MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
They might want to do a better job of editing the previews next time, as the war spider has a demon entry in it.

The art is great, I'm not sure if I'll like this more than the ToV monsters though....

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If I had known that the Slyflourish & Co monster book was gonna be announced I may not have supported this one, but at this point I am more excited about the former than the latter. While some of the general ideas of these monsters (based on the previews) are inspiring and I will definitely find stuff to lift for my own versions of some of these monters, their implementation doesn't jibe with what I consider best practices. For example the Hill Giant Flunky "Distracted" ability as a passive feature that requires the players to know (or be informed how it works) in order for it to work is not something I would ever use (and if I did use it I'd want the players to have to figure it out themselves - which is the opposite of what the given advice is). It also assumes group initiative with all the flunkies attacking on the same initiative, making it a useless power if you roll individual initiative (assuming I understand what is meant by the unclear "joining in the attack" language). Furthermore, my hope is my the monster description entry itself explains the in-game explanation for the "The Hills Are Alive" ability (I can imagine a few, but I'd like to know what the designers envisioned).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If I had known that the Slyflourish & Co monster book was gonna be announced I may not have supported this one, but at this point I am more excited about the former than the latter. While some of the general ideas of these monsters (based on the previews) are inspiring and I will definitely find stuff to lift for my own versions of some of these monters, their implementation doesn't jibe with what I consider best practices. For example the Hill Giant Flunky "Distracted" ability as a passive feature that requires the players to know (or be informed how it works) in order for it to work is not something I would ever use (and if I did use it I'd want the players to have to figure it out themselves - which is the opposite of what the given advice is). It also assumes group initiative with all the flunkies attacking on the same initiative, making it a useless power if you roll individual initiative (assuming I understand what is meant by the unclear "joining in the attack" language). Furthermore, my hope is my the monster description entry itself explains the in-game explanation for the "The Hills Are Alive" ability (I can imagine a few, but I'd like to know what the designers envisioned).
They only use group initiative for minions, IIRC. I get your points, though.

dave2008

Legend
They might want to do a better job of editing the previews next time, as the war spider has a demon entry in it.

The art is great, I'm not sure if I'll like this more than the ToV monsters though....
Maybe I am missing in it, but I don't see anything about a demon in the preview I was sent:
1686908933481.png

Remove ads