• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos tries to brace himself against the vapors of the cloud, but his magically-enhanced senses work against him. He opens his mouth to speak and wretches violently.

Fighting against his instincts to run out the closest border of the cloud, Eanos sprints through its center, hoping to use the miasma to mask his retreat.

Within the cloud, he manages to hold down his bile long enough to call out, "Ignore the wights. Get ROSA!"

Exiting, the inquisitor hugs the wall of the keep as he moves beyond the corner, then he plasters the stonework with another multicolored spew.

UPDATED MAP

[sblock=ooc]I knew it'd come back to bite me in the butt eventually. Worse still: if I'd decided to switch to a different Judgment, he'd have had a +6 to the check and he'd be right as rain. Ah, well:

Fort save (w/ Bloodhound penalty) (1d20+4=13)

Rounds nauseated. (1d4+1=3)

Blech. At least he has a 70' move from the Haste. I'm pretty sure he should have plenty of move to get where I have him. Not sure if that actually blocks line of effect for Rosa, but doesn't hurt to try. :)

Since it may matter:

- Does activating a spell-like ability (Dimensional Hop) require attention? It's a move action, and doesn't provoke AoO, so it doesn't seem as concentration-intensive as a spell, but I'm not sure.

- Same question re: Swift action changes of Judgment.[/sblock]

[sblock=mini-stats]
EanosHead_zps0dbe2e86.jpg
Eanos Setirav

Initiative: +9
AC: 23 (26 w/ SoF, 25 w/Prot Evil) (current: 27)
HP:75 Current: 73
Senses: Perception 20 (24 scent w/ Bloodhound), Sense Motive 24/29
CMB: +8 CMD: 23 Fort: +8 (+11 w/ purity, +12 w/ Prot evil)
Reflex: +9 (+12 w/ purity, +13 w/ Prot evil)
Will: +12 (+15 w/ purity, +16 w/ Prot evil)
***-4 saves vs odor based effects w/ Bloodhound
***Purity bonus doubled vs. curses, diseases, and poisons

Conditions:
* Deadeye's Lore (8 hours, +4 Survival, track at full speed)
* Bloodhound (8 hours, +4 Track stacks with Deadeye, +8 Scent Perception does NOT stack with Bracers' of Falcon's Aim, -4 save vs odor based effects)
* Judgment: Justice (+3 Sacred attack, +6 crit confirm), Protection (+3 Sacred AC, +6 vs. crit)
* Flames of the Faithful: Flaming burst (+1d6 fire, +2d10 fire on crit) 8/10 rounds remaining
* Haste: extra attack on full attack, +30 move, +1 attack, +1 dodge AC & Reflex
* Nauseated: Cannot attack, cast or maintain spells, anything requiring attention. 1 move action / turn only. 2/3 rounds remaining.

In Hand: Bow

Common Attacks:

+1 Seeking Comp. Longbow (Str +1)*: Attack: +14/+09 = [BAB (07/02)
+ DEX (05) + Magic (01) + Bracers (01)]
negates miss percentage chances
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 19-20/x3^, range 110'
Spiritual Weapon (Sbow): Attack: +10/+05 = [BAB (07/02) + WIS (03)]
Damage: 1d8+2, Crit: 20/x3, range 170' Special: force / spell
All: +2 to hit / +2d6+2 damage when using Bane ability

2 +1 Daggers (temporary)

* +1 to hit / damage within 30' (point blank shot),
* Deadly Aim available (-3 attack, +6 damage)
^ Crit range increased via Bracer's of Falcon's Aim
Many Shot: 1st attack of Full attack uses 2 arrows for damage on a hit.

Arrows: 15/31 (+1 recoverable after fight)
Blunt Arrows: 16/20
Cold Iron Arrows: 19/19
Silver Blunt Arrows: 16/16
CLW Wand charges: 18/50 remaining
Disguise kit uses: 9/10 remaining
Spider Climb (boots) minutes: 9/10 remaining
Scrolls: See Invisible x2 (one with Tyrien), Comp Languages x3, Lesser Restoration,
Party scrolls (carried by): Restoration (Eanos), Hide from Undead (Eanos), Summon Monster 2 & 3 (Heinrich), Daybreak Arrow x2 (Eanos)

Used: none

Judgement (2 choice per): 2/4 Remaining
Determination: 3/4 remaining
Silver Tongued Haggler: 0/7 remaining
Bane: 6/10 rounds remaining
Discern Lies (DC 17): 10/10 rounds remaining
Dimensional Hop: 80'/100' feet remaining
Spells: Orisons (DC 14): Brand, Create Water, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Guidance, Light
1st (5/6 remaining)(DC 15): Deadeye's Lore, Divine Favor, Expeditious Retreat, Lend Judgement, Litany of Sloth, Protection from Evil, Shield of Faith, Wrath
2nd (3/5 remaining)(DC 16): Bloodhound, Flames of the Faithful, Ghostbane Dirge, Invisibility, Resist Energy, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Weapon of Awe
3rd (4/4 remaining)(DC 17): Blessing of the Mole,* Dispel Magic, Halt Undead, Invisibility Purge, Prayer
4th (2/2 remaining)(DC 18): Death Ward, Judgment Light

* Stealth bonus not stackable with ioun stone

Random notes: Syndicate "code phrase": 'Reginald needs a bath.' - false phrase created by Sugar Sweet.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[sblock=OOC/Combat]Level drain is a Fort save, SdW. Rolled it for you and you passed.

Small minion destroys the fire elemental with some lucky rolls for the minion followed by a few unlucky saving throws for the fire elemental.
[/sblock]

ooc: Level drain: OOPS!

Loss of elemental: sucks

IC: Fort save vs dc 15
1d20+6=16

move: 30 feet
updated map
Standerd: cast fireball at [circle/slash sign]
apply Dancing Flames[su]: You can use this ability to alter any fire spell you cast with a duration of instantaneous by removing any number of squares from its area of effect

**removing Eanos and Tyrien from the blast
Damage: 10d6=46 dc 21 reflex

[sblock=stat block] Init +2, Perception +10 Move 30' +30 [haste]

AC: 12[base]; 14 [w/ shield spell]; 16 [w/ Ablative Barrier spell]; 18 [w/ shield and abl barr]
touch: 12; Flat Foot: 10 [shield or ablative barrier may apply]

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/ablative-barrier
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/haste

AC: 16 touch: 16; Flat Foot: 10

with ablative barrier and haste
AC: 19 Touch: 19 FF 12

HP: 37/42 Fort: +6, Reflex +8, Will +11, BAB +5, CMB +5, CMD 17
non lethal damage: 5

Consumables: Wand of CLW [cl1] 50/50 charges; Wand of Magic Missiles [CL1] 45/50 charges
oil x 6 pints; sun rods x 6; Alchemist fire x 1; Scroll [stone shape cl 7]

In hand: Dagger

Effects:
light source: Lamp, common; cantrip: light [dur: 90 mins]

Per day use abilities:

cast any spell through bonded object 1 / day - used
[cast greater darkvision post # 484 duration 10 hours ]

Fire jet DC 21 [Used: 1/8]

Dancing flame [used 0/4]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Wizard Spells prepared]
0 Level * acid splash * Detect Magic * Light * Resistance

level 1: * comp lang * Burning Hands(ev,E,*) * ear pierce scream * Feather fall * magic missile
*magic missile * Shield
pearl of power lv 1: Shield
pearl of power lv 1: Magic missile
pearl of power lv 1: Magic Missile

level 2: * Cat's grace * See invisibility * Flaming Sphere [ev,E] * Resist Energy [E] * Scorching Ray [ev, E]
* Levitate
pearl of power lv 2: Cat's grace
pearl of power lv 2: scorching ray (ev,E)

level 3: ** Dispel Magic * * ablative barrier * lightning bolt
pearl of power lv 3:

level 4: * * Stone Skin * stone skin * Detonate * Black Tentacles

level 5: * * wall of force * Elemental body [E] * Teleport

Legend:
( - ) denotes a cast spell
(*) cast at +1 level (trait)
(**) cast at +2 levels (Feat)
(E) elemental: flame school
(ev) evocation
(A) denotes changed to acid
(&) takes 2 spell slots to cast
(#) recalled via pearl of power
(E,A) denotes 50% fire/50% acid
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien had strong stomach and shrugged off the cloud of stench and its nauseating effects. She heard Eanos’s direction to forget the undead minions and concentrate on the bitch on the wall.

She spared a glance at Heinrich seeing he was okay and could not help but noticed as he blanketed the top of the tower with a fireball. She moved out from the stinking cloud of fumes towards him.

“Yeah, fry the bitch! Take this one as well!” The archeress a magically enhanced arrow that struck the woman with discordant sound and crackling electricity.

