D&D General Maps on D&DBeyond

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
This, but it also includes straight-up home-brewed monsters I've created. It even has the art.
I appreciate that my actual homebrew monsters can easily be tokened. But I'm also currently turning my NPCs into fake homebrew monsters, just so I can add them as counters on the map. Am I missing an easier trick to make quick NPC tokens (with art)?

Iosue

Legend
Here's the update to the road map. (Statuses are all by me.)
I like what I see so far, and would not be averse to running a game on this, but I think my players will want at least a draw tool before they are willing to switch from AboveVTT.
  • Tool Improvements
    Add a pointer tool and draw tool.
    • Status: Under construction. Neither yet available on the Alpha. It does not appear as though the ruler can be seen by other players, so I don't believe that can be used as a pointer.
  • Token Enhancements
    In-play token options and improved user experience for finding and adding tokens to a game.
    • Status: This item is colored green, which indicates it should be complete, but I'm not exactly sure what has been completed. Clicking on a token now provides a pop-up menu that allows you to hide/reveal a token, add a border, or delete it. I don't how the user experience has been improved for finding and adding tokens to the game. It seems the same as before.
  • Game Session Functionality
    Implementing session controls and a connected players menu.
  • Additional User Controls
    Adding a zoom control into the user interface (zoom in and zoom out).
    • Green. There is an indeed a zoom in/out option in the bottom right of the screen. A "-" button and a "+" button, with the map's size indicated between with a percentage. Clicking on the percentage automatically resets the map to 100%.
  • Tool Improvements
    Adding a polygon option into the Fog of War tool.
  • Game Log
    Including expanded roll details into the Game Log.
  • Added Accessibility
    Add a high contrast mode and additional user interface theming (light mode).
  • Additional Token Options
    Hide/reveal, rename, and adding game data.
    • Status: Under construction. Hide/reveal is possible, but not renaming, and there's no game data.
  • Measurement Tooling
    Ruler tool and integrated token movement measurement.
    • Status: Under construction. There is now a ruler, but integrated token movement measurement has not been implemented yet.
  • Tool Improvements
    Adding ping tool.
    • Status: Under construction, but not yet implemented in the Alpha.
  • Map Browser
    Overall UX improvements.

Here's the update to the road map. (Statuses are all by me.)
I like what I see so far, and would not be averse to running a game on this, but I think my players will want at least a draw tool before they are willing to switch from AboveVTT.
  • Tool Improvements
    Add a pointer tool and draw tool.
    • Status: Under construction. Neither yet available on the Alpha. It does not appear as though the ruler can be seen by other players, so I don't believe that can be used as a pointer.
  • Token Enhancements
    In-play token options and improved user experience for finding and adding tokens to a game.
    • Status: This item is colored green, which indicates it should be complete, but I'm not exactly sure what has been completed. Clicking on a token now provides a pop-up menu that allows you to hide/reveal a token, add a border, or delete it. I don't how the user experience has been improved for finding and adding tokens to the game. It seems the same as before.
  • Game Session Functionality
    Implementing session controls and a connected players menu.
  • Additional User Controls
    Adding a zoom control into the user interface (zoom in and zoom out).
    • Green. There is an indeed a zoom in/out option in the bottom right of the screen. A "-" button and a "+" button, with the map's size indicated between with a percentage. Clicking on the percentage automatically resets the map to 100%.
  • Tool Improvements
    Adding a polygon option into the Fog of War tool.
  • Game Log
    Including expanded roll details into the Game Log.
  • Added Accessibility
    Add a high contrast mode and additional user interface theming (light mode).
  • Additional Token Options
    Hide/reveal, rename, and adding game data.
    • Status: Under construction. Hide/reveal is possible, but not renaming, and there's no game data.
  • Measurement Tooling
    Ruler tool and integrated token movement measurement.
    • Status: Under construction. There is now a ruler, but integrated token movement measurement has not been implemented yet.
  • Tool Improvements
    Adding ping tool.
    • Status: Under construction, but not yet implemented in the Alpha.
  • Map Browser
    Overall UX improvements.
Thank you for this! I was going to have to go look for it.

Really sounds like they still have a long way to go, as some of this stuff is really basic and needed for VTT operation.

Clint_L

Hero
I appreciate that my actual homebrew monsters can easily be tokened. But I'm also currently turning my NPCs into fake homebrew monsters, just so I can add them as counters on the map. Am I missing an easier trick to make quick NPC tokens (with art)?
You can just create an NPC as a character and import any art that you want; that should allow you to call up a token for them. Alternatively, you could use an existing creature as a template for them and edit using the monster creator feature; this includes editing the art if desired.

Remove ads