if you restrict to about 15' and require line of sight (so no teleporting through walls or doors), I think it's probably OK for tier 1 as an at-will (probably as a bonus action). I mean, it's essentially a free Disengage and lets you ignore some difficult terrain and obstacles. It's certainly useful, but it doesn't seem to enable any super crazy shenanigans that I can see.

doctorbadwolf

As a gut feeling, if you restrict to about 15' and require line of sight (so no teleporting through walls or doors), I think it's probably OK for tier 1 as an at-will (probably as a bonus action). I mean, it's essentially a free Disengage and lets you ignore some difficult terrain and obstacles. It's certainly useful, but it doesn't seem to enable any super crazy shenanigans that I can see.
That is also my feeling. I definitely wanna get a decent number of opinions first, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases