• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Evil Unto Evil

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
wand of acid arrow and the book of the grave look interesting. Heinrich has a really nice concentration already and I might be able to buy one of those capes.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien shook her head about the undead corpses.

“Do you think people want to see these now? They look nothing like their loved ones and would only be a gross memory they would have to deal with. Mayhap burning the remains would be best.”

“It also might prevent further necromancy.”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 80 Current: 77
CMB: +11 CMD: 30(23ff) Fort: +9 Reflex: +15 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg/+1d6 Elect), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Ensuring the Don is gone to his final rest, Heinrich offers, "I can burn all of them. So the boy will not see his parents.Ist goot Ja?"

Systole

First Post
It's the work of a few hours to search the ruins and pile the corpses together with a bit of dry wood. From the look of it, Rosa had been using the risen wights to excavate the catacombs in search of treasures, magical and otherwise. She'd assembled a fair portion, which you collect. After that, Heinrich sets the pyre burning and burning hot -- in less than an hour, there's little left but ash.

Eanos finds the statue that the don spoke of, and feeling a little foolish, whispers in its ear. A moment later, the ground begins to shake, and the group quickly leaves the ruins. From a short distance away, everyone watches the ruins topple and crumble gracefully into themselves as the ancient magics fulfill their final task.

The evening is drawing near when you arrive back in Gandling. Harry is loitering on the edges of town, and perks up as soon as he hears your footsteps. He smiles warmly. "So that's it, then? Others saw the smoke and wondered at it, but I had an inkling. And then the ground shook, but it was faint enough that none other but me could feel it. If it's ended, I'll take you to Miss Sweet and Mister Rahor."

The old beggar leads you through a maze of streets to an open air tavern near the waterfront. Rahor and Sugar Sweet are on opposite sides of the bar. Rahor sits stiffly, with a white-knuckle grip on a wooden tankard of ale, glaring at the halfling, who is lounging on the far side of the tavern, wearing a languid, amused expression and nursing a glass of chilled juice. She nods to you as you approach.

"A bit bedraggled," Sugar Sweet comments, "but alive. What with the odd fire out in the forest, I take it that means our problems are over? I would be happy to take your report, unless you'd prefer to deliver it in person to Mr. Cato. He would of course be interested to hear it directly, but he'll understand if you have other business to attend to. The only important thing is the result."

"And the King is interesting to hears, too," Rahor growls.

sugarsweet_100.jpg
rahor_150.jpg
BH_150.jpg

Sugar Sweet . . . . . . . Rahor . . . . . . . . . . Blind Harry . . . .

GM: Will do a final tally shortly, unless you'd like to meet anyone.

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos shakes his head.

"Had my fill of heads of house last few days," he says, "And of all the behind the back secrets that've spoiled blood. I'll tell you lot, and if your bosses want to talk, maybe after this it's best they talked to each other instead of any more go-betweens.

"See, it was a ... "
Eanos pauses a moment as he looks between both Sweet and Rahor, and swallows the word "gang" before he says it. "business partner behind it. An old one. From before your re-organization, yes? Don Armando Faizal, back and wanting vengeance on his killer..."

Eanos gives most of the information he has about the raising of the Don and manipulation of his memories, though he studiously avoids mention of both Gemma and Davel. Having promised to help guard the fishing village against trouble--especially from the rival Gandling powers--Eanos decides some secrets are still worth keeping.

"Don and the necro love are both done now, and now you both know: wasn't neither of Faizal's men killed him. Don't expect you're all planning on getting La Famiglia back together, since I'm sure you've managed to stir up plenty of vendettas since, but thought you should know: the treachery your bosses saw to start all this? Never happened. They were both loyal men."

[sblock=ooc]Eanos would want to check in with Gemma / Davel to let them know it's all over, and to tell Davel to keep his head down--which he was already pretty much doing from what I can tell--but I don't need a full-on RP exchange, personally.

Eanos doesn't feel a burning desire to meet the heads of the rival gangs. Like he said, he doesn't figure this ends with One Big Happy Falmiglia. And he's not about to insult one of the heads by visiting the other first, especially since he figures their temporary truce ends with the common threat, so it feels safer to visit neither.

If the others are keen, though, I won't fight it.

Either way, thanks for running this, Systole. It's been all sorts of fun and twisty. And I didn't feel super-completely lost the way I usually do trying to work through mystery adventures. Just enough confusion to be challenging, but not so much that I wanted to bang my head against a wall.

And the Don, especially, was just a really cool, creep-tastic antagonist. :)[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

[sblock=ooc]Eanos would want to check in with Gemma / Davel to let them know it's all over, and to tell Davel to keep his head down--which he was already pretty much doing from what I can tell--but I don't need a full-on RP exchange, personally.

Eanos doesn't feel a burning desire to meet the heads of the rival gangs. Like he said, he doesn't figure this ends with One Big Happy Falmiglia. And he's not about to insult one of the heads by visiting the other first, especially since he figures their temporary truce ends with the common threat, so it feels safer to visit neither.

If the others are keen, though, I won't fight it.

Either way, thanks for running this, Systole. It's been all sorts of fun and twisty. And I didn't feel super-completely lost the way I usually do trying to work through mystery adventures. Just enough confusion to be challenging, but not so much that I wanted to bang my head against a wall.

And the Don, especially, was just a really cool, creep-tastic antagonist. :)[/sblock]

cheching in on Gemma and Davel: very cool with that!

burning feelings: alway have those, just nothing to do with speaking with heads of La Fam.

Would rather stay out of any future cross hairs, so no further contact with heads of households is preferable.

dittos on the accolades! ! ! Whats next??

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Tyrien, Half-elven Archeress

Tyrien2Avatar_zps9be57a6a.jpg

Tyrien shrugged and said, “We could gather both of them together and tell them at the same time, Eanos. While we are tired today after all of this, your way with words could help smooth over some of the issues that have been brought about.”

“There is also the matter of our payment.”

“Mayhap on the morrow we could have a sit down with both of them after we have rested?”

[sblock=Mini Stats]Tyrien e'Adrianne
Initiative: +9 Perception: +19 (low-light vision)
AC: 24 (18 flat-footed, 18 Touch)
HP: 80 Current: 77
CMB: +11 CMD: 30(23ff) Fort: +9 Reflex: +15 Will: +7
+2 Will vs. Enchantments
Special: Immune to Magical Sleep
Current Conditions in Effect: PBS, Precise Shot, Enhanced Arrows (+1 Dmg/+1d6 Elect), Ioun Stone illumination (in darkness), Deadly Aim (-3Att/+6dmg), Many Shot, Snap Shot, Jingasa Luck (1xday, Immediate neg Critical/Sneak Attack), Combat Reflexes(8 AoO)
Current Weapon in Hand: Longbow
Chakrams: 8/8 Remaining

Bardic Performance:
5/5 Rounds Remaining
Spells Remaining: Cantrips: (Message, Resistance, Mending, Prestidigitation, Know Direction)
1st Level 2/4 (Cure Light Wounds, Timely Inspiration, Chord of Shards)[/sblock] [sblock=OOC Note]I concur on the balance blend of mystery and confusion without getting completely lost in the complications. Great job!

I am in no hurry too to skip the RPing with NPCs, and that includes the Capos. Because there is nothing next in the pipeline for characters our level. Unless you have something in the works, Systole?

Continuing on here makes more sense that just going back to the DWI to sit around chit-chatting about nothing.[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
"The falling-out was before my time, but I'll inform Mr. Cato," Sugar Sweet says. "Tsk. It would be a shame if peace broke out. I have so much unfinished business."

"Yes, we does," Rahor hisses in agreement.

"The boat leaves for Venza tomorrow afternoon. I assume you'll spend the evening in Old Town again, but if you change your mind, you can eat and drink for free at any of Mr. Cato's establishments. And if you choose to game, we'll be happy to open you a line of credit against your earnings." She glances at the wild elf. "If you do plan to call on Mr. Cato or Mr. King --"

"Then you sees the King firsts,"
the elf says, the threat rather explicit in his tone.

Sugar Sweet rolls her eyes and suppresses a chuckle. "Yes, that is what I was going to suggest, since Mr. Cato is rather less concerned about social pissing contests than is Mr. King. He won't take it amiss if you visit him second. Besides, that way he'll have read the transcript of your meeting with Mr. King before you arrive. It'll save time."

"This is no provoking of me. You does not having spy in the King's Council,"
Rahor snarls.

The halfing smiles sweetly. "Of course not. You've outsmarted us again." Rahor bristles, and his hands move toward his javelins.

Harry steps up, sensing the threat of imminent violence. "Well, would you look at the time! I'll bring the lady and these gents down to Old Town so we ... uh, so they can have a square meal. Let's go, shall we?" When you look back, Rahor and Sugar Sweet are heading back to their respective bosses.

Gemma and a group of fisherman are talking quietly in the square when you arrive. Apparently the topics are somewhat troublesome as all of them wear worried expressions. Gemma favors you with a nod. "It's over then?" she asks.

sugarsweet_100.jpg
rahor_150.jpg
BH_150.jpg
fisher2_150.jpg

Sugar Sweet . . . . . . . Rahor . . . . . . . . . . Blind Harry . . . . . . Gemma Moressi . .

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos makes no commitments one way or the other as to visiting Cato and King, deciding such discussion is best left to when he's alone with his compatriots. He thanks Sweet and Rahor for their time, instead, and follows Harry beck to the fishing village.

Eanos' lips thin slightly as Gemma asks her question. He takes a deep breath at Heinrich's look, though, and nods.

"Much as any trouble in Gandling's ever 'over,'" he answers. "I ... " he pauses again, tilting his head slightly as he continues with clear regret, "Rosa's joined her lover in life's last secret. Wish it weren't so. Wish it didn't all end as bloody as it started, but came a time when talking did no more good.

"Kept your name and the boy's out of what I had to tell my employers, but best your boy keeps his head down, stays out of the city while ... whatever happens next settles itself. King and Cato live, but what we told 'em might rattle a few things loose. They're probably twitchy from the mess, too; best they don't see anyone that reminds them of their recent unpleasantness, yes?"

Remove ads