Mad at Paizo?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I apologize for any heat in my response to offensive statements in this thread: I'll just make use of the ignore feature, guess that's why it is there.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My original statement was meant semi-facetiously and not at all as seriously as Parmandur took it. I don't care how Mercer or anyone plays - it doesn't upset me. I just find it unappealing, that's all. If you or others like it, more power to you.

Here's my take on all this falderal: My guess is darjr's reply was meant to be taken in a similar vein - facetiously. Yet you didn't extend the courtesy of making a non-hostile assumption to his reply like you apparently expected of us.

TheSword

Legend
I think I have a worry that whatever the intention of the Matt Mercer, Critical Role becomes seen as the correct, standard or best way to play D&D.

I don’t personally like the show, but choose not to watch more than the 3 or 4 episodes I have. I have that ability and can choose to ignore.

However it seems to have turned into a VERY big part of how d&d is promoted, perceived and referenced. That I have no control over and can’t avoid.

This doesn’t seem to be the case for other streams like Matt C or Dice Camera Action.

I’m not saying it’s a major issue but it is disconcerting. I will also say that in a small way watching CR does put me off D&D as a game too. Not enough to stop playing but enough to demotivate me. It clearly isn’t a unique feeling.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think I have a worry that whatever the intention of the Matt Mercer, Critical Role becomes seen as the correct, standard or best way to play D&D.

I don’t personally like the show, but choose not to watch more than the 3 or 4 episodes I have. I have that ability and can choose to ignore.

However it seems to have turned into a VERY big part of how d&d is promoted, perceived and referenced. That I have no control over and can’t avoid.

This doesn’t seem to be the case for other streams like Matt C or Dice Camera Action.

I’m not saying it’s a major issue but it is disconcerting. I will also say that in a small way watching CR does put me off D&D as a game too. Not enough to stop playing but enough to demotivate me. It clearly isn’t a unique feeling.

I don't see how Critical Role is significantly different from how I've always experienced D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Then that probably explains why you don’t have a problem with it. Also why you should probably keep an open mind if people raise it as a concern for them.

I don't care if people like the show or not: don't like it, don't watch, that's perfectly fine. There are a million thing that I am uninterested in, that I do not participate in.

But calling somebody else's experience of the hobby "disconcerting," "demotivating," or "off-putting" is hurtful. If Critical Role seems to be normative of the way the game is played now, well, maybe. That's probably true. And there is no reason you have to like it, but yucking other people's yum is uncool.

Remove ads