D&D 5E Magic Initiate & Favored Soul Domain Spells

AntlerDruid

Explorer
Is it possible to use the Magic Initiate feat to choose Favored Soul "domain' spells?

Since the Favored Soul is technically a "sorcerer" & the Favored Soul adds a Domain's spells to the Favored Soul's spell list, would they be an option for the Magic Initiate feat's 1st level spell? :confused: Such as a Life Domain Favored Soul "Cure Wounds" spell

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Yes, but all Favored Soul "Domain Spells" are are spells from the Cleric's spell list, right? I mean, they're not really "Favored Soul" spells...The Favored Soul uses Sorcerer spell list and gets "Domain" spells...and Domain spells just come from various other spell lists (including Cleric spells).

Since Magic Initiate is, (I would guess, deliberately) wide open that you can pick spells from any spell list you want, if you want spells that are on the Favored Soul "Domain" list, find the list they're actually taken from and, yes, Magic Initiate let's you take spells off that (single) list.

IF these "Domain" spells you appear to want are coming from two different class lists, then no. You're out of luck. You need to pick one and take spells from that 1 class' list. But, working off memory, I'm pretty sure most of the FS "extra spells" are coming from the Cleric list.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
No.

Magic Initiate allows you to add two spells from that class's spell list. That's the one in Chapter 11.

Favoured Soul adds spells to your character's known spells. It doesn't change the class's spell list.

Cheers!

Dausuul

Legend
I assume the real question being asked here is:

If I take the Magic Initiate feat and choose to take my spells from the Sorcerer list, does that allow me to pick Favored Soul domain spells?

And the answer is:

Nope.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think he wants the Cantrips from Favored Soul and Cure Wounds. That's the only reason I could think of for doing what he asks.

He might also want to have charisma and not wisdom as the casting stat. That's what *I'd* want, and that's why I shouldn't get it.

Remove ads