• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
MythandLore said:

They wanted to make it for Barbs.
Or else monks and fighters could become it too.

So then there really is no reason for the requirement, LOL. I think the PrC will see much more use without such an ill-reasoned requirement. Fighters and Monks use exotic weapons far more than Barbarians, after all.

MythandLore

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Fighters and Monks use exotic weapons far more than Barbarians, after all.
That's the point, it's for Barb's.
Why they wanted for barbs I don't know.
Maybe cause the Book is about barbs rangers and druids.
Otherwise Fighters and monks would have a much easier path to get the class then Barbs would.
Deafeating the perpose of making a book about barbs.
I think it would have been better if it was made for anyone though.
Needing Rage is kinda lame.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
The game designers consider it poor form to make race or class a prereq for PrCs. Frankly, I agree with this and have therefore made Dwarven Defender and Arcane Archer for example free for all.

Sometimes, though, they really, really want a PrC to be exclusive to a certain race/class. That is when they introduce silly prereqs such as Rage. <irony>Perhaps aspiring Bladesingers should have "the ability to find secret doors without actively looking" instead of Elven Blood? </irony>

Klaus

First Post
Race is not considered a poor requirement. It adds flavor to a racial role. Examples include the Arcane Archer, Bladesinger, Dwarven Defender, Halfling Outrider, Tribal Protector and the Gnome Combat Miner (which is featured in Counter Collection 2).

Class, OTOH, is a poor requirement. The Exotic Weapons Master has a rage requirement, which only the Barbarian qualifies for in the Core Books. But if the DM creates a new class that gives rage, that qualifies the character for EWM. Even a race that has a natural rage ability (like a badger's) would qualify. So nowhere does it say the character HAS to be a Barbarian.

Not that "Rage" fits an EWM's image, but that a whole new story... :)

Gez

First Post
Yeah, asking for a specific class is not really a good idea, but it's an heavy used one. Is there any Sword & Fist class that didn't require Weapon Specialization or levels in Monk, for example ?

However, I have no problems with race requirement, as long as it is not a pretext to make elves the twinkiest race again.

Storm Raven

First Post
Gez said:
Yeah, asking for a specific class is not really a good idea, but it's an heavy used one. Is there any Sword & Fist class that didn't require Weapon Specialization or levels in Monk, for example ?

Um, yeah, there are lots.

Fist of Hextor, Cavalier, Halfling Outrider, Duelist, Ravager, Weapon Master, and Master Samurai just to name a few. The vast majority of Prestige Classes in Sword & Fist required neither Weapon Specialization or levels in the Monk class.

Trellian

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
The game designers consider it poor form to make race or class a prereq for PrCs. Frankly, I agree with this and have therefore made Dwarven Defender and Arcane Archer for example free for all.

Sometimes, though, they really, really want a PrC to be exclusive to a certain race/class. That is when they introduce silly prereqs such as Rage. <irony>Perhaps aspiring Bladesingers should have "the ability to find secret doors without actively looking" instead of Elven Blood? </irony>

So you have Tom, the elven Dwarven Defender? lol... kidding.. I guess you change the name and all.. I do not mind racial prestige classes, and am looking forward to a splatbooks with prestige classes for the various demihumans... and please.. make one book for ALL demihuman races, and not one for each.. that would've been to 2ed for me..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads