[LPF] Unwanted Farmhands

Gerald007

First Post
Syl cruelly smiles as his magic begins to take hold on the larger giant. He points to the one that Bren is punching and kicking and casts a spell, trying to put the juju on it as well.

ooc [sblock]Move action--Cackle to keep Misfortune hex active. Standard action--Cast Ill Omen on Giant 4. DC 20 Will to resist. On the next d20 roll the target makes, it must roll three times and take the less favorable result. DM, please check that...I think it is three at Syl's level, but it might only be two. Free--None.[/sblock]

Sylvain statblock:
[sblock]
http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Sylvain_Marana_(Gerald007)
Human Witch 9Initiative: +7 Perception: +2Conditions:AC: 16 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)HP: 74 of 74CMB: +2 CMD: 16 Fort: +8 Ref: +9 Will: +9 In Hand: Nothing
Spells: Arcane
(0-level - DC 17) Daze (DC 19), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
(1st level - DC 18) Burning Hands (DC 18), Charm Person (DC 20), Enlarge Person, Enlarge Person, Ill Omen^, Shocking Grasp;
(2nd level - DC 19) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 19), Hold Person (DC 21), Glitterdust (DC 21), Vomit Swarm, Web;
(3rd level - DC 20) Dispel Magic, Fireball (DC 20), Fireball (DC 20), Heroism^, Stinking Cloud (DC 20)
(4th level - DC 21) Confusion (DC 23)^, Summon Monster IV, Wall of Ice
(5th level - DC 22) Baleful Polymorph (DC 22), Feeblemind (DC 24)

Hexes DC 21
Cackle, Evil Eye, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--Fortune on Borric, Evil Eye on Giant 1, Slumber Hex used on the big guy, Misfortune used on big guy.

[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

Fury spits onto the ground at his feet and grins with ghoulishly blood-stained teeth. At least there is more of the giant's blood on the ground than his own but he knows if they don't take the giant down in the next few moments then those moments will likely be his last. The rogue goes into a whirlwind of action attacking with both rapier and dagger. Blood loss makes him a bit dizzy and both rapier attacks miss but the dagger cuts into the giant's knee severing the ropy tendons holding the creature's kneecap in place.

"Toothpick that, you crippled sonova..."

[sblock=Action/OOC]
Full-round:
Rapier #1: +Flank+bless (1d20+14+2+1=19) Miss
Rapier #2: +Flank+bless (1d20+9+2+1=26) Miss by one :(
Dagger: +Flank+bless (1d20+14+2+1=31) for +BS+SA (1d4+3+2+5d6=33) dmg
[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 9 / Bard 2
Initiative: +8 Perception: +14

AC: 24 (17 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 88 Current: 21
CMB: +9 CMD: 26 Fort: +5 Ref: +16 Will: +7

In Hand: rapier & dagger
Effects/Conditions: Bless, Freedom of Movement, Feather Step, Bull's Strength

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 1/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

[size=+1]Updated Map[/size]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Borric was right to let the divine hammer finish off the badly wounded giant and he keeps his attention on the unlucky leader. With a wicked grin he pulls back the flail to prepare for another lunging assault. Whirling the spiked head around the weapon's handle he foregoes anything fancy and maintains his accuracy as he lunges forward.

The leader is almost finished and the fighter wants to be sure that he sends him along his way to the afterlife and believes it might take more than one more blow to do it.

"Nice, Fury. Get angry on his arse! Can you say timber?"

Borric's holy flail smashes into the giant's knees, toppling the brute forward enough that the second strike slams into the side of the giant's head. The leader continues his plummet and crashes over the carcass of a dead cow.

[sblock=Crunch]Full Attack with only Lunge: 1st Attack vs G5 (Heroism & Lunge) (1d20+21=38, 1d8+10+2d6=25) + 2nd Attack vs G5 (Heroism & Lunge) (1d20+16=35, 1d8+10+2d6=18) = 43 total
5ft step to [/sblock][sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4 Perception: +16
AC: 30 (25 w/out shield, 28(23w/shield) flat-footed, 13 Touch) -2 AC Lunge
HP: 103 Current: 99
CMB: +15 CMD: 28 (30 vs. Disarm/ 32 vs. Trip) Fort: +12 Reflex: +8 Will: +7 (+10 vs. Fear) +2 Heroism
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO), Step Up, Greater Trip, Power Attack (-3/+6Dmg) or Combat Expertise (-3/+3AC), Lunge, Heroism (+2 Att/SV/Skill - Morale)

Current Weapon in Hand: Darkwood Shield(LH), MWk Spiked Gauntlet (RH), Holy Fail (RH)
Chakram: 1/1 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock] Updated Map

perrinmiller

Adventurer
HillGiant_zps4adbb41d.png

The last giant standing fails to shrug off the stunning blow nor Syl's spell. He stands there with a dumb expression (much like before) and sways on his feet.

OOC: Combat: Round 8
[sblock=Combat Information]Giants have 10ft reach
G1, G2, G3, W2 & W3 bleeding out and unconscious
G4 failed savea and is stunned
G5 Dead

Initiative:
You guys
Unwanted farmhands

Map Notes:
Large Creature bodies count as difficult terrain for medium creatures.
The hay pile is also difficult terrain for medium creatures.

Party Stats:
Code:
Borric:    99/103 HP remaining; 
Syl:       53/74 HP remaining; 
Walter:    37/37 HP remaining
Fury:      21/88 HP remaining; 
Bren:      53/74 HP remaining; 

Spells Cast: Syl: (Heroism, Confusion, Evil Omen) 
            Bren: (Spiritual Hammer-3/8rounds, Freedom of Movement, Bless, Searing Light,
                  Bull's strength, Spiritual Ally-3/8 rounds, Murderous Command) 
            Fury: Feather Step
Abilities Used: Fortune (Borric), Channel Energyx1(Bren), Misfortune (G5)
Conditions in effect: Heroism (Borric), Freedom of Movement(Fury), Fortune (Borric)
                      Feather Step (Fury), Bless (All), Bull's Strength (Fury)
Enemy Stats:
Code:
Dire Wolf 1: Dead
Dire Wolf 2 (AC0/37HP): -10HP; dying
Dire Wolf 3 (AC0/37HP): -10HP; dying
Dire Wolf 4: Dead
Giant 1     (AC0/85HP): -13HP; dying
Giant 2     (AC0/85HP): -12HP; dying
Giant 3     (AC0/85HP): -3HP; dying
Giant 4     (AC21/Touch 08/CMD24/85HP): 25hp remain; stunned & Evil Omened
Giant 5: Dead
[/sblock] Updated Map
GM: Everyone is up for Round 8.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]
"Nice, guys! Let's finish this now." The priest continues the pummeling of his foe, driving a fist deep into giant gut and hammering a knee into the nerve complex on its other thigh. The Giant drops like a rock; Bren steps back neatly to avoid being crushed beneath the falling weight.​
[/section]

[sblock=Actions][/sblock]

No Map Changes
AC: 21 (18 Flat-Footed, 21 Touch)
HP: 53/74
CMB: +16 CMD: 28 (+18/30 vs Grapple)
Fort: +12 Reflex: +08 Will: +18

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (09/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (08/08)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (07/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer, Searing Light
4th Level: Discern Lies, Freedom of Movement, Restoration, Spiritual Ally
[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Orlando Furioso, Venzan bravo

Fury stares blankly at the fallen giant leader then grins over at Borric. He wipes the blood from his lips on his sleeve and the blood staining his weapons on the giant's clothing before sheathing them and speaking.

"Gonna have to add 'Giant-Slayer' to your list of monikers, Borric. You, too, Breninyr." He shakes his head in wonderment. "I didn't know you had it in you, Bren; took out two of 'em on your own. I don't feel so bad now about leaving you to handle both of those big fellows. And thanks for the magics but I gotta tell you: I've got agility magics and rely more on positioning and finding weak spots to attack over brute strength. In the future you'd be better using those strength magics on yourself."

He winks at Breninyr and goes over and claps Sylvain on the shoulder taking care to avoid Waltor.

"Don't know how you managed to make those giants even dumber, ha, but it worked nicely against them."

Fury then turns back to surveying the battlefield and the mass of bodies heaped up at the entrance to the barn.

"Someone's got a big chore ahead of them getting rid of the bodies but I think we've finished our work here. I have to say I am glad we ran into you two, and more than just the fun of running into old friends; Bren and I couldn't have done this on our own."

[sblock=Quick Battle Analysis]
First off: Awesome fight! I really enjoyed that. I would be interested in hearing your design strategy for this encounter. The wolves were a nice warm-up and the giants were meaty enough to have me wondering about Fury making it out alive. A perfect balance, imo.

Mowgli, I apologize for Fury running off and abandoning Bren to the mercies of two of the giants. In retrospect it probably would have been better if Fury had moved the opposite direction as Bren so they could have set up flanking and the two of them taken out the two giants quickly so they could move to help Borric and Sylvain quicker. Bad tactics on my part (and a horrible run-on sentence!).

Also, I appreciate you spending actions to give Fury buffs! Unfortunately Fury gets little benefit from increased STR; just a little extra damage on his off hand weapon (Fury uses Weapon Finesse and the Agile property on his rapier to use DEX for hit and damage). That's the first time I've encountered Spiritual Ally. Very cool that they gave clerics a Spiritual Weapon upgrade and thanks for setting it up for flanking.

Gerald, I would have loved to have the Fortune hex on Fury. Some very rough calculations: Fury had a 50% chance to hit with his first attack, 25% to hit with his second. I think the giant had a 5% chance to MISS Fury with his first attack, 25% with his second. The chances that we could gain benefit from Fortune is much higher than the chances that we would gain benefit from Misfortune. Obviously that is pretty specific for this battle but I imagine that is pretty true of all big, strong monsters like giants.

Overall, a great battle everyone! Thanks, guys.
[/sblock]

• Orlando Furioso •

[sblock=MiniStats][size=+1]Fury[/size] Human Rogue 9 / Bard 2
Initiative: +8 Perception: +14

AC: 24 (17 touch; 18 flat-footed)
HP: 88 Current: 21
CMB: +9 CMD: 26 Fort: +5 Ref: +16 Will: +7

In Hand: rapier & dagger
Effects/Conditions: Bless, Freedom of Movement, Feather Step, Bull's Strength

Bard Spells
Spells Remaining: 1st: 1/2
Spells Known:
1st: Expedition Retreat, Feather Step, Vanish
0-level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Light, Prestidigitation, Sift[/sblock]

Gerald007

First Post
Syl laughs as he plops down on the ground. "Well, that was more than I was expecting. I figured we might be trying to roust a thug or two, but not a tribe of freakish giants. Impressive performance by the lot of you all, though. Can't think of anyone I'd rather bust up some giants with, though."

Sylvain statblock:
[sblock]
http://livingpf.wikia.com/wiki/Sylvain_Marana_(Gerald007)
Human Witch 9Initiative: +7 Perception: +2Conditions:AC: 16 (14 touch; 13 flat-footed)HP: 74 of 74CMB: +2 CMD: 16 Fort: +8 Ref: +9 Will: +9 In Hand: Nothing
Spells: Arcane
(0-level - DC 17) Daze (DC 19), Detect Magic, Message, Stabilize;
(1st level - DC 18) Burning Hands (DC 18), Charm Person (DC 20), Enlarge Person, Enlarge Person, Ill Omen^, Shocking Grasp;
(2nd level - DC 19) Cure Mod. Wounds, Flaming Sphere (DC 19), Hold Person (DC 21), Glitterdust (DC 21), Vomit Swarm, Web;
(3rd level - DC 20) Dispel Magic, Fireball (DC 20), Fireball (DC 20), Heroism^, Stinking Cloud (DC 20)
(4th level - DC 21) Confusion (DC 23)^, Summon Monster IV, Wall of Ice
(5th level - DC 22) Baleful Polymorph (DC 22), Feeblemind (DC 24)

Hexes DC 21
Cackle, Evil Eye, Flight, Fortune, Healing, Misfortune, Slumber--Fortune on Borric, Evil Eye on Giant 1, Slumber Hex used on the big guy, Misfortune used on big guy.

[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]
Bren stands panting for a moment, amazed at the sudden end to the fight. "Well, that was fun! Thanks, Fury . . . I didn't know I had it in me either! That scrap in the mountains a few weeks back was the first fighting I've ever done besides training, and it was a very different one. I've studied, of course, but this was . . . different.

"Borric, Syl, very impressive! I wouldn't have liked to be toe to toe with that bruiser, Barrick, and Syl, your magics are not nice at all. Thanks for the help!"
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]Excellent fight! I thoroughly enjoyed the combats in our last outing, GlassEye (playing a character who has to think beyond his own tactics and on to how he can help control the field for the rest of the party was new to me I could've done better. I loved this fight - the spiritual weapon and ally did their parts, plinking away and setting up the flanks, etc. and Bren got to kick a little butt. Got really lucky, though - I'm sure Fortitude is the Giant's strong save and they didn't shrug off any of his stunning fists (though if it hadn't been for Syl's intervention they probably would have that one round.

My bad on the Bull's Strength - I was thinking of Fury getting that extra couple of damage on every attack, and didn't take into account his Agile Weapon. When I cast the Freedom of Movement I was thinking primarily of Fury being grappled - that spell is pretty much an auto-avoid/escape vs. Grapple, and I knew we didn't want our mobile damage dealer tied down. Ended up not being relevant but it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, and the spell was there to burn.

Other things I'd have done differently - Shield of Faith before going in is probably the biggest thing. With so many things going on that take actions, I had a hard time deciding when to spend the swift action to enhance Bren's AC vs. moving the Spiritual Ally vs. (something else I can't remember right now), and had similar quandries about the move actions). Typically, that's not something my characters have to worry about.

No worries on moving off, though, GE. Bren's got the Jaunt Boots, so he could've gotten out of AoO range even of the giants and cast a spell if needed, or led them close to help a little at a time.

Outta time to post - possibly more thoughts later.

Great fight, PM! Nice set up, plenty of tactical thought required (good call to lead them out rather than trying to muck around in all the difficult terrain inside the barn).[/sblock]

AC: 21 (18 Flat-Footed, 21 Touch)
HP: 53/74
CMB: +16 CMD: 28 (+18/30 vs Grapple)
Fort: +12 Reflex: +08 Will: +18

Senses: DarkVision
Perception: +15, Sense Motive: +10

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Special Abilities: Advice (10/10 Rnds), Calming Touch (09/09), Channel Energy (09/10)
Special Abilities: Inspiring Command (09/09), Stunning Fist: Fatigue, Crushing Blow (08/08)
Special Abilities: Ki Pool (07/08)

Prayers Available
Orisons: Detect Magic, Guidance, Read Magic, Stabilize
1st Level: Bless, Bless, Murderous Command, Murderous Command, Ray of Sickening, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith
2nd Level: Bull's Strength, Prot from Evil (C), Shield Other, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
3rd Level: Archon's Aura, Chain of Perdition, Invisibility Purge, Prayer, Searing Light
4th Level: Discern Lies, Freedom of Movement, Restoration, Spiritual Ally
[/sblock]

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
~ Galloway Farmstead: 3:00pm ~

With the last giant being knocked down, the unwanted farmhands are lying broken and bleeding around barn. Even now you look at the huge great clubs and consider yourselves lucky that things had not gone the other way.

Farmer1_zpsb944fdfd.jpg

The farmer calls over from several yards away, "That be the lot of them, ya?"

OOC: Combat Over: 6400XP each
[sblock=Combat Information]
Party Stats:
Code:
Borric:    99/103 HP remaining; 
Syl:       53/74 HP remaining; 
Walter:    37/37 HP remaining
Fury:      21/88 HP remaining; 
Bren:      53/74 HP remaining; 

Spells Cast: Syl: (Heroism, Confusion, Evil Omen) 
            Bren: (Spiritual Hammer-2/8rounds, Freedom of Movement, Bless, Searing Light,
                  Bull's strength, Spiritual Ally-2/8 rounds, Murderous Command) 
            Fury: Feather Step
Abilities Used: Fortune (Borric), Channel Energyx1(Bren), Misfortune (G5)
Conditions in effect: Heroism (Borric), Freedom of Movement(Fury), Fortune (Borric)
                      Feather Step (Fury), Bless (All), Bull's Strength (Fury)
[/sblock]

[sblock=GM Comments]Thanks, guys! :) I could tell everyone was really into it from the pace of posting and quality.

Giants can be pretty dangerous and having them bottle-necked is what made the fight doable, yet still tense. Even the last few rounds could have seen some different results, but I rolled less than 10 on the dice several times to miss in attacks and saves that tipped the favor away from the giants quite severely.

I agree, Fortune would have been better served on Fury. We are used to using that tactic with Borric, but honestly both Fury and Bren should get it instead of Borric now. I would have cast Bull's Strength on Borric instead. He can make good use of it and it stacks with Heroism.

Also there was a point in the battle that Syl stopped cackling for no reason. He was already in position to hex the giant leader without moving and he could have maintained the cackle. Once a witch starts cackling, the idea is to keep on cackling and using spells or hexes and only move with free 5ft steps. That is the key, Gerald. Look at the layout of the battlefield and keep 5ft stepping to be in position so conserve the Move Action to maintain the buff/debuffs.

