D&D General Maybe I was ALWAYs playing 4e... even in 2e

Vaalingrade

Legend
I stopped collecting Marvel after the 15th time they swapped out the creative team of a comic I was reading, and the new team instantly dropped all the plots and subplots and interesting supporting characters to give the book a new, exciting direction!
Dropping plots? You were lucky!

My favorite all-time run was New Mutants vol2 / New X-Men: Academy X / Hellions.

In the course of a year, most of my favorite cast ever were: Depowered by Wanda Ruins Everything, placed on a bus out of the book -- only to have that bus hit by a missile, killing everyone aboard, then Icarus tricked by the obviously evil guy who killed the above only to have thi wings ripped off and bled out.

Then Hellion got his hands ripped off and a DC Comic Moment (they looove ripping off arms).

And since then, they've been demoted to cameos, with only Prodigy and Elixir finally getting on X-Factor twenty years later.

I complained about the bus stunt, and one of the writers mocked me for it and told me to write something better if I knew so much. So I embarked on a two-decade long career as a writer. The sad thing is, they're pretty good writing TV shows where executive producers don't let him kill children for no reason.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Dropping plots? You were lucky!

My favorite all-time run was New Mutants vol2 / New X-Men: Academy X / Hellions.

In the course of a year, most of my favorite cast ever were: Depowered by Wanda Ruins Everything, placed on a bus out of the book -- only to have that bus hit by a missile, killing everyone aboard, then Icarus tricked by the obviously evil guy who killed the above only to have thi wings ripped off and bled out.

Then Hellion got his hands ripped off and a DC Comic Moment (they looove ripping off arms).

And since then, they've been demoted to cameos, with only Prodigy and Elixir finally getting on X-Factor twenty years later.

I complained about the bus stunt, and one of the writers mocked me for it and told me to write something better if I knew so much. So I embarked on a two-decade long career as a writer. The sad thing is, they're pretty good writing TV shows where executive producers don't let him kill children for no reason.
Look, I somehow managed to survive the entire debacle that was the Trial of Gambit, hoping for a payoff, only for the creative team to be reassigned, and I had to make do with a freaking webcomic that was released years later, and I still don't know what the FRAK was going on!

i complained about the bus stunt, and one of the writers mocked me for it and told me to write something better if I knew so much. So I embarked on a two-decade long career as a writer. The sad thing is, they're pretty good writing TV shows where executive producers don't let him kill children for no reason.
yeah I can't imagine anyone pitching "Lets have a school bus full of kids blow up"

but twice I have read that scene from Marvel (remember Civil War opening) so not only must it have been pitched 2+ times... but okayed

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Who among you lovely folks remembers Golden Wyvern Adept?

See, following from Bo9S (the same product where D&D players first learned that outright lies and comparison to D&D's unrequited crushes like anime and vidja games could sway people against good products), WotC previewed the new edition with a feat for wand casters that had flavor referencing an organization of wand-based casters; the Golden Wyvern School.

The wonderful folks who are now champions of D&D flavor obviously loved this and... no wait, they ripped it to shreds. They filled several 50+ pages threads on how this was the worst thing to ever happen to D&D and how WotC should NEVER put flavor text into rules. They demanded WotC learn this lesson and never do this again.

Then WotC published clean rules with flavor text in the italics or in the headers for Races and Classes.

At which point, those guys collectively shouted 'GOTCHA!' and pounced on them, tearing them to shreds for not having feats just chock full of flavor text.

Old established lore = good
New lore no matter how good = bad

4e actually was a pretty lore rich game. It just had the wrong lore for many fans of the old lore. I personally think a lot of the Book of 9 Swords and 4e lore was pretty amazing stuff, particularly The Plane Above.

Look, I somehow managed to survive the entire debacle that was the Trial of Gambit, hoping for a payoff, only for the creative team to be reassigned, and I had to make do with a freaking webcomic that was released years later, and I still don't know what the FRAK was going on!
I have asked before on comicbook boards... "Can someone explain what is going on in this story like I was 5? cause I don't get it" so I understand.

Vaalingrade

Legend
yeah I can't imagine anyone pitching "Lets have a school bus full of kids blow up"

but twice I have read that scene from Marvel (remember Civil War opening) so not only must it have been pitched 2+ times... but okayed
Never underestimate the power of edgelords.

Same dude let them get away with the Lizard eating his child, Spidey making a deal with Not!Satan, and of course, Ultimate Marvel, AKA The Cannibal and Incest Power Hour.

Old established lore = good
New lore no matter how good = bad

4e actually was a pretty lore rich game. It just had the wrong lore for many fans of the old lore. I personally think a lot of the Book of 9 Swords and 4e lore was pretty amazing stuff, particularly The Plane Above.
the funny part is if you look at starwars you will see "The prequals ruined it..." 20 years ago but now fans of the prequals say "The sequals ruined it" about the new trilogy... and as much as I will NEVER defend the choices made in any of the 3 trilogies (and all have there flaws) I can't help but wonder if starwars is around when I am 60 if a new story will ruin the sequals and people will look back on Rey fondly...

bringing this back to the reason for threads like this. I hope someday 4e will be that old edition they go back to for inspiration.

Vaalingrade

Legend
It says something that Gambit is my favorite single character and I skipped this storyline when hitting the back issues.

Remove ads