Mad at Paizo?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Probably should read the entire thread to make sure it wasn’t already stated....apologies if it was. But PF2 core dropped off the face of the amazon sales chart in less than a week. 47 to 1100 in a week as I mentioned in the other paizo thread. Granted this initial buying frenzy were the paizo faithful picking it up at a discount from amazon but it’s already dropped like a rock since. It’s at 1105 today as I type on amazon. Do I think it’s a great indicator? No since paizo has the direct sales channel and subscriptions but it’s a good overall indicator of sales since the PHB is still in the top 100 5 years later,,,,that’s amazing to me!

Already see page 3 has some sales discussion...sorry for the repetition :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Probably should read the entire thread to make sure it wasn’t already stated....apologies if it was. But PF2 core dropped off the face of the amazon sales chart in less than a week. 47 to 1100 in a week as I mentioned in the other paizo thread. Granted this initial buying frenzy were the paizo faithful picking it up at a discount from amazon but it’s already dropped like a rock since. It’s at 1105 today as I type on amazon. Do I think it’s a great indicator? No since paizo has the direct sales channel and subscriptions but it’s a good overall indicator of sales since the PHB is still in the top 100 5 years later,,,,that’s amazing to me!

Yeah, PF2 is doing fine. 5E is just a force of nature, a snowball rolling down a mountain at this point.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Already see page 3 has some sales discussion...sorry for the repetition :)

The really weird part is that Hoard if the Dragon Queen is currently selling better than the PF2 Bestiary, which means more people are shopping on Amazon planning to run Tyranny if Dragons than are planning to GM PF2.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
The true test of PF2 is sales going forward. IIRC, the PF1 Core Rulebook's sales after a couple years were increasing each year. That's what PF2 will need to do as well to succeed. If the initial sales are all they have, they are in trouble. What will be interesting is the amount of product they end up producing. I'm amazed that D&D 5E is now 5 years old...and they only have 25 or so books out. After 5 years of Pathfinder, there had to be around 200 or so Pathfinder books.

It seems like Paizo is indeed making fewer books, but I think the sheer volume they made for PF1 was, ultimately, a problem.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The true test of PF2 is sales going forward. IIRC, the PF1 Core Rulebook's sales after a couple years were increasing each year. That's what PF2 will need to do as well to succeed. If the initial sales are all they have, they are in trouble. What will be interesting is the amount of product they end up producing. I'm amazed that D&D 5E is now 5 years old...and they only have 25 or so books out. After 5 years of Pathfinder, there had to be around 200 or so Pathfinder books.

It seems like Paizo is indeed making fewer books, but I think the sheer volume they made for PF1 was, ultimately, a problem.

22 hardcovers by the end of this year, and a couple of boxes sets. 5E overall sales have been growing by 30% a year up through last year, and do not seem to be getting worse.

CapnZapp

Legend
(and Red Sonya would be "the scarlett warmaiden" or the "saint blade").

RSA.jpg

57.jpg
Nice.

Would play.

Aldarc

Legend
I would definitely be curious how things might have differed had PF2 come out at early enough of a time when Matt Mercer would have considered it over 5e, though I think that the simplicity of 5e favors his playstyle. Still, Critical Role continuing with PF is one of the great "what ifs" of TableTop streaming.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases