• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
They might want to do a better job of editing the previews next time, as the war spider has a demon entry in it.

The art is great, I'm not sure if I'll like this more than the ToV monsters though....

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
If I had known that the Slyflourish & Co monster book was gonna be announced I may not have supported this one, but at this point I am more excited about the former than the latter. While some of the general ideas of these monsters (based on the previews) are inspiring and I will definitely find stuff to lift for my own versions of some of these monters, their implementation doesn't jibe with what I consider best practices. For example the Hill Giant Flunky "Distracted" ability as a passive feature that requires the players to know (or be informed how it works) in order for it to work is not something I would ever use (and if I did use it I'd want the players to have to figure it out themselves - which is the opposite of what the given advice is). It also assumes group initiative with all the flunkies attacking on the same initiative, making it a useless power if you roll individual initiative (assuming I understand what is meant by the unclear "joining in the attack" language). Furthermore, my hope is my the monster description entry itself explains the in-game explanation for the "The Hills Are Alive" ability (I can imagine a few, but I'd like to know what the designers envisioned).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If I had known that the Slyflourish & Co monster book was gonna be announced I may not have supported this one, but at this point I am more excited about the former than the latter. While some of the general ideas of these monsters (based on the previews) are inspiring and I will definitely find stuff to lift for my own versions of some of these monters, their implementation doesn't jibe with what I consider best practices. For example the Hill Giant Flunky "Distracted" ability as a passive feature that requires the players to know (or be informed how it works) in order for it to work is not something I would ever use (and if I did use it I'd want the players to have to figure it out themselves - which is the opposite of what the given advice is). It also assumes group initiative with all the flunkies attacking on the same initiative, making it a useless power if you roll individual initiative (assuming I understand what is meant by the unclear "joining in the attack" language). Furthermore, my hope is my the monster description entry itself explains the in-game explanation for the "The Hills Are Alive" ability (I can imagine a few, but I'd like to know what the designers envisioned).
They only use group initiative for minions, IIRC. I get your points, though.

dave2008

Legend
They might want to do a better job of editing the previews next time, as the war spider has a demon entry in it.

The art is great, I'm not sure if I'll like this more than the ToV monsters though....
Maybe I am missing in it, but I don't see anything about a demon in the preview I was sent:
1686908933481.png

Remove ads