Man, Lords of Madness are looking awesome!!

Dausuul

Legend
Warriors of Eberron has the Fire Giant from Against the Giants. Sure, it's on a Heroscape base, but the new bases are made to fit with D&D and you can always rebase.

They are $2.79 (my mistake) from Auggies.

The Dragonborn Myrmidon is $1.99.... :)

Thanks! (I must spread some XP around, et cetera.)

For those interested, release date appears to be August 17th.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Some of them do look good, but it is disappointing that WotC is still stuck on cartoonish paint jobs. The garish, flamboyant colors on some are really offputting. It's also sad that some of the more interesting ones like the dragonborn spellcaster, demon lords, and dragons will be cost prohibitive to get either by buying cases or on the secondary market.

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm loving the new set, but I'm a minis junkie. seeing them first-hand was nice, even though my 6'3 1/2" had to kneeel to get a decent look. The Efreeti even looked nice (and IMO that has a really tough predecessor to measure up to and the preview picture didn't do it justice.)

Almacov

First Post
I mention this pretty much any time the question of minis I'd like to see pops up, but - hybsils.

They'd be a real challenge to produce (being small-sized, centaur-like creatures), but they'd be awesome to see.

(And hey, you could even tie them in with the Neverwinter Campaign Guide. See? Marketing! :p Even better if they're playable...)

I'm not sure why, but something completely sold me on these creatures. Possibly the 3.0 Monsters of Faerun illustration.

Pushing aside my desire for hybsil goodness though, Lords of Madness looks like an awesome, awesome set. :) Great work, Peter!

Oryan77

Adventurer
Yep, and it wouldn't sell at all.

I don't need any of these minis. What for?

Ah, I didn't put a smiley face so it was recognizable as being...ya know...a joke.

I sometimes forget how a smiley face makes or breaks an attempt at humor with gamers online. Of course you don't need those minis, that's why it's not to be taken seriously. :D

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
This is the best-looking set in YEARS!

Thank you, Peter Lee!

Which of these monsters are differently named in 3.x or earlier?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
As for what I would like to see.......

25% or so of player characters/NPCs, at least one of each new race that has appeared since the last set. Minis with less visible weapons or such would be cooler as they could be an implement user, or warrior with weapons/implements not drawn.

20% or so of classic monsters like dragons, undead, orcs, goblins and such for those jsut getting into the collecting/mini hobby?

25% monsters of a variety of types similar to ones already released in older products, either slight molding changes or repaints. I have no problems with repaints. Maybe taking old rares and downgrading them to uncommons or such would work. Do make them different though, to keep the old ones rare.

20% monsters that have come out since the last expansion. With 1-2 sets of minis a year, this is a lot easier than it used to be. Draw from Revenge and MMIII

10% of oddball monsters, either named NPCS or just whatever odd things are running through the designer's minds. No official stats for such creatures need exist.

Yes, this is aimed at everyone, but mostly people who have not bought a lot of them before. Those with extensive collections are much harder to please. It is better to aim at those who are new or casual to minis.

I also think for the most part that as many minis from each set as possible should be "edition neutral". The only reason people that didn't switch to 4E (the same ones that WotC apparently miss since they are trying to court them with Essentials) have to buy anything from WotC is to get dungeon tiles and minis. Having lots of 4E specific minis like the Fomorian Painbringer, and rot harbinger give them less reason to buy WotC minis. Even some of the edition neutral minis seem to be 4Eified with cartoonish paint jobs and a newer "4E" look which makes them barley recognizable as classic D&D monsters or just downright silly looking which also makes it less likely for them to be purchased by non-4E customers.

Herschel

Adventurer
Fomorians were around LONG before 4E, so were Dragonborn (half-dragon templates galore IME). So that arguement doesn't hold water.

(The new water archon might get a slight mod in to my Causticsoul Thaneborn Barbarian with his helm of battle)

Markn

First Post
This set does look good!

I do have a few questions though.

Any idea what the break down is in the box in terms of common/uncommon/rare? And what does the new Very Rare mean - is is 1 per 4 box? Does the Very Rare take the place of the Rare?

How many boosters are in a case?

As much as I am looking forward to the new set, I do NOT, repeat, do NOT like the Very Rare designation. I have collected DDM since Harbinger and will happily buy more unless I find the Very Rare's to be a pain to get. If thats the case, I will stop very, very soon.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Fomorians were around LONG before 4E, so were Dragonborn (half-dragon templates galore IME). So that arguement doesn't hold water.

(The new water archon might get a slight mod in to my Causticsoul Thaneborn Barbarian with his helm of battle)

So people should just sub dwarves for gnomes and halflings because they're all smallish?

The 4e dragonborn doesn't look like the 3e one or really, any other dragon variant we've seen.

Remove ads