Luck-themed feats

calypso15

Explorer
I'm trying to make charisma worth taking. What do you guys thing of these, in terms of power/balance/abuseability:

Fool’s Luck [General]
You always seem to stumble out of harm’s way.

Prerequisite: Cha 15, Lucky

As long as one of your uses of Lucky remains, you receive a +1 luck bonus to your armor class.

In addition, you gain one additional use of Lucky each day.

Lucky [General]
Things just seem to always go your way.

Prerequisite: Cha 13

Once per day you may reroll one roll that you have just made before the game master declares whether the roll results in success. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Perverse Luck [General]
Bad luck is a form of luck too, and your enemies seem to have more than their share.

You may expend a use of Lucky to force the game master to reroll one roll he has just made, after he announces the outcome.

Survivor’s Luck [General]
Your luck has seen you through more dire situations than most men ever face.

As long as one of your uses of Lucky remains, you receive a +2 luck bonus on whichever of your saves has the lowest base bonus. If two or more of your saves tie for the lowest bonus, choose which save it applies to when you take this feat. If your base save bonuses change, the bonus changes accordingly.

Unfortunate Aura [General]
Whenever you’re around, it seems like everything goes wrong.

Prerequisite: Cha 17, Perverse Luck

Once per day, you may expend a use of Lucky in order to gain an aura that imposes a -2 luck penalty to everyone within 30 feet of you (not including you). This is a supernatural ability and lasts for 1 minute.

wolfpunk

First Post
If I am a sorc or a paladin, or any other charisma based character I would consider them, particularly a hexblade. If I am not a charisma based class I am not going to pump up my charisma in order to take these feats, sorry.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
These seem to be similar to the [Luck] feats in Complete Scoundrel. Have you looked at those? I'm not overly familiar with them, but the idea of a "luck pool" seems similar.

How useful they are depends highly on your game's point buy (or the generosity of your stat roll mechanic). Not many PCs will have Charisma 17, but a whole lot of fiends & dragons will.

Cheers, -- N

Li Shenron

Legend
I think they are ok, but I would avoid using the Perverse Luck feat. Considering that some DMs fudge dice rolls, this feat can be problematic...

Also, you have to specify to which rolls does the -2 penalty from Unfortunate Aura applies!

calypso15

Explorer
Nifft said:
These seem to be similar to the [Luck] feats in Complete Scoundrel. Have you looked at those? I'm not overly familiar with them, but the idea of a "luck pool" seems similar.

How useful they are depends highly on your game's point buy (or the generosity of your stat roll mechanic). Not many PCs will have Charisma 17, but a whole lot of fiends & dragons will.

I took the inspiration for Survivor's Luck from one of the feats in Complete Scoundrel, actually. These feats are generally better than the [Luck] feats, as those only allow you to reroll certain rolls while this is more broadly applied.

Do you think I should drop the requirements down a notch each? Charisma 17 does seem fairly unattainable to anyone except sorcerers and bards.

I think they are ok, but I would avoid using the Perverse Luck feat. Considering that some DMs fudge dice rolls, this feat can be problematic...

Also, you have to specify to which rolls does the -2 penalty from Unfortunate Aura applies!

Heh, I realized my mistake and fixed Unfortunate Aura shortly after posting these. Attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws.

Remove ads