Level Up (A5E) Martial Artistry (3pp book in the works) Ideas and Concepts

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Mageblade? Arcane Blade? Blade Magus? ;)

I am waiting for the GPG 2023 Annual to launch on Kickstarter. :) So I'll be able to see the Arcane Knight, Eldritch Blackguard and Comedic Jabs combat traditions some time from now. The Trickshot combat tradition sounds cool. :) I hope that it will cover all of the weapons that have the Thrown property, like the boomerang and the chakram.
I -could- co-opt Pathfinder's "Magus", for sure. Mageblade and Arcane Blade, though, aren't really covered by the core class. The Swordsage is really the 'melee/ranged mix' character, though any Warmage can survive in melee fairly well... up to a point. I took a glimpse at Valda's Spire to see about their subclass/archetype names but it's all "House of Bishops" and stuff so it wasn't terribly inspiring.

What about Warcaster? I'm aware there's a Warcaster minis game for futuristic War Machine gameplay from Privateer Press, and a 5e feat "War Caster" but honestly screw 5e and WotC...

Still covers the same concept, I think, without pigeonholing down to gish specifically?

Also the Arcane Knight and Eldritch Blackguard are both accessible on a5e.tools

Arcane Knight:

Eldritch Blackguard:

Pedantic

Legend
I -could- co-opt Pathfinder's "Magus", for sure. Mageblade and Arcane Blade, though, aren't really covered by the core class. The Swordsage is really the 'melee/ranged mix' character, though any Warmage can survive in melee fairly well... up to a point. I took a glimpse at Valda's Spire to see about their subclass/archetype names but it's all "House of Bishops" and stuff so it wasn't terribly inspiring.

What about Warcaster? I'm aware there's a Warcaster minis game for futuristic War Machine gameplay from Privateer Press, and a 5e feat "War Caster" but honestly screw 5e and WotC...

Still covers the same concept, I think, without pigeonholing down to gish specifically?
Maybe something like Siege Mage or Artillery Mage? Given you're presenting it alongside firearms, you could tie that flavor in, suggesting it's a parallel development, using magic in a similar high impact, pure combat way. Those also avoid the gish implication.

Maybe something like Siege Mage or Artillery Mage? Given you're presenting it alongside firearms, you could tie that flavor in, suggesting it's a parallel development, using magic in a similar high impact, pure combat way. Those also avoid the gish implication.
i mean, the problem with that is that now it excludes the (melee) gish.

Also the Arcane Knight and Eldritch Blackguard are both accessible on a5e.tools

Arcane Knight:

Eldritch Blackguard:
You could always co-opt 4e's Swordmage. :) ;) Warcaster sounds okay to me. It sounds appropriate for somebody whose magic allows them to literally own the battlefield. I can see them using a lot of buffs and debuffs on everybody to leverage out a fight.

Swordsage, a nod to the class from 3e's Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords?

I know. I regularly visit A5e Tools to see what's new. :)

Remove ads