Spiritual Ally is your new best friend for flanking with Fury!!! It cannot be attacked effectively and therefore can maintain the flanking for the rogue with minimal risk for another character behind the enemies. Fury needs Lunge, GE. I know you were looking at some retooling, so I think that is a feat to consider.

On design:
I hope the giants were a surprise. I figured you all were expecting some human type NPC thugs.

Wolves sort of were a cheap way to add more opponents without increasing the XP too much. Hill giants are often accompanied by Dire Wolves and I thought it would be better to have 4 of them instead of 1 more giant. Turns out they did not last long, but they kept us away from the giants while they stood up and armed themselves.

I thought the cows made a viable replacement for throwing boulders and went well with the theme. Adding mobile difficult terrain also cut down on a bunch of 5ft steps for Borric, which can suck. Glad I took Lunge during level up. :p

I did make a mistake that I corrected midway through. Large dead bodies are only difficult terrain for medium creatures. I need to remember than medium dead bodies create difficult terrain for small creatures and I forget that. So large creatures do not suffer the same issue with large dead bodies.

I like fights where I do not have to pull many punches as GM, but I also could not go full out trying to kill the party with Borric potentially being right in the front and taking all the punishment. I was still actually worried about accidentally killing him. I also leveled him up because I was afraid that he would take a heavy beating. Two giants with power attack could still have gotten lucky in one round and leveled him quite easily. That was one reason I switch to use Combat Expertise for the first time ever with Borric. It paid off big time and caused 3 misses. Had those hit, Bren would have been hard pressed to reposition to save him.

SK sorta mentioned he needed big battlefields with tons of bad guys to make a fight last longer than 2 rounds at the upper levels. That is why he insists he needs to take a huge party for some reason. I took this as a challenge and made one high level (CR13) encounter designed to last about 7-10.[/sblock]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Swash1.jpg

Borric was just about to move up alongside Bren and crush the last giant. But it proved to be unnecessary and he hooks the handle of giantslayer (the new name of his flail) on his belt and slaps Bren on the back instead.

"Jolly good fookin' show, Bren! Just smashing, wot? I had to do some fancy shield work there myself or they could have pounded me flat. But there you stand, nearly naked in there face. Balls of stone, man. Balls of stone!"

"Fury, I think I shall remain the mageslayer. Even after all this time, I can only really claim to have slain one fearsome foe without help. This was just one more example where I would not be the hero I am without the crucial aid of good companions. But I am sure as sheet naming my new flail 'giantslayer'. Pity I did not know that fook's name."
He gestured to the dead giant leader.

He calls over to the old farmer, "Yeah gramps. We took care of your unwanted barn guests for you."

[sblock=Mini Stats]Borric Hawkins
Initiative:
+4 Perception: +16
AC: 30 (25 w/out shield, 28(23w/shield) flat-footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 103 Current: 99
CMB: +15 CMD: 28 (30 vs. Disarm/ 32 vs. Trip) Fort: +12 Reflex: +8 Will: +7 (+10 vs. Fear) +2 Heroism
Conditions in Effect: Ioun Torch (in darkness), Combat Reflexes (3 AoO), Step Up, Greater Trip, Power Attack (-3/+6Dmg) or Combat Expertise (-3/+3AC), Lunge, Heroism (+2 Att/SV/Skill - Morale)

Current Weapon in Hand: Darkwood Shield(LH), MWk Spiked Gauntlet (RH), Holy Fail (RH)
Chakram: 1/1 MWK & 6/6 Cold Iron remaining
Light Hammers: 2/2 remaining[/sblock]

[sblock=Comments as a player]I liked the fact that I could run Borric with out meta-gaming the spoilers. I actually have experience doing this quite a bit from running multiple games where I have a PC in the party. I liked that we could use our leveled up characters together and test out tactics in preparation for the next campaign. It is good to know how that will work and be able to use the lessons learned.

While I am not getting a share of the XP, I can apply the DMC earned to Borric and he effectively gets double the TBX/TBG. Over a long haul, that would not necessarily be enough in a combat heavy game, but it would still reliably level him up every 3 months.

Using Ditzie was good since it makes it easier to see what people have done in the posts before. Though when you take someone out, then you should put the dying or dead icon over them for the next person. ;) So even if you don't move, you sometimes have to update the map anyway. With more experience, you guys can even take any icon and double click it to change it. If you were to explore the folder of my gallery, you would find the icons folder and I could have many status ones in there. I have even started finding my folder to do just that in your game, Mowgli. :)[/sblock]

Remove ads