Make It Yourself

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Been meaning to reply to this for a while, but kept getting distracted.

Anyhoo, I'm all for some homebrew, whatever system you're using. Sometimes the game just needs something that isn't in it. And sometimes the system needs a complete overhaul.

Which is why I'm currently working on a HERO system version of Legend of the Five Rings. I like a lot of things about the game but, in the end, the system just doesn't work that well. So I'm homebrewing from the ground up, using HERO as the engine to put it in computer game speak. It's looking okay on paper. Now I just gotta convince my gaming group to be my guinea pigs...

aramis erak

Legend
I ran a BBS myself in the early 1990s. The number of people who were active in the predecessors of the World Wide Web was miniscule. The information being out there online by no means meant it was widely available.
The local BBS Scene in Anchorage, AK, USA, in 92 was about 250 people. The local RPG scene was about 400 people, based upon a registry and local con attendance. THere was a high overlap (felt like 50%, and of those who didn't do TT, quite a few did CRPGs, and discussed those.). This in a city of (at the time) about 280K people in city limits, and 350k in the Municipality.

Note that the police department was about 300, as a comparable number, plus 20 state troopers at the local Barracks. You were more likely to meet an RPG gamer than a cop. But, thanks to WWG, there was a rapid expansion in the number of gamers.

By 2013, the numbers were very different. In my class of 5th and 6th graders, 1/3 played Rifts or Palladium Fantasy regularly... Yes, I asked them. I got not a few book reports that would be perfectly reasonable reviews....

Remove ads