[sblock=Actions]Fort Save (1d20+9=19)
Move 30ft
Imbue Arrow with Chord of Shards: Fire Arrow at Rosa (DS, Imbued) (1d20+17=35, 1d8+12+1d6+2d8=35)

UPDATED MAP
[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 80 Current: 77
CMB: +11 CMD: 30(23ff) Fort: +9 Reflex: +15 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg/+1d6 Elect), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
Rosa shrieks and flails as the ball of magic fire explodes around her. The sound is abruptly cut off with a thunderclap as Tyrien's arrow strikes her in the throat. She staggers forward for a step, then another, and then her foot lands on empty air and her body plummets thirty feet to the broken rubble below.

The wights continue to charge at the wizard and the two archers, ready to claw and bite, and radiating a deathly chill. When they're mere steps away, you hear Armando speak. "Stop," he says. The word is not loud, but the wights freeze in mid-stride. "Now ... die," he adds, and his voice is tired. Immediately, whatever dark energies were animating the wights disappear, and a half dozen lifeless corpses collapse to the ground.

The don strides forward, walking toward Rosa's body, but he seems to be weakening with each step, and you can almost see the necromantic energies boiling away, moment by moment. "I ... remember things now. My death ... the ritual ... the other times I grew suspicious and she had to weave her magics again." He chuckles sadly. "I doubt it means very much to you, but I wasn't all that bad of a man before I died. Well, I was certainly no saint, but believe me when I say that I was no bloodthirsty monster, either. Then I was brought back for vengeance, however -- vengeance which I could never have had. It ... enraged me. Think of a wasp that stings you again and again, but every time you look for it, it is gone, vanished. Can you imagine that? Because that is a ten-thousandth part of what I suffered, every moment of every day after she bound me to unlife. I was hateful. I was crazed. It is very different, being brought back."

He kneels down next to Rosa's burned and crumpled body and tenderly begins straightening her out. "Even after everything, I still love her. She was brilliant in her own way, and cruel and utterly amoral. The danger of her company was ... intoxicating. Always, even to the very end."

Armando finishes laying out the corpse of his beloved. "In my day, Eanos Setirav, I too worshiped Issolatha. I knew many secrets before I was murdered, and I learned more still as I floated in the lagoon out on the atoll, dead but unable to pass on. My time grows short, but I can offer each of you the answer to one question. Be warned, however: it is unlikely that the truths you learn will bring you happiness. Ask, or not, as you desire."

armando_150.jpg
rosa_150.jpg

'Don' Armando Faizal. . . Rosa Haal . . . .

[sblock=OOC]Rosa fails her save, and that's enough to kill a squishy wizard (which is why I tried to keep her out of harm's way for as long as possible). Anyway, that frees the don and gives him back control of his minions. Since he's already found his murderer, combat is over.

The Q&A sessions is for RP purposes only. Over the next few days, I'll wrap up the XP and treasure.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The secrets of past, present and future are dangerous indeed. I first wish upon you the release of final rest - I forgive you for sending minions against me. Ist all I can give you. fur mein frage(*1), I haf too much to ask of myself except the one. Are mein oulders(*2) well?"

*1: question

*2: parents

jkason

First Post

Eanos watches, barely able to keep his feet, as Heinrich and Tyrien bring Rosa down in a rain of fire and arrows. He staggers around the parapet to see the wights fall and Faizal reclaim his mind to reach Rosa. As the Don explains himself and the love he still feels for the woman who has used him so poorly, the nausea fades. So why is Eanos' vision blurred and stinging?

"Love is the secret none of us know quite as well as we think," Eanos says softly, coughing and wiping at his eyes. "Greatest love of mine was the one who trained me for a den of killers," he says.

The inquisitor pauses a moment. He might ask how to strike at the heart of the cult that raised him. But the Ears were vast and plentiful, and they were not here, on this island, where Gemma and her village had given them so much aid. Eanos had a debt to pay, and he intended to do what he could to pay it.

"This plague of undeath," Eanos says, glancing to the bodies of the murdered, once again silent on the ground. "I'd see it done forever. But once we tell your Capos what happened here, figure one or more of them might think Rosa had a good idea for how to make an army and win the tug-of-war for power.

My question: How do we keep another from claiming the magics Rosa found here and in the atoll?"

