• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Machine creature type or subtype

scpna

First Post
I was considering a world where magic has been released on a world that already possessed technology. I was working on ideas for robots as monsters. I was originally going to use the construct type for them, but while working on it I came up with some problems:
1) constructs are immune to critical hits, I don't think robots should be (wouldn't pnuematics and circuitry be sort of like vitals?)
2) constructs are also immune to death from massive damage, machines shouldn't be (see above)
3) I think robots should have some sort of built in weakness to electrical damage (like in addition to damage it stuns them)
4) constructs are subject to certain spells that affect their magical nature, robots being non-magical ahouldn't have this problem
I was considering a new creature type based on the construct type that would incorporate these cahnges, and I was wondering if anyone else had some good advice.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
welcome to the boards, scpna :D! here's a couple of thoughts...

reasons machines should be constructs:

1) they're still objects, and objects have special properties (immunity to criticals, etc.). i understand the point of pnuematics and circuitry as vitals, but there's nothing else in the system that reflects this (if you ignore a vorpal weapon, for example). if any creature takes a critical hit they take extra damage from a solid hit or a hit in a vital area, however, they don't lose any function or capability. (there are no negatives to any rolls simply from taking damage, like there are in other RP systems)

2) machines like golems -- you could still add special damage or effects from certains spells, like all golems have. you could include something like: a machine that is hit by an electrical spell must make a Fort save or only take partial actions for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell, and/or machines get no save against heat metal spells -- or whatever to reflect the vulnerabilities that golems have against certain spells

machines as their own type:

1) there should be some overall advantages to a machine -type-, like immunity to mind affecting spells, poison, etc., etc.

2) machines could have specific advatages according to their component parts (a machine with visual sensors on all sides would be immune to flanking; a machine with radar type sensors could be equal to having blindsight, a machine would be immune to cold-based attacks if it had an anti-freeze system :D , etc.)

3) any machine that has intelligence (takes orders) should be affected by inter-personal skills by people meeting specific criteria (according to its programming). for example, if a machine is programmed to take orders only from gnomes, then any gnome should be able to bluff that machine (this could also require a visual recognition like a uniform or badge)

4) a machine that suffers a critical attack must make a save or act as if fatigued, go berserk or generally go against its primary programming functions

Knight Otu

First Post
Let me second Mr Fidgit's welcome! :)
scpna said:
I was considering a world where magic has been released on a world that already possessed technology. I was working on ideas for robots as monsters.

Robots as monsters can be found in a recent Dragon/Polyhedron magazine, the one including Omegaworld, if you need some help. (I think there is also a Mecha issue, but I haven't seen that one yet)

I was originally going to use the construct type for them, but while working on it I came up with some problems:
1) constructs are immune to critical hits, I don't think robots should be (wouldn't pnuematics and circuitry be sort of like vitals?)
2) constructs are also immune to death from massive damage, machines shouldn't be (see above)
The 'bots from Omegaworld are Constructs that lose their immunity to critical hits, and a point could be made that they also could lose their immunity to massive damage.

3) I think robots should have some sort of built in weakness to electrical damage (like in addition to damage it stuns them)
There should be no problem to add something that works similar.

4) constructs are subject to certain spells that affect their magical nature, robots being non-magical ahouldn't have this problem

What spells are you thinking of? Most spells dealing with constructs would also make sense for robots.

Basically, I'd say go with the construct type, and add special qualities to your robots to reflect the above circumstances. :)

Of course, that's IMHO.

scpna

First Post
Thanks

Thank you for the good advice on this, esp. the stuff on accepting commands from only certain races.
Sadly, I don't subscribe to Dungeon magazine so I haven't had the oppurtunity to see how they handled robots.
As to what spells I was speaking of: I was thinking of Detect Magic and Dispel Magic. Are these usable against constructs? If they are then robots would need a way out of being targetted by them.

I am right now leaning toward a subtype with special properties, so if anyone thinks of things that should definitely be different for robots, please post.

Last edited:

netnomad

Explorer
You also might want to look at Dragonstar witch has rules for robots and they are very influence by basic D&D. In other words they are more fantasy based then Sc-Fi. Also the Iron Kingdoms from Privateer Press (see link below) has steam-based technology that might work for you. Philip J Reed is working on the Construct Mechanus with is fantast based robots that is currently in play test.

DragonStar
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dragonstar.html

Steamjacks from the IK:
http://www.ironkingdoms.com/rules/steamjacks.shtml

Construct Mechanus
http://www.philipjreed.com

-NetNomad

Remove ads