• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Martials should just get free feats

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
In all fairness, ECMO3 has made their position incredibly clear. Fighter types (Including Rogue, Barbarian and Monk in there) should be weaker than spellcasters, who should be able to roughly approximate the combat abilities of those classes if they chose to go that route. I think that's silly for a class based system, but that is what it is.

For some maybe, but not for others. I've never felt bored playing a fighter partially because there is so much you can do with your action aside from those buttons.
Could you give us some recent examples? I'm always on the lookout for new things to try that will make my DM wince as she tries to adjudicate them.

I hate the 4e fighter because in the attempt to "balance" it with the other classes they gave it daily powers, encounter powers etc that are rougly on par with spells and detract from the fantasy surrounding the class.
What made you feel that? To me, the 4e fighter powers fit the "master of tactical and martial combat" fantasy extremely well.

I also hate that other classes can't come close to it in combat without using their powers or spells.
Why without using their powers or spells? Surely powers and spells are an inherent part of a class and so should be taken into account when comparing performance.
For example the bladesinger's power that lets it cast a cantrip spell alongside an attack is what lets it keep close or exceed fighter extra attack damage, but is also more thematic for the bladesinger than just giving them the same extra attack progression of the fighter.

Because races already shatter the laws of nature with their very existence.
Why not classes as well?

ECMO3

Hero
In all fairness, ECMO3 has made their position incredibly clear. Fighter types (Including Rogue, Barbarian and Monk in there) should be weaker than spellcasters, who should be able to roughly approximate the combat abilities of those classes if they chose to go that route. I think that's silly for a class based system, but that is what it is.
My only caveat to that is I would add "without spells" they should be weaker.

It is not that I want them weaker, I don't want them having extraordinary martial powers other classes don't get. If you are willing to give them spells I have no problem with them being just as strong or even stronger than spellcasters and that would truely balance the classes a lot better than giving them more martial powers would.

If it is balance you are really after, that is the best way to do it.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

It is not that I want them weaker, I don't want them having extraordinary martial powers other classes don't get. If you are willing to give them spells I have no problem with them being just as strong or even stronger than spellcasters and that would truely balance the classes a lot better than giving them more martial powers would.

No, that's not the best was—that is exactly the wrong way.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Instead of giving them a free Great Weapon Master feat, Fighters can get:

Power Attack​

Evocation cantrip
  • Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: 5 feet
  • Components: S M (A melee weapon with the heavy property)
  • Duration: Instantaneous
You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. You take a -5 penalty to hit for this attack, and on a hit the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, plus 10 damage of the same type as the weapon. If the weapon used has the reach property, you can cast it at a creature within 10 feet of you.
And with their extra attacks they can get something similar to the Bladesinger feature to swap attacks for cantrips so they can spam that.

ECMO3

Hero
Could you give us some recent examples? I'm always on the lookout for new things to try that will make my DM wince as she tries to adjudicate them.

Examples from actual play:

1. Tearing a tapestry off of a wall and throwing it over a medusa's head, then grappling her to eliminate her gaze attack. (successful)

2. When characters who tethered together already becuase they were on a slippery sloped corridor were attacked my character (a Goblin) ran under a large monster with the rope, then tripped him. (successful)

3. Kender Misty jumped on to a dragonnel that was trying to escape (partially successful, the Dragonnel did ot escape, but I plummeted and went unconscious when he died)

4. Running up the back of horses pulling a wagon and leaping through the air to grab on to a flying Cambion who was trying to steal a shield we had (unsuccessful)

5. Using Intimidate to call on enemies to surrender (used many times, successful sometimes, unsuccessful sometimes).

6. Using the help action so a Sprite familiar shooting arrows tipped with purple worm poison (in addition to her own poision) would have advantage on the attack. (successful)

7. Grappling enemies then moving them up to be attacked by allies who did not want to get hit, then moving them away. (successful)

8. Disarming an enemy of his legendary elemental weapon and then throwing it into a portal to close it. (successful)

9. Grappling two enemies then dodging on sucessive turns, giving them pretty cpermanent disadvantage on all their attacks. (done many times, usually sucessful).

Any player with good abilities can try these things, but the opportunity cost for doing them with a spell caster is generally very high. Figters and Rogues are ideal for these sorts of things do to the ability to have a high Strength and Dexterity without having to worry about a casting stat. IME you can also run a 10 or 12 Constitution on a fighter and invest in Charisma too, but I know most here will disagree with that, and not running a high constitution does necessitate a certain play style.

What made you feel that? To me, the 4e fighter powers fit the "master of tactical and martial combat" fantasy extremely well.

I hated three things about this:

First that not all classes could do them. You are talking about fighting with weapons, I get that people that train should be a little better, but not that much better.

Second it doesn't make much sense. I can take a rifle out to the range tomorrow and shoot all day long and it is not like I can say - Oh I am going to use my once a day expert shot now. I will be shooting pretty much the same at the end as at the begining

Third supernatural things like lightning bolt were about the same damage as their equivalent fighter powers. It shouldn't be, it should be a lot more.

I know people on this forum like 4E design, but I don't think that is a commonly held opinion.

Why without using their powers or spells? Surely powers and spells are an inherent part of a class and so should be taken into account when comparing performance.

Because the fighter can do it without using powers or spells. Spells are absolutly a part of performance and that is WHY casters SHOULD be more powerful than classes without spells.

If you don't like this then just give the fighter spells so they can keep up. That would be better than letting them just flat outclass every other class.

For example the bladesinger's power that lets it cast a cantrip spell alongside an attack is what lets it keep close or exceed fighter extra attack damage, but is also more thematic for the bladesinger than just giving them the same extra attack progression of the fighter.

They can't generally exceed the fighter's damage considering the larger number of attacks, fighting style and the extra ASI in the class. They can keep it close, especially if the fighter is not optimized for damage.

I am fine with the bladesinger, my point is I want to keep it close and if you make a mechanic that adds another 20 or so DPR to a fighter they won't be.

ECMO3

Hero
Instead of giving them a free Great Weapon Master feat, Fighters can get:

And with their extra attacks they can get something similar to the Bladesinger feature to swap attacks for cantrips so they can spam that.

I would be ok with that. I am not sure if you are saying it should be a feat any class can get (in which case it is pretty weak) or if it should be a cantrip all fighters get automatically or a fighting style unique to fighters?

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
No, that's not the best was—that is exactly the wrong way.
It is the most balanced way certainly. If you want the most "balance" possible this is the way to achieve that most effectively. It is the "best" in that regard.

You can call it "wrong" but I call the whole idea that classes need to be balanced "wrong" to start with.

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer

First, thank you for clarifying the part that I missed.

Secondly, while you do have a bit of point, namely that symmetrical balance is the easiest and more thorough way of achieving balance, it doesn't work well in a class based system because most people generally don't want a bunch of character classes that are mechanically identical. That was one of the complaints I saw about 4e in fact, regardless of whether one agrees with that take or not. So, I think most people want classes with different capabilities.

Which of course, makes balance a bit trickier. Asymmetrical balance generally is. However, I don't think that we should throw up our hands and just give up trying though.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.

It is not that I want them weaker, I don't want them having extraordinary martial powers other classes don't get.
may i ask why you fundamentally think that the fighter, the iconic champion of martial combat, should not have exclusive martial abilities that surpass the capabilities of other classes? the wizard has high level magics only they can use so why isn't the fighter allowed the same grace in their own area of expertise?, everybody has their own niche, the thing only they can do or excel at beyond everyone else and that's just balance in another form.

Remove ads