Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The movies are based in part on the Ultimate line of comics,where Nick is indeed black and done purposely on Jackson's likeness ot the the point where they had to let him play the role in the movies to use it.

Correct - there's been an African-American Nick Fury that looks like Samuel L Jackson for over a decade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury

It is not odd for them to use the Ultimate Fury here. Most of the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes at least some influence from the Ultimate line. The "Chitauri" from the Avengers movie, for example, are the Ultimates line version of the Skrull...

Felon

First Post
Kind of disappointing, really. It had some entertainment value, but two things really bugged me. One, wow this show is really white (J August Richards is just a guest star). Two, in one episode they pulled their punches two times: one foreman who seemed to be killed in a fit of rage, and one character who seemed to be shot in the head. Both are apparently fine. I don't like being lead to believe the show will examine the negatives of having superpowers and then being let down. If you're going to go there, go there.
Bear in mind that they don't even "go there" in the movies, where they go to assiduous lengths to avoid depicting death onscreen. After that climax where Coulson saves the day with a salvo of schmaltzy rhetoric, I'd say we're in for a lot of unilateral optimism.

As for the whole diversity thing, I can take it or leave it as long as it's not ham-fisted.

darrell_uk

Explorer
As to the guy being shot in the head a not dieing; was I alone then in spotting the heavy handed foreshadowing when the techies are introduced? Discussing a non-lethal gun that may never work, which penetrates the outer layers of the skin but no more. ( To paraphrase.)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
tumblr_mtv1xhU9kr1qfbt2oo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mtv1xhU9kr1qfbt2oo2_500.jpg

Howard Stark: "I did say a few years, did I not?"

frankthedm

First Post
Shame the super was just a one shot. I avoided most spoilers, so I missed the announcement that he was not The Hero For Hire. Kinda was hoping see a semi serious take on an every-man turned super dealing with desire to be a hero but still having bills to pay and wanting to enjoy a well to do lifestyle. It would have been a nice contrast with the Government funded agents or supers with bottomless bank accounts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...was I alone then in spotting the heavy handed foreshadowing when the techies are introduced? Discussing a non-lethal gun that may never work, which penetrates the outer layers of the skin but no more. ( To paraphrase.)

Nope, you were not alone.
The techies discuss (and show) a gun that can disperse chemicals to the body. They are then set to finding a cure, very sternly, by Coulson. They then show a guy getting shot in the head, and the marksman is holding aforementioned techie gun, and has a happy techie standing next to him, where none was before.

They also show the gent who was shot, and the pellet is still sitting there on his forehead, rather than having a big hole and blood on the floor.

The interpretation there's pretty obvious.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kinda was hoping see a semi serious take on an every-man turned super dealing with desire to be a hero but still having bills to pay and wanting to enjoy a well to do lifestyle. It would have been a nice contrast with the Government funded agents or supers with bottomless bank accounts.

I suspect Luke Cage is being saved for a time when they feel it right - he's got a lot of potential, and they probably don't want to waste that on a failed attempt.

Remove ads