M3: Assassin's Knot (Patlin judging)

Knight Otu

First Post
jkason said:
"perhaps you'd accompany me, Master Nurlan,"
"A good idea in any case. One should not walk alone in these situations.
Master Abraham, I asked my question for a few reasons. One of these is that my informant warned me about the skill level of the potential assassins. I have reason to believe that, if they wanted you dead, you would be. That you aren't dead could have two reasons. One, the man might not have been an assassin, but a thief. Maybe he was attempting to obtain false, plantable evidence. Two, and more likely, the assassins want to goad you and your friends into a battle for which they are prepared, and you are not. That way, they can ensure to catch all of you.
"

Manzanita

First Post
Abraham seems stunned by this theory. Balmorrow is silent.

"They are clever, those assassins. Perhaps setting us up would be easier than killing us. We are not defenseless. But who is your informant, Ashnar? It sounds like you like you are well-informed." says Abraham.

OOC: Rinaldo's CLW potion cured 4 pts dmg. He is now at 9 of 29 hps. Tenebrynn has the button, Rinaldo the hair, and Nurlan the lute string, as I recall.

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo is lying on his bed, staring at a dark corner when Eanos and Nurlan enter the room.

"Rinaldo? How're you doing?" Nurlan asks the merchant.

Rinaldo speak without looking at his friends. He is staring at some point floating in teh darkness and his voice is filled with sadness. "Bad... I have a few wounds but that's nothing. I've been acting like a beginner on that one. That was pretty lame. Abraham almost killed me. I understand him, seeing someone entering his room at night, without warning. I can't blame him to think I was an assassin, even more when I look like him. That was a mistake to take his appearance. I should have known I might fall on him.

But when I ran away. I thought to my family. My wife was angry last time I saw her. She told me to come back only when I'll have all my head. She was right. My recent success had been giving a reckless confidence. I should not be here. I have a family. Salvador want to become a wizard, just like his aunt Opale. As soon as he started to speak, he was talking about her. He asked me every night when would she come and do tricks. And Isabella, a little treasure who have start to run around. She has too much energy and his mother can barely contain her. Luckily, Salvador love to play with her and they play until both are too tired. And Carlo. His first birthday is in only one month.

All that came back to me. And I though that I almost lost that all. They almost lost there father. I was telling myself I was doing that for them. Spice isn't a good trade. t is control by merchant houses. I am alone in that. I wanted to start a better business. Magical items. How lucrative it can be. With that much travellers and adventurers that come in Orussus, it can be a lot profitable. I wanted the best life for them. It is what I told myself. But I think it is more by ambition I am doing that. I would like to become rich, to have a prosperous business. I think I passing next to too much things.

I am here doing intrigue for a government that won't do much for me and my family. I might die, but who would take care of my family? I've been wounded tonight. But I think teh wounds Abraham inflict to me is nothing to the one I am inflicting to myself."

Manzanita

First Post
Knight Otu said:
"If I were at liberty to reveal his identity, I would have done so already. I do not wish to lose his trust. I am sorry about that."

"Ah. I see. So are you really here to start an exotic animal business or are you here because of the assassins?" asks Abraham.

"Yes! We know the assassins have made many enemies in their trade. We've been hoping relatives of their victims would have tracked them to here and would help us get rid of them!" adds Balmorrow.

jkason

First Post
Eanos, human monk

Eanos stands near the merchant, and says softly, "I'm new to this life, Rinaldo, but I think there is worth in it. What you call folly has revealed to us an important clue, and a sizeable evil. According to Abraham, this town houses an assassin's guild."

The monk places a hand on Rinaldo's shoulder as he continues. "You say you want a better life for your children? I think eliminating the threat to life and freedom a guild like this represents would be a very big step toward clearing their path to that life. Clearly you've learned--and taught us all--that we can never afford to let our guard down, but I think there's too much good to do here for you to turn away. Don't you?"

orsal

LEW Judge
Velmont (Rinaldo) said:
"I am here doing intrigue for a government that won't do much for me and my family. I might die, but who would take care of my family? I've been wounded tonight. But I think teh wounds Abraham inflict to me is nothing to the one I am inflicting to myself."

Nurlan is taken aback by the misgivings Rinaldo is suddenly showing. "I hope you don't bail now. We've got a major break. It turns out Abraham has been investigating the work activities of an assassins' guild based in Three Rings. Balmorrow, my employer at the Theater, is in with him. The rest of us are with them in the common room. After being attacked by a lookalike, Abraham figures they're on to him, and it may be time to act decisively. They're going to brief us, and we're all hoping you can join us."

He pulls out his wand and touches Rinaldo with it. "Lehishtako!" Cure Light Wounds on Rinaldo for 5 HP

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo sit down on his bad and looks at Eanos. "I am only 28 years old, but I feel like I had twice. Eanos, have you ever killed a man? From cold blood? I have. He was a bandit, I did it because I wanted to stop his band from attacking travellers and merchant. I still feel the blood of that man on my hands. He was the first to fall, he had not a chance to defend himself, not even to surrender. I saw his eyes fixing mine as I appeared before him when the invisibility spell was dismiss by my agressive action. I've done good that day, I've stop the bandits. We capture most of the bandit and surrender them to the road warden. But I'll never forgot what I've done at that moment. It haunt my dream and it will enver leave me. It is one thing to destroy an undead, or even kill a goblin. They are so different. but fighting men are another things. There is other way to do good. Way that would allow me to see my family, way that would not harm my soul in the process. You'll learn that someday Eanos, I just wish you'll not learn that the same way as I have."

The merchant pause. He then looks at Nurlan "I've done a deal. It would not be told that Rinaldo would have not respected his part of the bargain. But over that, I will not let you get killed if I can do something. We've seen much together, I've seen even more with Tenebrynn and Ashnar. I would not be a friend if I would let you down now."

Rinaldo stands up, close his eyes and take a deep breath. As he opens his eyes, his smile come back and nothing let show that a moment ago he was sad. He take Mordik's tolls and give it to Nurlan. "Take this and give it to Mordik when you'll be able to do so. And if you can use that wand again, I think it is better to hide those wounds as much as possible. If I understand, Abraham thinks it was the guild who attack him. If he things I was the one, it might turn the tide."

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn looks to Ashnar and Mordik, the only two in the room with him, then back to Abraham and Balmorrow. So it appears that if we are to take this a step further, we must reveal more. I have the button, so here goes.

"Balmorrow what you say rings true, at least with me. A friend of mine was attacked and killed by skilled individuals such as those we have only now learned reside here in Three Rings. There was one clue in particular that I have been following." with that he produces the red button. "This button was found on the body of my friend and with the spells at my disposal I tracked the button here, to you Abraham. With the attack tonight by someone disguised as you it looks like you are right that they are trying to frame you. I have found in my research that while this button might belong to your vest Abraham, you do not seem the type to conduct such evil. I am with you in bringing down this assassin's guild and getting revenge for my dear friend."

NakuruSai

First Post
Mordik eyes Abraham suspiciously as Tenebrynn reveals more to him...
[smallcaps]That may not be wise, I still dont trust him[/smallcaps] Mordik thinks.
Mordik adds, somewhat forcefully: [smallcaps]We've established this isn't the safest place, perhaps we should take this to a room which might be less easily spied upon?[/smallcaps]

Remove ads