Mad at Paizo?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
3rd edition (3.0, 3.5 and 3.75 (aka Pathfinder)) lasted more or less 20 years. That is almost as good as 1st edition D&D. It lasted 21 years. Pathfinder had a very good run. It even dethroned D&D for a while.

Paizo pas bound to make PF 2e. The dissapointment comes from the lack of backward compatibility. If people bought PF over 4e it was because of backward compatibility to 3.5. And superior quality.

As for announcing products a year in advance, Paizo has been doing that for ever. And people were complaining of the lack of monsters after 5e's launch, so this sounds like good business.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I won’t be playing it but I hope it’s a good game.
Is the PF1 stuff not really compatible?

Adventures are largely compatible if the monsters have been updated. They made a concerted effort to make sure monsters are of a comparable level. Character options largely are not.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To clarify, I didn’t comment on the probability of your being mad at Paizo for some reason, merely on your perception of them announcing a product as seeming “desperate”. I’m sure plenty of peopleare mad at companies for making new editions.

I wouldn't call it "desperate," but the pace at which they are putting information out there seems manic, compared to other companies.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On a recent news post about PF2E Bestiary 2, I was wondering if it was deseperation that announcing stuff so much in advance, to which point Morrus told me that I might be an outlier;

To which point I'm starting to wonder why I am so mad at them? It's totally normal for them to go forward and wanting to renew their franchise, DnD did that 5 times already (and I guess we'll see 6th by 2025). So why am I that mad at them? The only thing that I could find is that I'm sad to see all those books going to waste but that's only a material issue. It's like I feel betrayed.

Am I alone with this sentiment? It's a not a joke question, I'm truly curious about this.

Your books aren't going to waste, the Paizo Police won't confiscate your older material. I'm sure you are not alone in feeling upset, I'm more personally upset with them for failing to interest me.

darjr

I crit!
I'm worried they can't sustain their employee growth, they're quite a large company in terms of staff. If the tales of lacklustre sales continue, I'm worried if there will be mass layoffs.
Wait? What tales? The core book hit number one at Amazon for goodness sake. It made the bestseller list at FREAKING AMAZON.

That’s incredible sales.

I don’t have an iron in this fire. Im not a fan of PF2. FYI. So I’m not biased in that way. So I say this as a third party, PF2 has sold better than almost all other books. Not just RPGs, books!

If making the bestseller list on Amazon isn’t a sign of, not just good, but freakishly amazing sales, then there isn’t one.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm worried they can't sustain their employee growth, they're quite a large company in terms of staff. If the tales of lacklustre sales continue, I'm worried if there will be mass layoffs.

Like @darjr says, PF2 sales have been really great by industry standards: if these sales lead to layoffs, that would be due to a business side problem, not the game.

Wait? What tales? The core book hit number one at Amazon for goodness sake. It made the bestseller list at FREAKING AMAZON.

That’s incredible sales.

I don’t have an iron in this fire. Im not a fan of PF2. FYI. So I’m not biased in that way. So I say this as a third party, PF2 has sold better than almost all other books. Not just RPGs, books!

If making the bestseller list on Amazon isn’t a sign of, not just good, but freakishly amazing sales, then there isn’t one.
Like @darjr says, PF2 sales have been really great by industry standards: if these sales lead to layoffs, that would be due to a business side problem, not the game.

More talking about the hearsay of tons of product leftover at Gencon, and sure Amazon sales have initially been very good, incredible, but the question is whether they can sustain that. And it is looking like sales have been dropping quite a fair bit on Amazon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
More talking about the hearsay of tons of product leftover at Gencon, and sure Amazon sales have initially been very good, incredible, but the question is whether they can sustain that. And it is looking like sales have been dropping quite a fair bit on Amazon.

They've stabilized at a pretty great place, selling better than Starfinder or Call of Cthulu. Is it the best selling RPG of all time? No. If it needed to be they had deeper problems as a company.

The Gen Con thing is weird, though.

Remove ads