Lower back exercises

RichCsigs

First Post
I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but I figured it was worth a shot.
I've noticed lately that I am getting weaker in my lower back (a combination of age and not really ever taking good care of my body). Between working and taking care of my mom I don't really have time to do a full work out kind of thing. Is there an exercise I could do to build strength in my lower back that I could do, like, on my break at work or something?
Thanks for any replies I may get.

dema

First Post
I've gone to You Tube when I injured my shoulder and found some excellent exercises was back in shape quickly. Then when I hurt my back (It was really bad) I went to the Dr. got some meds but still went to You Tube to see what exercises I can do at home. Much of the exercises you would do would involve using the floor, and a mat, thick carpet. If you have major pain, like I did. I mean I could not walk, sit, cough or anything else. I had a back cascading spasm which was just murder. You may want to go to a Dr.

Be careful with exercise too, because you can over do it, and further injury your already injured back. Consider a heating pad. Some people suggest Ez freeze for back pain, or bio freeze (same crap) but it did nothing for me. Walking is suppose to be a good exercise.

Careful of how you sleep. If you sleep on your stomach you can exacerbate any back problems because you spine is aligned wrong. If you sleep on your side, they suggest (MDs) for you to put a pillow between your legs (by the knees.)

Good luck, and by all means see a Dr. if the pain is severe and persistent.

P.S. If you are taking care of your mom, are you helping her out of bed and putting stress on your back? if that is the case you need to get stronger and more limber so your have the muscle support continue helping mom.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Between working and taking care of my mom I don't really have time to do a full work out kind of thing.

We are not going to be very good at giving you specific recommendations, because we don't know exactly what kind of weakness you've developed - and what you should be doing depends on what's going wrong. I would suggest you find a doctor, physical therapist or a chiropractor.

Dude, lots of people say that they don't have tine, but it often isn't true. You can effectively build strength with 20 minutes a day, or an hour every couple of days. If you have cable TV, find the Fitness network, and you can find any number of half-hour workout shows.

There was a time when I spent six months sleeping on a worn mattress, and I eventually developed lower-back trouble as a result. Aside from replacing the bed, the doctor has a basic piece of advice - walking. Not only does it exercise you in general (which it sounds like you need), it requires gentle work of the lower back, in all the ways it was designed to work.

This is what I have done for a minor back injury that requires maintiance occationally-

1) Lose weight if over weight. Being heavy puts stress on the back

2) Low impact exercise (like the forementioned walking)

3) stretches. This is something I do a bit. Using a mat or beach towel on a rug- lay on your back SLOWLY bring one knee up as far as you can that is comfortable. Then the other. Then SLOWLY while keeping one knee upright stretch the other to your side.

I would imagine You Tube or the average back remedy web site would have better descriptions and drawing/video.

4) If you lift use your KNEES. Bend em. Don't twist while lifting (my error about 12 years ago)

The bet thing- ask your doctor. That is really the best thing to do.

Remove ads