• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I just bought this and after skimming through it, I must say that my first impression is that this is probably the best of the classbooks in all-around value:

The PrC's are non-campaign specific and pretty much all look cool and useful. MotW is how all the classbooks should have been, which is frustrating, because it will probably be the least used/least financially successful of the classbooks, due to the more limited scope of the classes it represents. That said, MotW does try hard to break the stereotypical image of barbarians, druids and rangers, and I think it succeeds... but the beauty part is that most of the PrC's and even the feats can be used by just about any class. The book is really much more useful than I ever expected, and also for a wider variety of things than its cover implies. For once, I am completely satisfied with a WoTC classbook purchase... Now, if I could just get my players to become barbarians, druids and rangers, LOL.

If you are going to buy the WoTC classbooks, Masters of the Wild and Tome & Blood deliver the most bang for your buck, unlike the sheer mediocrity of Song & Silence or the substandard Sword & Fist. Instead of Sword & Fist, I recommend getting Mongoose's The Quintessential Fighter, which not only delivers more pages for the same price, but delivers a wealth of quality crunchy bits as well for DMs and players alike.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
It is the best Class book so far. The Prestige Classes are the reason to buy this book.

Chapter 1: Nature's Lore: Insight on the 3 classes. Interesting read, but not really useful

Chapter 2: Skills and Feats: Not bad. Nothing , I would call really original or mind blowing.

Chapter 3: Tools of the Trade: Exotic weapons are cool, the magic items are neat. Infusions are really cool. Plants that act like potions would be a quick, yet not so accurate summary of them. :)

Chapter 4: Animals. Not bad, the more dire animals and the legendary animals are okay. I'd have perfered guidlines for making any animal as one of those types.

Chapter5: Prestige Classes: Excellent. No other book has made me want to play as many characters. Many are very origina, well done, and thought out.

Chapter 6. bad, first glance didn't show any game breakers, but again nothing I would call overly clever or original.

fba827

Adventurer
Thanks for the insight, both of you. The local WotC store here never knows anything and in fact (as of when I asked them today) still has no idea when to expect it. I like to support the local stores but convience (of wanting it now rather than unknown time) is starting to weigh in. ;-)

I did have one question regarding Crothian's post -

Crothian said:
Chapter 6. bad, first glance didn't show any game breakers, but again nothing I would call overly clever or original.

What's chapter 6 about? Would that be Feats? the often-requisite segment on strongolds applicable to the wilderness classes? Something else?

I'm guessing feats since you didn't mention them as part of the description on the other chapters...

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
fba827 said:
What's chapter 6 about? Would that be Feats? the often-requisite segment on strongolds applicable to the wilderness classes? Something else?

I'm guessing feats since you didn't mention them as part of the description on the other chapters...

Nope. It's spells (for druids mostly, plus a handful for adepts, rangers, clerics and a couple for sorcerer/wizards). Some are repeats from prior classbooks (briar web, slime wave). None seem super cool or broken at first glance, but I'm sure some will be useful. Some might even be cool, but I haven't had time to carefully read through them yet.

Last edited:

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I need info on the Exotic Weapon Master class. I already pre-ordered the book from Talon, but I'm afraid it won't get here before my next game. Can anyone tell me the prerequisites and some of the abilities of the prestige class?

Thanks,
-7th

Gumby

First Post
7thlvlDM said:
I need info on the Exotic Weapon Master class. I already pre-ordered the book from Talon, but I'm afraid it won't get here before my next game. Can anyone tell me the prerequisites and some of the abilities of the prestige class?

Thanks,
-7th
BAB: +6
Three Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats
Ability to Rage (?)

An interesting class, but I have no idea why Rage is a requirement.

nick

First Post
I heard something about an "Eye of Grummush" (sp?) prestige class. Could someone tell me the prerequisites for it? I ordered the book through Amazon, but now it is not available until the 6th :(
I am playing in a couple of days, and I want to be able to enter the prestige class before then with my barbarian character.
Thanks

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Gumby said:

Three Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats
Ability to Rage (?)

An interesting class, but I have no idea why Rage is a requirement.

I was wondering about that, myself. It makes no sense at all. Perhaps it's a typo or holdover from an earlier draft?

I wasn't terribly impressed with the "improvise weapon" abilities. Exotic Weapon Focus and Exotic Weapon Specialization were cool abilities, though.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
nick said:
I heard something about an "Eye of Grummush" (sp?) prestige class. Could someone tell me the prerequisites for it? I ordered the book through Amazon, but now it is not available until the 6th :(
I am playing in a couple of days, and I want to be able to enter the prestige class before then with my barbarian character.
Thanks

EYE OF GRUUMSH
Prerequisites
Race: Orc or half-orc
Alignment: CE, CN, NE
Feats: Exotic WP (Orc Double Axe), Weapon Focus (Orc Double Axe)
Special: Must be a worshipper of Gruumsh and must put out your own right eye in a special ritual. None of the Eye of Gruumsh special abilities function if you regain sight in both eyes.

Last edited:

Remove ads