MCDM starts work on its RPG Monday!

Jaeger

That someone better
Note he says it isn’t going to be his fantasy heartbreaker but a designed game for his audience and developers.
Tactical and cinematic but not a heartbreaker. Not Matt's dream project. Collaboratively designed game by their team.

So a Fantasy Heartbreaker by committee then.

Totally different. ROTFL.:ROFLMAO:

That being said I'm actually looking forward to the glut of fantasy heartbreakers coming out in the next few years.

There should be some good D&D alternatives in there.

Somewhere.

As an example...

Success/failure. Roll 1d10, succeed on a 5+.

Advantage/threat. Roll 1d6-1d6. A positive result is Advantage; a negative result is Threat.

Triumph. Roll 1d4-1. A non-zero result is counted as Triumph.

Disaster. Roll 1d4-1. A non-zero result is counted as Disaster.

A dice pool system with five normal dice. Chances are good if you're on this site you already have enough dice to use this system. I literally have the dice to do this sitting on my desk. As long as the d6s and d4s are different colors, you can make one roll and know without much work the same things you could with several sets of custom dice that you'll have to learn the symbols for and translate into a result.

I really hope Matt's team talks him down from specialty dice. But, even if they don't, I'll still check it out.

Best counterargument against funky dice I've seen.

Snipped, and Thank you.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
So a Fantasy Heartbreaker by committee then.

Totally different. ROTFL.:ROFLMAO:

That being said I'm actually looking forward to the glut of fantasy heartbreakers coming out in the next few years.

There should be some good D&D alternatives in there.

Somewhere.
There are some great ones out there already. I'm going to be rotating through them as side games for my group starting this weekend. And a lot of them are on deep discount right now, both to attract new players and because some publishers are afraid this is their last hurrah. It's a good time to test some out.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I have been looking for an excuse to drop 5E for years, I now realize, and the OGL kerfuffle has provided the perfect opportunity.
Yeah, it really is. I’ve always been a try different systems type but this has pushed a lot of D&D-only people into finally giving other games a chance. I hope it lasts.
There are some great ones out there already. I'm going to be rotating through them as side games for my group starting this weekend. And a lot of them are on deep discount right now, both to attract new players and because some publishers are afraid this is their last hurrah. It's a good time to test some out.
Here’s to hoping not too many publisher fold because of this. It’s inevitable some will, unfortunately.

That's fantastic news. Big sigh of relief.

You should check out his Tuesday stream. He may have reverse course because he said can't get the kind of results he wants without funky dice. He's meaning more like FFG dice or Genesys dice, not merely dice that are easily mapped to a normal scheme.

As he describes it, the problem is inherent to how traditional dice are swingy. The d8, his example, has one face with one value, and another face with a value 8 times the value of the first, and both results are equally likely. The fact that sometimes a sword does 1 damage and sometimes it does 8 means you have to build in a lot of numeric padding. Since he's trying to build a game where irrelevant things don't even happen (hence, no to-hit rolls) or at least not with the dice, it's difficult to design around. I see where he's coming from.

However, he does say that he's going to do as much as he possibly can to make the dice freely available, including freely available 3d printed plans or maybe a dice app.

You should check out his Tuesday stream. He may have reverse course because he said can't get the kind of results he wants without funky dice. He's meaning more like FFG dice or Genesys dice, not merely dice that are easily mapped to a normal scheme.

sickos-sicko.gif

Zaukrie

New Publisher

As he describes it, the problem is inherent to how traditional dice are swingy. The d8, his example, has one face with one value, and another face with a value 8 times the value of the first, and both results are equally likely. The fact that sometimes a sword does 1 damage and sometimes it does 8 means you have to build in a lot of numeric padding. Since he's trying to build a game where irrelevant things don't even happen (hence, no to-hit rolls) or at least not with the dice, it's difficult to design around. I see where he's coming from.

However, he does say that he's going to do as much as he possibly can to make the dice freely available, including freely available 3d printed plans or maybe a dice app.
I like the randomness of damage. I'd be good with not rolling to hit, but I don't want to play chess.

SakanaSensei

Adventurer
I like the randomness of damage. I'd be good with not rolling to hit, but I don't want to play chess.
You still (likely, the whole game is up in the air) roll dice. Your d8 just might have:
1 damage
1 damage
2 damage
1 damage
1 "surge "(that abilities, items, etc. might trigger from)
2 surge
1 crit (which they've mentioned might give you up to 1 additional action a round),
1 crit 1 surge

as faces. Because the designers get that more minute control, you don't have problems coming up of "this round I was a whole 1/8th as effective as last round."

Remove ads