D&D General Maybe I was ALWAYs playing 4e... even in 2e

Ah yes. "I'm the sophisticated connoisseur unlike you plebs" argument. Classic.
as oppsed to the guy coming into the thread to tell people not to make the thread, and go away...
Michelin star restaurants are hella rare
I didin't know that. I figured the tire company puts out books every year so they have to be adding every year, and I have seen so many cooking shows refrence the tire award that I asssumed there were alot.
and usually pretty damn expensive.
that can't be true I have seen them on drive ins and dives with the weird guy and the help show with the mean guy... no way all of them are expensive.
4e's position in its time was similar to the other editions. And it bombed..
no it didnt'

I hope everyone on this board and everyone they know someday see 1/2 the success of the things they say bombed (billion dollar movies, top tier games, best selling books ect.)

maybe he thinks I figured out the trick... he complaned through 4e and got 5e and now fears us getting 6e made for us.
I don't hate 4e and I didn't do much complaining (I mean sure, I had issues with it, but I've had some issues with every edition.) I played it quite a lot and if I had to choose, I'd say it is my second favourite edition (at least in "would you actually play it" sense rather than nostalgia good feels sense,) and there are certain things in it I wish 5e had retained. (Though overall I easily prefer 5e.) But it is not about my feelings, or yours; it just happens that it is the edition that made the brand crash and 5e is on that made it soar. And I doubt WotC is gonna forget that.

I don't hate 4e and I didn't do much complaining (I mean sure, I had issues with it, but I've had some issues with every edition.)
and yet here you are still thread capping
I played it quite a lot and if I had to choose, I'd say it is my second favourite edition (at least in "would you actually play it" sense rather than nostalgia good feels sense,) and there are certain things in it I wish 5e had retained. (Though overall I easily prefer 5e.) But it is not about my feelings, or yours; it just happens that it is the edition that made the brand crash and 5e is on that made it soar. And I doubt WotC is gonna forget that.
again I hope you see the success of at least 1/2 of 4e someday

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I don't hate 4e and I didn't do much complaining (I mean sure, I had issues with it, but I've had some issues with every edition.) I played it quite a lot and if I had to choose, I'd say it is my second favourite edition (at least in "would you actually play it" sense rather than nostalgia good feels sense,) and there are certain things in it I wish 5e had retained. (Though overall I easily prefer 5e.) But it is not about my feelings, or yours; it just happens that it is the edition that made the brand crash and 5e is on that made it soar. And I doubt WotC is gonna forget that.
You know that brings up an interesting topic for discussion. Why did 3.5 end anyways? Were sales dipping? Did the developers just want to do something new?

Or was the OGL and all the various "d20" games put out by other companies cutting into profits?

What would D&D be like if they hadn't made 4e at all, and continued with 3.5?

You know that brings up an interesting topic for discussion. Why did 3.5 end anyways? Were sales dipping? Did the developers just want to do something new?
I think it was mostly that. The edition was starting to get pretty bloated, but solving that didn't need such a drastic reboot.

Or was the OGL and all the various "d20" games put out by other companies cutting into profits?
Also a possibility.

What would D&D be like if they hadn't made 4e at all, and continued with 3.5?
Isn't Pathfinder basically that?

James Gasik

Supporter
Yes but what I'm saying is, would we have 5e the way it is now? How would the current version of D&D be different, if at all?

EDIT: Some aspects of 4e design remain, if altered. And the "back to basics" approach of 5e was obviously a reaction to changing the game too much, pushing it towards some future design the world wasn't completely ready for.

But if there was no 4e, the game wouldn't look like 5e or even Pathfinder 2.0, most likely. So would it be a streamlined, improved 3e? Or something else entirely?

Yes but what I'm saying is, would we have 5e the way it is now?
every time travel story ever tells me that a minor change like 3.5 staying in print leads to the worst time line. Plagues, despots, threat of or out right nuke war... wait Do I live in the worst time line!?!

What time Traveler stepped on a butterfly?

James Gasik

Supporter
every time travel story ever tells me that a minor change like 3.5 staying in print leads to the worst time line. Plagues, despots, threat of or out right nuke war... wait Do I live in the worst time line!?!

What time Traveler stepped on a butterfly?
Lol, maybe. As Snarf Zagyg pointed out in their recent thread, the problem with the "road not taken" is you can't go back.

But if 5e exists as a reaction to both 4e and Pathfinder, a world where neither exists is interesting. It could lead to a different version of Pathfinder, a sort of alternate universe 3.75 that has a goatee...but would some other game have risen to force WotC to change things?

I'm looking around and I'm not sure. Blades in the Dark? New Call of Cthulhu? New Cyberpunk? New Vampire?

(An awful lot of new versions of older games out there these days!)

Heck, maybe that's the answer. Nostalgia leads WotC to Old School Revivals, and the "5e" of the alternate timeline is full of rambling purple prose and strange, arcane rules strewn about haphazardly...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases