• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] No Loitering

jkason

First Post
As the party takes its own whispered counsel, the orc turns away, though it hasn't yet moved when another voice brakes the quiet.

"Oi!" come a female voice. "I've got this side. It told you: keep your fool, smelly self on that end watching the breach in the wall! With only a handful of us here until your stupid cousins come back -- hopefully with recruits instead of bloody heads this time -- that hole's our big weak spot until we can plug it!"

None of you are in a position to see the owner of the other voice, which seems to come from further west. maybe outside the wall, maybe atop it. It's hard to say. At least, you think with vague relief, this one speaks Low Landellian.

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Siddhartha the Hunter
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 12/17
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Stealth: +2
Initiative: +6
Unarmed: C. Longbow SR2 +6 d8+2
Armed: Longsword +6 d8+4
Arrows: 97/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1
Items Used: Potion CLW[/sblock]

Siddhartha's gladiatorial sense kicks in. "Erin, can you and Wilmorn sneak around the whole encampment next to the wall, so we can ambush them around the main entrance? Siddhartha and the rest will draw them towards us."

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Bardiche
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-2),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
[/sblock]

"Siddhartha.... eerrrm, uummmm, how do we know that there is only one entrance? I mean, Erin and I can find out while you wait here. We'll shout for help if we need it! Erin, will you come with me?"

[sblock=Silly me!]Just because I know there is one entrance doesn't mean that Siddhartha does. Oops![/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman

[section]
Kepli nods and scratches her chin as she thinks over Siddhartha's question to Erin and Wilmorn.

"I think that's a good idea. I can't think of any better, anyways." She contemplates a little more then adds some suggestions of her own. "I can sleep either the group that comes out to greet us or the one on the wall; I'm sure my spell will reach that far. I have other enhancements that I can use and I've been talking to Aszar, he has some also."

[/section]

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: +11 (+13 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 20 Current: 13
CMB: +2 CMD: 13 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +6

In Hand: shortspear
Conditions: None yet
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep, Cure Light Wounds
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance, Virtue
Special:
Concentration +7
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1
Stormburst: 6/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Fury Hex: 1/target (+2 morale to attack, +2 resistance to save vs fear; 3 rounds)
Alchemist's Fire 2/2 (w/ Aszar)
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 10 Current: 10
CMB: +1 CMD: 7 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +5

In Beak: Nothing
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

Anastrace

First Post
Erin Vaneese, Magus Initiate

175px-Erin_vaneese_cropped.png

Erin nods. "Ok Wilmorn, let's keep looking. Let's try to the north first, and make our way around if needed." Erin unsheathes her sword. "I'm ready."

New Map

[sblock=OOC]
Stealth Check: 1D20+12 = [18]+12 = 30

Perception: 1D20-1 = [8]-1 = 7

Move Action, Move up and along the wall, draw sword as she moves
[/sblock]

[sblock=Erin Vaneese Mini Stats]

Erin Vaneese
AC:17 (11 flat-footed, 16 touch)
HP: 14/14
CMB: +2 CMD: 16

Fort: +3 Reflex: +4 Will: +2
Perception: -1 Sense Motive: -1
Initiative: +4

Concentration: +6
Arcane Pool: 4/5
Level 0 Spells Prepared: Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost
Level 1 Spells Prepared: 2/2 Mirror Strike, Shocking Grasp

Class Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) +9, Knowledge (Planes) +9, Linguistics +10, Profession (Cook) +4, Spellcraft +9, Stealth +12

Current Weapon in Hand: Wakazashi, +6, 1d6-1, 18-20, S or P
Current Conditions in Effect: Str -3
Temporary items in possession:
Items not currently in possession:
Items depleted: none
[/sblock]

Last edited:

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Wilmorn, human male

[sblock=MiniStats][SIZE=+1]Wilmorn[/SIZE] Human Ranger 1
Initiative: +2 Perception: +6

AC: 16 (12 touch; 14 flat-footed)
HP: 12 Current: 12
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +3 Ref: +4 Will: +2

In Hand: Bardiche
Conditions: Poisoned, reduced strength (-2),
Medium Encumbrance (+3 dex max, -3 ACP, 20' move)
Favored Enemy:
  • Human +2
  • Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive and Survival
  • Weapon Attack and Damage
  • May ID creature untrained (look, it's a human!)
Wild Empathy: 1d20-1
Skills:

Acrobatics +7, Handle Animal +2, K(Dungeoneering) +5, K(Geography) +5, K(Nature)+5, Perception +6, Stealth +6, Survival +6, Survival(Track) +7

Notes for this trip:
Chain shirt (equipped; removed studded leather)
[/sblock]

"Right, Erin.... let's go!" The ranger readies his chakram, and is off! Although alert, perhaps he is a bit too eager as he bumbles along the outside of the fort.

Map after Wilmorn

[sblock=Stealth 8 Perception 19]Stealth and Perception: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Wilmorn's suddenly lead feet don't appear to alert the Orc as the pair start to make their way around the fort's wall. A promising collapsed point near the north end turns out to be useless, as whatever building butted up against the wall has similarly collapsed, blocking the way through. The pair continue, hugging the wall, Erin cringing as Wilmorn seems to find every twig and cracking shell on the ground as the make their way around.

[sblock=ooc]I was going to just fast forward you all the way around, since I have the rolls I need there, but since it's a bit of a trek, I wanted to give anyone else a chance if they wanted to do anything else to prepare.

If there's not other preparation, I'll finish moving you around the outer wall on your scouting trip.[/sblock]

FrancisJohn

Explorer
Siddhartha the Hunter
[sblock=Mini Stats]Siddhartha the Hunter
HP: 12/17
AC: 18 FF:14 T:14
CMB: +5 CMD: 19
Fort: +2 Reflex: +4 Will: +3
Perception: +3 Stealth: +2
Initiative: +6
Unarmed: C. Longbow SR2 +6 d8+2
Armed: Longsword +6 d8+4
Arrows: 97/100
Common Modifiers: Deadly Aim -1/+2, Point-Blank +1/+1
Items Used: Potion CLW[/sblock]

Hearing the commotion, Siddhartha acts. "No time left to waste!" He hustles in advancing his position, and looses his shot at the orc on the wall. Unfortunately his trips over a piece of debris and his arrow flies nowhere near its intended target. He curses.

[sblock=Attack 7]point blank / deadly aim: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7
1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7
[/sblock]

[sblock=Thanks]Sorry for the confusion on the surprise round. Also, thread email notifications didn't work for me over the last few days and I didn't see that things happened... sorry!"[/sblock]

Map after Siddhartha

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kepli Stormborn, shaman (+Aszar)

[section]
As Erin and Wilmorn head off to scout round the old fort Kepli moves up to join Siddhartha closer to the guard they saw. She smiles and nods at Siddhartha then pops the knuckles of both hands wincing at the loud sound they make. Now she's ready to cast her spell but holds off since she can't see the others that were speaking at the moment. Scuttle hops from tree branch to tree branch trying to figure out what Kepli and Siddhartha find so fascinating (he may have to fly over and find out).

Aszar considers trying to get closer and leave his horse farther back but opts instead to stay mounted and ready to ride forward at need. It will be less quiet but if the need arises, quiet is probably the last thing that will be on the group's mind. He waits for a signal or for battle to be joined.

[/section]

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Kepli[/size] Aasimar Shaman 2
Initiative: +1 Perception: +11 (+13 w/ Alertness); Darkvision 60 ft.

AC: 13 (11 touch; 12 flat-footed)
HP: 20 Current: 13
CMB: +2 CMD: 13 Fort: +1 Ref: +1 Will: +6

In Hand: shortspear
Spells Prepared:
  • 1st level (DC 14): Cure Light Wounds, Sleep, Cure Light Wounds
  • Orisons: Daze, Detect Magic, Guidance, Virtue
Special:
Concentration +7
Spirit Magic: Charm Animal 1/1
Stormburst: 6/6 (target treats foes as if they have concealment, 20% miss, for 1 round)
Fury Hex: 1/target (+2 morale to attack, +2 resistance to save vs fear; 3 rounds)
Alchemist's Fire 2/2 (w/ Aszar)
sling (9/10 bullets)

[size=+1]Scuttle[/size] Seagull Spirit Animal
Initiative: +2 Perception: +10

AC: 15 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)
HP: 10 Current: 10
CMB: +1 CMD: 7 Fort: +1 Ref: +4 Will: +5

In Beak: Nothing
Special:
Speed: 10 ft; fly 40 ft
Melee: Bite +5 (1d3-4); 0 ft reach
Improved Evasion

[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Surprise Round

[sblock=ooc]Because of the nature of the party split, it doesn't matter so much this time around, but for future reference: You can ready a Standard, Move, Swift, or Free action, but "ready action," no matter the type readied, takes a Standard. You can't ready all your actions for a turn; in that case, you're really just using the Delay action, anyway.

Like I said, it's not really relavent this go 'round, but I thought it a reasonable opportunity to clear it up against future need. [/sblock]

The others steel themselves against need as Erin and Wilmorn make the long trek along the wall. Aszar checks his fit in the saddle, Kepli calls to mind her magics, and Siddhartha draws a bead on the inattentive Orc on the wall.

The pair of scouts make it almost all the way around, finding no success at discovering easy entrance. They pass first one battlement tower, then another. It's as the round the second that Erin catches sight of another body on the wall: A human wearing gleaming scale mail, carrying a shield in her left hand and a javelin in the right. This is likely the voice they heard before.

The tiefling makes a subtle gesture to alert Wilmorn, but the ranger not only manages to miss it, he doesn't even notice Erin's stopped moving until he stumbles loudly into her back.

The warrior on the wall isn't nearly so oblivious. Her head snaps to and her eyes lock on Wilmorn and Erin. She raises her javelin, shouting "Intruders!"

CURRENT MAP

[sblock=Environmental Notes]* Any square with debris in it is difficult terrain.

* Targets on the wall have a cover bonus against ranged attacks from anyone in a ground-level square adjacent to the wall.

* Targets on the wall have a cover bonus against ranged attacks which pass through more than 1 plane of walls (e.g., the orc has a bonus against Siddhartha at his current position).

* Targets in gound-level squares adjascent to the wall have a cover bonus against ranged attacks from anyone on the wall. [/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]Distance and the Dazzled condition were Wilmorn's friends against the Orc, but that truly awful Stealth score was never going to make it past the human, I'm afraid.

The good news is that the party won initiative.

Right now we're in the surprise round. Wilmorn and Erin can each take one Standard or Move action (but not both) before the human. Everyone on the other side of the map, however, will have to wait until Round 1 (after the human acts from the wall).

DM fiat: for the course of this battle, I'm giving Wilmorn a base level power-up to correspond with the level he should, by all rights, be: he gains 9 HP, +1 BAB, +1 Fort and Reflex saves.

Also, for the duration of this fight only he can gain the benefit of one of the Ranger fighting styles. I'm not locking someone else's character in, but it also seems unfair to deny a 2nd level Ranger the ability he should have. We'll call it a weird deific intervention that Wilmorn can't explain. Maybe he's been possessed by his former mentor. Who knows?

That said, current stats. LOOK THESE OVER NOW FOR ERRORS OR FOREVER DEAL WITH THE CONSEQUENCES:

Party:

Wilmorn 21/21, Str 16/18
Erin 14/14, Str 9/12
Siddhartha 12/17
Kepli 13/20
Scuttle 6/6
Aszar 14/14
Klot'Kar 3/3
Horsie 15/15

Baddies:

Human: 40/40, AC 17 (T:9, FF:16)
Orc 6/6, AC 13 (T:10, FF:13), Dazzled (-1 attacks & Perception)
Anyone else in or around the fort: like I'm telling... :devil:[/sblock]

Wilmorn and Erin are up.

Remove ads