• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Lunar Sorcery: A Preview from Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass. Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created. Lunar Sorcerers also draw power...

WotC has posted a preview from the upcoming Shadow of the Dragon Queen on D&D Beyond, diving into the Lunary Sorcery subclass.

lunar-socerer-featured.jpg

Traditionally magic in Krynn has been represented by the Wizards of High Sorcery, who owe their allegiance to one of the black, red, or white moons (and gods) of magic. Sorcerers weren't around in D&D when Dragonlance was created.

Lunar Sorcerers also draw power from the moons, based on the moon's phase (Full, New, Crescent). You choose the phase each day (though at later levels you can do so more often). The subclass gets a lot of spells (15 additional spells!)

I guess maybe they'd find it odd that somebody managed to use magic so easily with little or no study, but I don't think required homework is a major part of the world's fiction. As long as they're a member of the order and follow the rules.
If I remember right from the original fiction, you could use whatever magic until you reached a certain amount of power - so in game terms, level 3. If you keep your spellcasting level 2 and under, the Towers would ignore you. But if you increased, you basically were a rogue wizard (probably wouldn't matter game-mechanics wise) and they would hunt you. The Tests of High Sorcery were to get accepted into the Orders and basically get your Wizard License... with the final test being you had to sacrifice something valuable to you. In the novel, Raistlin flat out killed his brother during the test ... which at times made it VERY awkward to be in the adventuring party together since his brother Caramon was there for the killing

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
If I remember right from the original fiction, you could use whatever magic until you reached a certain amount of power - so in game terms, level 3. If you keep your spellcasting level 2 and under, the Towers would ignore you. But if you increased, you basically were a rogue wizard (probably wouldn't matter game-mechanics wise) and they would hunt you. The Tests of High Sorcery were to get accepted into the Orders and basically get your Wizard License... with the final test being you had to sacrifice something valuable to you. In the novel, Raistlin flat out killed his brother during the test ... which at times made it VERY awkward to be in the adventuring party together since his brother Caramon was there for the killing
Anyone can use 1st and 2nd level mage spells without worry, the Wizards of High Sorcery considers these folks to be dabblers. Once a wizard grows in power enough to cast 3rd level spells (i.e. once they have the capability to hypothetically lob a fireball into a village square) they are required to report to the Tower of High Sorcery and take the Test of High Sorcery, upon which passing they join the Orders and are assigned their robe color (white for good, red for neutral, black for evil). Refusal to submit to the Test and join Orders will result in one being branded a renegade wizard and being hunted.

Anyone can use 1st and 2nd level mage spells without worry, the Wizards of High Sorcery considers these folks to be dabblers. Once a wizard grows in power enough to cast 3rd level spells (i.e. once they have the capability to hypothetically lob a fireball into a village square) they are required to report to the Tower of High Sorcery and take the Test of High Sorcery, upon which passing they join the Orders and are assigned their robe color (white for good, red for neutral, black for evil). Refusal to submit to the Test and join Orders will result in one being branded a renegade wizard and being hunted.
I was told at the end of the last week this is wrong, not only did rastlin take the test before then but was a traveling 3rd level wizard after this... he said (although I don't remember it) something a kin to he couldn't cast fireball he wasn't that powerful yet.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I was told at the end of the last week this is wrong, not only did rastlin take the test before then but was a traveling 3rd level wizard after this... he said (although I don't remember it) something a kin to he couldn't cast fireball he wasn't that powerful yet.
You know, you're right. I apologize, I don't have my books in front of me.

1E and 2E required the test of wizards once a magic-user/mage reached 3rd experience level; 3.5E required it once a character reached the ability to cast 3rd level spells. Since Raistlin had been the youngest ever to take the Test, at that time, and Par-Salian pretty much rushed him into it due to his potential, and since DL1 set him at Magic-User 3, he likely took the test super early, either way (in 1E, he would have been Magic-User 2 for the test, at best).

Remove ads

Remove ads