[sblock=ooc]Aw, and now I feel sad for the evil, murderous, undead monster. Curse you for the awesomesauce of making a decaying corpse sympathetic! :)[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Tyrien was glad that battle was settled with Rosa’s death. Having to continue destroying more wights and the Don could have been a close call. She had little experience with love, and could not truly comprehend the Don’s plight over the woman he loved and hated.

She did not want to know answers to personal questions like the red-headed wizard and she thought it awful frivolous to as about shoes.

Eanos’s question did spark and idea for her.

“Hmm, I think I would like to know some good information that will keep both of your former Capos from trying to kill us. Call it protection instead of blackmail.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg/+1d6 Elect), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
The don turns to Eanos. "The residual magic on the atoll is of little concern: it will wash away with time and tide now that the spell is broken. If you wish to bury these ruins, go to the broken statue behind Rosa's tent. Whisper these words in its ear: 'Tuulo Aran-Tandalus, amin'naia i' tela.'"

Armando shakes his head at Tyrien. "Neither Alfonse nor Reginald will attempt to harm you. They are businessmen, of a sort, and it would be bad for morale if they treated their employees as poorly as that without reason. But blackmail ... that would be a reason. Neither will allow themselves to be blackmailed -- they would instead act to remove the threat of blackmail, quickly." He shrugs. "But if you wish to know secrets they do not want revealed, then know that Alfonse is the bastard brother of Dame Ludmilla Boraga, and that the pendant that Reginald wears contains a whisker from Tiggles, the cat he had as a child."

He looks at Heinrich with pity. "There is a darkness over Düster Haus that clouds my sight, Meister Schriebersen. I can see only glimpses and fragments. I know that your parents have passed on, but I can tell you nothing of the circumstances of their passing."

He lays down next to Rosa's body, weakening visibly. "And now ... I think I will rest. Tell my son ... that I love ... him."

armando_150.jpg

'Don' Armando Faizal

[sblock=Linguistics DC 25ish]The phrase the don gives Eanos is ancient elvish. Something about a king's command and a castle falling.[/sblock]
[sblock=Loots (Armando, Don, and thorough search of the keep)]Wand of Mage Armor (25 charges) 375gp
potion of cat’s gracex2 300 gp ea
potion of cure moderate wounds x2 300gp ea
potion of cause serious wounds (NOTE: cause, not cure!) 750gp
wand of acid arrow (38 charges) 3420gp
+1 light crossbow 2335gp
amulet of natural armor +1 2000gp
ring of protection +1 2000gp
Book of the Grave (preconstructed spellbook) 1265 gp
+1 humanbane rapier 8320gp
+1 mithral chain shirt 2100gp
tunic of careful casting 5000gp
stalker's mask 3500gp
inquisitor's bastion vambraces 4000gp
coin of the untrodden road 6000gp
goggles of elvenkind 8500gp
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer

Tyrien shrugged at the advice from the Don. If the Capos were honorable businessmen, then they had nothing to worry about and she could take the secret information to her grave… or sell or give it to someone local that might need it. Gemma came to her mind.

“Well, I hope you are correct. I shall take your recommendation into consideration and not blackmail them for no reason. Likely the secret will go to my grave…”

“After that, no promises eh,”
she added with light, but morbid humor in her tone.

With the threat of the undead menace over with, the archeress moved into the ruins to take a look around and gather loot.

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
+2 Will vs. Enchantments

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock][sblock=Treasure]I think I am only interested in the Stalker's Mask[/sblock]

jkason

First Post

Eanos bows his head a moment, whispering a silent prayer to Issolatha, before he nods.

"Find the secret of peace in death you could not find here," he says to the pair of now-still forms. He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, then joins Tyrien in her search of the keep.

"The sooner we can clear the ruin, the sooner we can bury it," he says. As his gaze slides across the ruins at the bodies littering it, he adds, "Should move the bodies clear of the ruin before we do that if we can. None of them asked to be dug up; we should leave them where their kin can claim them if we can."

[sblock=ooc / loots]Stuff Eanos would be interested in:

Potion(s) of Cat's grace
Potion(s) of Cure Moderate
Tunic of Careful Casting

I'm not vehement about any of them, though, so if Heinrich's interested in some or all of those, that's cool, too.

The vambraces are tempting, but I feel like the benefits from his current bracers are useful more often, so I'll pass on that one since he can't double-wear them. Ditto temptation on the goggles, but low-light doesn't seem applicable often enough to not spend that money elsewhere.[/sblock]

Remove ads