Matrix 4 Announced

Zardnaar

Legend
Nope it hasn't aged well and is often used for bad cgi examples.

Gen-X raged against the machine. Gen Y wish they have a machine. Similar thing with office space.

Zardnaar

Legend
I liked V for Vendetta, Sense 8, haven't seen the others. Didn't see the matrix to 2000. I remember buying the soundtrack to get free tickets to the midnight screening of The Phantom Menace.

Ryujin

Legend
So other than my initial reaction (Woah), here are my thoughts.

Despite what people might think now the first Matrix was insanely amazing and influential when it arrived. It was, for lack of a better phrase, the Citizen Kane of wire-fu in the western mainstream cinema; by which I mean that its influence is so pervasive that it is difficult to understand how groundbreaking it was at the time.

The second was good, the third ... a disappointment. That said, I have found everything the Wachowski sisters have done to be, at a minimum, interesting and visually arresting. V for Vendetta, Speed Racer, Cloud Atlas, Jupiter Ascending, and Sense8 ... none of them were perfect, but all of them were great because of their imperfections, because they tried and (sometimes) failed.

I am looking forward to this. If nothing else, it will be ... something. :)

The Matrix gave us "Bullet Time", which I don't recall seeing prior to that. Each of those other movies gave us something quite different, visually, and so are notable for that if nothing else. I quite enjoyed them all.

Kaodi

Hero
I did not watch the Matrix for seven years after it came out because I was so turned off by the unprecedented level of hype it had. Maybe things are different now but I remember university classes in 2007 - 2011 where it kept getting referenced. A sequel at this point will either be awesome or bloody awful.

Remember, in the original trilogy, they mentioned that "The One" was a cyclical event, and that he would be "reborn" every so often to reset things.

I can see how this could apply here. Problem is, how do they make it new, different and fresh?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It'll be interesting to see where the go with it. It's hard to see this as anything other than a cynical ploy to cash in on the current Keanussance. On the other hand, the Wachowski sisters don't do anything half-assed, even when they fail miserably, so it should at least be interesting, even if it's bad. I mean, nobody's going to call Jupiter Ascending a master craft in basically anything, but it was at least a lot of fun.

That said, the Matrix itself has had a bit of a renaissance as of late, particularly with the theories regarding parts of The Matrix being a trans coming out metaphor (which have gained renewed traction after both sisters themselves came out as trans, and especially with the new audience they picked up through their work on Sense8). Curious how deeply they explore those kinds of themes in a new Matrix movie now that they're both a) out and b) have a considerable trans fanbase. There's lots of thing you can accuse the Wachowski sisters of; subtlety ain't one 'em.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The Wachowski siblings have made one great movie, one good movie, and a whole lot of meh. But man was part 1 of the trilogy great, and part 2 was still pretty fun. They are lacking when it comes to deep story but knocked it out of the park action wise in the first two. Still a bit bitter at how they messed up V.... :mad:

Can Keanu put a small slice of the awesomeness that is John Wick into this? The gunplay should be over the top. If you see him doing 3 gun to prep for John Wick he isn't some chump needing a lot of editing to make him look capable.

Li Shenron

Legend
Meh... for me the first movie was awesome, but it should have been the last as well.

The second was useless and lame. It had Monica Bellucci in it, and that's a guarantee for failure, not because she's bad acting, but for some reason she and her ex-husband always chose horrible movies to be in.

The third was IMO better than the second, at least it had something to tell, and a conclusion.

Remove ads