[M&M 3E] October 1962 (Full)

I was looking at the power profile book and this was the the example for a create darkness power. I think it makes everyone inside unable to see anything. I then took sense 2 to see through all darkness.
Ugh, I just looked it up. And that is so wrong. To cause blindness in M&M3 requires an affliction. And this power is just so wrongly constructed. As I said above Concealment makes you invisible. I suppose one interpretation of it is that if the area is invisible people can't see. But they can still see. They would see the outside area normally. Environment is the power to inflict conditions on an area and it doesn't allow for blindness because blindness is an affliction.

I'm sorry. I just have issues with that book. Some people swear by it. I find some of its constructions sketchy. Not my game, so not my call. But to me, you want:

5 PP Affliction 5, (Impaired, Disabled), Area (cloud) 3, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery**, Limited (Sight Only)

I would probably link this to the Environment 2 -5 visibility so that people who aren't affected by the blindness are at least still subjected to some negatives for standing in darkness. (Oh, and my first impression was wrong. You don't need concealment at all because you aren't going invisible. It's just dark around you.)

**Instant Recovery isn't the exact thing here but it's close enough.

Ugh, I just looked it up. And that is so wrong. To cause blindness in M&M3 requires an affliction. And this power is just so wrongly constructed. As I said above Concealment makes you invisible. I suppose one interpretation of it is that if the area is invisible people can't see. But they can still see. They would see the outside area normally. Environment is the power to inflict conditions on an area and it doesn't allow for blindness because blindness is an affliction.

I'm sorry. I just have issues with that book. Some people swear by it. I find some of its constructions sketchy. Not my game, so not my call. But to me, you want:

5 PP Affliction 5, (Impaired, Disabled), Area (cloud) 3, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery**, Limited (Sight Only)

I would probably link this to the Environment 2 -5 visibility so that people who aren't affected by the blindness are at least still subjected to some negatives for standing in darkness. (Oh, and my first impression was wrong. You don't need concealment at all because you aren't going invisible. It's just dark around you.)

**Instant Recovery isn't the exact thing here but it's close enough.
Ah ok so that makes sense. I'll make the changes tomorrow. Though I did want to become invisible in darkness as well. That would be concealment 2 limited in darkness correct.

On further thought, I forgot one detail, entering the darkness after it comes into existence. And that makes it much more expensive because it needs to be a Reaction effect.

On further thought, I forgot one detail, entering the darkness after it comes into existence. And that makes it much more expensive because it needs to be a Reaction effect.

Ok so was working out the powers. I think I worked something out. I did notice in the book under environment for visibility (pg 160) it specifically says to use concealment for obscuring attacks. In either case here is what I think works for a linked power.

Create darkness:
Blindness:
Affliction 5, (Impaired, Disabled), Area (cloud) 3, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery**, Limited (Sight Only), Concentration, Activation (standard), Reaction, linked. 10pts
Darkness:
Environment 3 (visibility -5), linked. 6pts

Here is the update with the concealment power removed and replaced with a linked power.

Charles (Charlie) Babitch
(Hero; PL: 1; PP: 15/20)

Strength: 0; Agility: 3; Fighting: 0; Awareness: 2
Stamina: 1; Dexterity: 3; Intellect: 1; Presence: 0

Dodge: 3, Parry: 0, Fortitude: 1, Toughness: 1, Will: 2

SKILLS: Expertise: Survival (1 Rank + Int)+3; Insight (1 Rank + Awr)+3; Perception (2 Rank + Awr)+4; Ranged Combat: Move Object (6 Rank + Dex)+9; Stealth (4 Rank + Agi)+7
ADVANTAGES: Tracking
Powers:

Shadow Meld: Concealment 4 (Visual), Limited to areas of shadow or darkness 4pts
Create darkness: (Linked Powers)
Blindness: Affliction 5, (Impaired, Disabled), Area (cloud) 3, Limited Degree, Instant Recovery**, Limited (Sight Only), Concentration, Activation (standard), Reaction. 10pts
Darkness:Environment 3 (visibility -5). 6pts​
Control Darkness Array: 23pts
Shadow Tendrils: (Damaging Move Object 6, Affect Insubstatial 1, Split 1) 20pts
Alternate Effects:
Shadow Bind: Cumulative Ranged Affliction 6 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Will; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized), Extra Condition, Limited Degree 18pts
Shadow Walk: Teleport 6, Medium (Shadows), Easy, Accurate, Change Velocity and Direction. 20pts
Shadow Shaping: Create 5 (Shadow), Impervious, Continuous. 20pts​
Darkvision: Sense 2 (Vision Counters Concelment - Darkness) 2pts
Shadow Shield: Protection 3 (Dark force), Sustained 3pts​

LANGUAGES: English

Eyes: Blue Hair: Black
Height: 6' Weight:185 lb.

BACKGROUND
Charlie has always been an outsider. His family is a little strange. His father believed the Reds had infiltarted the country. This was the prelude to an invasion. He had spent years and almost every dime he made outfitting a bunker in the mountains of their property. He had been teaching his son to live off the land and resist when the day finally arrived. His mom was crazy, and in this case it was not an exaggeration. She spoke to angels or that was what she said. This made it hard to have friends so Charlie didn't try. It also didn't help that his father barley held a job so Charlie had to work nights and weekends to support his family. He wished only to get away from this town but new it would never happen. He was stuck with no one but himself.

COMPLICATIONS
  • Motivation: Acceptance: He might not show it but all Charlie wants is to be accepted by his peers.
  • Responsibility: Charlie is the only one who supports his family. Without him they would lose everything.
  • Power Loss: When direct intense light hits his skin he cannot use his powers.
TOTALS: Abilities: 24, Powers: 48, Advantages: 1, Skills: 7, Defenses: 0 -> 80

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases