Mad at Paizo?

I'm sorry, do you guys have "real fans of DnD" decoder rings or something? Gatekeeping is deeply not cool.

Gatekeeping? Who says I don't want them to play? And how could some guy typing a comment on a forum stop anyone from playing anyway?

I simply commented that I don't like those types of streams and find them contrived. Sorry if you're a fan, but you know people like different things, right?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Gatekeeping? Who says I don't want them to play? And how could some guy typing a comment on a forum stop anyone from playing anyway?

I simply commented that I don't like those types of streams and find them contrived. Sorry if you're a fan, but you know people like different things, right?

Major difference between not liking something and dismissing someone else's game as "contrived," ad if that isn't how play actually happens at their table, camera or no camera.

Major difference between not liking something and dismissing someone else's game as "contrived," ad if that isn't how play actually happens at their table, camera or no camera.

Are you honestly suggesting professional entertainers don't change their behaviour when they're performing for an audience?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm saying that theater people will play theatrically whether they have a camera or not. And in the case of Critical Role specifically, yes, they are playing the way they would otherwise. Nothing "contrived" about their playstyle.

This is definitely the case. Even as a former theater nerd playing or running in a home game the theatrics tend to come naturally. This is even more the case for people who actively exercise those muscles on a daily basis. They do it for a living because they love it. It is only natural that in an environment where they are surrounded by other people with the same passions that they would naturally fall into theatrics.

Mercurius

Legend
Pot, calling the kettle black...?

Is it, though? I would say no. To recap: I said that I find Critical Role off-putting. Darjr said "it might be a good thing for all of us" if I didn't play D&D (although who this "us" is, is not clear).

These two things are not alike. As far as I know, "Darjr" is not the embodiment or avatar of Critical Role, therefore by my saying that I find Critical Role off-putting, I am not insulting Darjr. Now Darjr may feel offense if he A) likes Critical Role, and B) identifies with Critical Role to the degree that he would take offense (which I would consider over-identification). But that was not my intention (to offend darjr), and in the end whether or not he feels offended is entirely up to him.

On the other hand, by Darjr saying that he and others would be better off if I didn't play D&D, he was insulting me, as a person - or at least the "Mercurius" avatar I play on this message board. Now for full disclosure, I am not offended by Darjr's statement as I realize he is not speaking about who I actually am, merely his projection of me as the name "Mercurius" as it appears in his consciousness field. So no big deal, really. But I would suggest the same of him: why take offense of me finding Critical Role off-putting to the degree that he (you, @darjr ) feels the need to insult someone he doesn't know? Especially when I did not insult him?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is it, though? I would say no. To recap: I said that I find Critical Role off-putting. Darjr said "it might be a good thing for all of us" if I didn't play D&D (although who this "us" is, is not clear).

These two things are not alike. As far as I know, "Darjr" is not the embodiment or avatar of Critical Role, therefore by my saying that I find Critical Role off-putting, I am not insulting Darjr. Now Darjr may feel offense if he A) likes Critical Role, and B) identifies with Critical Role to the degree that he would take offense (which I would consider over-identification). But that was not my intention (to offend darjr), and in the end whether or not he feels offended is entirely up to him.

On the other hand, by Darjr saying that he and others would be better off if I didn't play D&D, he was insulting me, as a person - or at least the "Mercurius" avatar I play on this message board. Now for full disclosure, I am not offended by Darjr's statement as I realize he is not speaking about who I actually am, merely his projection of me as the name "Mercurius" as it appears in his consciousness field. So no big deal, really. But I would suggest the same of him: why take offense of me finding Critical Role off-putting to the degree that he (you, @darjr ) feels the need to insult someone he doesn't know? Especially when I did not insult him?

Saying that "Critical Role makes me not want to play D&D" is toxic to discussion: it is saying that the show is literally disgusting, which is in fact insulting to anybody who plays like that or enjoys it.

Mercurius

Legend
Saying that "Critical Role makes me not want to play D&D" is toxic to discussion: it is saying that the show is literally disgusting, which is in fact insulting to anybody who plays like that or enjoys it.

No, not really - but we live in the age of offense and outrage, so I'm not surprised someone might feel that way. Not only are you hugely exaggerating with words like "toxic" and "disgusting", but you're only harming yourself by building it up like that.

I did not say that the show "is literally disgusting" (lol, btw), nor did I say anything about any particular play style. I merely and only said that I find Critical Role off-putting, and that it makes me not want to play D&D. The rest is your hyperbolic interpretation.

Streaming has had good and bad effects on the RPG hobby. But one of the bad must surely be the fostering of the kind of intensely loyal and emotional fanbases that makes the fandom of many movie and book franchises so off-putting. We have enough tribalism in this hobby already with edition warriors. Now we have people taking it personally if you don't happen to enjoy their favourite stream.

Remove ads