D&D General Maybe I was ALWAYs playing 4e... even in 2e

Aldarc

Legend
4e Ritual magic is perhaps the most authentic magic to come out of D&D ever. And being able to know an indefinite number and that means easily hundreds of them in late game 4e and use a true strategic resources and choices in how to apply them. The use of Arcana to modify them was something which made them pop even more (this was given as an example I think also in the DMG2) .
I know ritual magic is still a thing in D&D 5e; however, I find ritual magic from 4e far more to my aesthetic. It's so ho-hum in comparison. Ritual magic in 5e feels as if it glosses over the ritualistic aspects of rituals, that it's instead more about trying to avoid expending spell slots. There should be rituals in 5e that cannot be cast with spell slots at all.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Definitely spells should be grouped in "you cast this in action scenes" and "you don't cast this in action scenes". A lot of spells that don't really need to be one action to cast are, when they could easily be "ritualistic" magic.

Instead, casting times seem to be fairly arbitrary a lot of times, and the difference between 1 minute, 10 minutes, or 1 hour can feel academic. "You ain't doing this while there is impending danger" seems more than sufficient.

So in this tread several people have expressed their love to 4e and said or implied that it is their favourite edition. So my question is, why not just play 4e then, instead of constantly being angry at 5e for not being 4e? People still play far older editions and games.

It seems that majority of people in the current D&D sphere prefer 5e design paradigm over 4e, but it it's not like this is matter of objective better or worse; they simply are different games with differing design principles, so it is perfectly natural that some people prefer one while some the other.

Vaalingrade

Legend
So in this tread several people have expressed their love to 4e and said or implied that it is their favourite edition. So my question is, why not just play 4e then, instead of constantly being angry at 5e for not being 4e? People still play far older editions and games.
Because WotC's dumbass OGL killed it and the tools that supported it.
It seems that majority of people in the current D&D sphere prefer 5e design paradigm over 4e
The majority aren't even aware of the 4e paradigm because it's been like a decade, dude.

Aldarc

Legend
Because WotC's dumbass OGL killed it and the tools that supported it.

The majority aren't even aware of the 4e paradigm because it's been like a decade, dude.
Also what the majority prefers is kind of irrelevant. The majority of people may prefer 5e over other non-4e editions of D&D, but I'm glad that the OGL means that these editions are available for those who do prefer them to retroclone or hack them.

So in this tread several people have expressed their love to 4e and said or implied that it is their favourite edition. So my question is, why not just play 4e then, instead of constantly being angry at 5e for not being 4e?
well I can't speak for them all but in general the continued support of 4e is harder than 3e (no OGL so no PF like game) and as such as new players come in they are coming into 5e not 4e. I have tried to start up games here and there (I had a store game running for almost 8 months before covid killed it) but over all like most TTRPG player we want new stuff.

and 4e taught me a VERY important lesson, if you go and complain enough WotC will change things back, so even if all 3 of my games were 4e I would STILL be vocal on surveys tic tok redit and here about wanting them to go back to 4e style... that is after all what fans of 3e did (even coming onto 'we want warlord +" threads to tell us warlords are dumb or not needed...
People still play far older editions and games.
I know some of them. Most play with older gamers and have had no influx of new player or product in decades.
It seems that majority of people in the current D&D sphere prefer 5e design paradigm over 4e,
no way to know if people who prefer 4e paradigm don;t say it.
but it it's not like this is matter of objective better or worse; they simply are different games with differing design principles, so it is perfectly natural that some people prefer one while some the other.
and again here I am cheerleading the one I want 6e to be more like

Remove ads