• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[LPF] Scourge of the Howling Horde

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Iago determines that the two potions were Darax's spare healing potions. Urrtarr says nothing about being stuffing the latrine room.

GM: Which of the MWK longswords is Denizel taking?

I updated the first post with the potions.

Systole

First Post
[sblock=Metagaming]Did we fail to Detect Magic on the loot? I meant to, and I thought we did, but it could have slipped by me. If we didn't, Sylla will do so.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Of the items previously not checked for magical auras, you find the trapped hobgoblin chest's armor and longsword are magical as well. It would appear that the hobgoblins perhaps did not realize this, otherwise they might have been using them.

[sblock=Updated Map:]
SHHEnc05Map00D.jpg
[/sblock]
GM: I do think you all forgot. So it makes a difference on which sword Denizel takes. Bronk's shield is also magical when you loot that. Updated 1st post.

So far I have you still all in the goblin's barracks room, not actually entering the hallway yet. I want grid coordinates as you move, please. You might as well roll 2 Perception checks to as you move for me to bank for later.

mfloyd3

Explorer
OOC: OK, based on the treasury, am I correct in thinking the two potions in the chest were CLWs?

Breaking character for a minute, our plan is to do a quick check of the darkened hallway, then rest up? What is Agno going to do with his hour?

Also, I gather that we are thinking that the big black lizard is responsible for the attacks somehow? Possibly by driving the goblins out of the deeper caverns and into the surface, where they need to make raids? Is that why Sylla thinks we need to attack it?

It seems to me we do have a choice. We've already slaughtered well over 30 goblins (including the warbands), including some apparent leaders. It's not clear that the goblins *will* behave nicely, even if we make it possible for them to go back to their caverns. Then there's the question of which target is easier.

Obviously we need to sort out the plan IC, but I wanted to check if we're all on the same page as far as what we think is going on. If you ask Iago while he is under the influence of the mutagen, he'll favor killing off the goblins. If you ask him after it wears off (probably fairly soon), he'll favor looking for a more peaceable way to do things.

I think Denizel and Sylla should interrogate the hobgoblin some more, and try to figure out why the goblins are attacking the village and what we can do to stop it (short of killing them all).

Systole

First Post
Sylla peers at the looted items, murmuring something mystical-sounding under her breath. "Magical. Let me see those," she says. As she examines the items, she adds, "We'll collect the loot back to the entrance, then give Phoenicus his hour. Stay together."

[sblock=actions]Examining the magical goodies. I'll do Bronk's shield when we get to it. Afterwards, Sylla will advance down the 20 column, one or two squares behind Boots, in the 19 column.[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]If we give Agno an hour, he gets his druid spells from level 2, and a familiar as well, I believe. If we're going to do any more exploring today, we should probably do that first.

According to the wizard, the goblins fed the villager delegation to the dragon/lizard, so it's probably big enough to be a threat and therefore it's probably part of the contract. But Sylla is also liking the idea of some black reptile-hide armor, although she's not likely to mention that up front.

Sylla is not interested in why the goblins chose to attack, so someone else will have to ask about that one. Nor will she offer to negotiate.

Where are we leaving the prisoner?[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
OOC: Let's leave the hobgoblin tied up in the latrine, with some furniture stacked up in front of the door so she can't get out even if she slips the knots. Also, did we find her spellbook? Iago will want that.

Hold off on further interrogation while we check the hallway. Systole, I'm not sure what you mean about the 19 and 20 -- I thought the corridor we wanted ran right to left (that's the one we haven't explored yet). If Iago's mutagen is still in effect, he'll walk one step behind and to the side of Boots. So, say, Boots at AB17, Iago at AC18, Sylla at AC 20, if I've got the direction right. Sound OK?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Agno nods his head, pleased that Sylla has seen the usefulness of his goddess since it is rare in his experience that anyone does so.

"Hurrr. Cache salvaged gear near the entrance and allow sight of the sky for my augury then explore the hallway we bypassed? Yes?"

When the group heads out (pending actual decision on their action) Agno will remain back with Denizel as Iago, Boots and Sylla take the lead. Being more comfortable with the bow he switches weapons again.

[sblock=Actions/OOC]Perception: 1d20+10=12, 1d20+10=26

Gaining the familiar at that time would be up to Perrin, presuming we even make it that far. I don't think the familiar would be particularly useful in these circumstances but I would like to get it. The spells would give us a bit more staying power.

Move to W20, then AC20 and further out...
Standard --[/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Agno Phoenicus
Initiative: +3
AC: 16 (13 flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 15 Current: 15
CMB: +1 CMD: 14 Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +7 (+9 vs. Charm & compulsion effects)
Speed: 40 ft.

Current Weapon in Hand: short bow
Ammo (Arrows): 32/40 remaining
Current Conditions in Effect: Guidance

Lightning Arc: 3/6 Remaining
Channel Energy: 2/4 remaining
Agile Feet: 6/6 remaining
Hawkeye: 3/6 remaining

Cleric Spells:
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 1/3
Spells Prepared:
1st level: bless, divine favor, longstrider (D)
0-level: guidance, light, stabilize

Druid Spells: none prepared yet[/sblock]

Systole

First Post
[sblock=ooc]We're cleaning up the looted items first, headed to the entrance, and then chilling out for a bit. The column 19/20 is the top-to-bottom walk. After Agno gets his spells, we can come back and work out the right-to-left walk.

I know this kills Iago's mutagen, but I'd very much like to let GE get his 2nd level spells -- I have a character who leveled as a caster and then didn't get a chance to rest for like 3 sessions. Speaking from experience, it reeeaaaally sucks. Like, beyond belief. You're sitting there like, "Hey, I got a new level ... except I can't actually use any of the stuff associated with the new level. So it's sort of like being the same level I just was, except I have d6-2 more HP now. Whoop de frickin' doo. And look, the fighter is beheading 8 goblins a round with the Improved Cleave feat he just got. Isn't that nice."[/sblock]

mfloyd3

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
OK, I misunderstood the plan. Regroup by the entrance is fine. Since we have the time, Iago will brew up a second extract of Shield while Agno is communing.

If Boots is in column 20, Iago will be one 5' step behind him in column 19, with Sylla presumably one space behind Iago.
[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
GM: The longsword is +1. Sorry, I am not able to post much more than that tonight. Since I think I will end up delaying your leveling up to 3rd a bit so you can actually enjoy 2nd level some first, I think it is a good idea to take a 1 hour break IC to acquire your features.

You have not even looked for Urrtarr's spellbook, IIRC. Iago made a bad roll looking on her work table and then you moved on.

I see no reason to make getting the familiar difficult if you have a decent way IC to get it.

Remove ads